Prospect Info: 2023 91st Overall - Emil Pieniniemi

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Kingston isn't exactly a paragon of prospect development.
They had a not-great season but have a lot of returning 2004 and 2005 birthdates so at a glance I’d say they’ll be reasonably competitive, possibly one of the better clubs. Definitely some holes to fill on D, however, with several guys aging out. So good spot for Pieman.

Nathan Moon played for them way back when. And Drew Fata.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
@Sidney the Kidney he'll be local to you no?

I have to say that while I've never been led to believe Kingston is a prospect paragon, I prefer it to being stuck in the Finnish system not getting enough touches to learn how to pass and carry the puck to an NHL level.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
@Sidney the Kidney he'll be local to you no?

I have to say that while I've never been led to believe Kingston is a prospect paragon, I prefer it to being stuck in the Finnish system not getting enough touches to learn how to pass and carry the puck to an NHL level.
I haven't followed the Frontenacs much this past season. Wasn't aware he was their import pick.

While there are outliers, and while I agree that playing the "North American game" might be better for his transition to the NHL/AHL game, I'm always leery of any player actually improving their overall game with Kingston. Kingston has a rare knack for taking a guy with a lot of potential and somehow stunting his overall upside.

They had a not-great season but have a lot of returning 2004 and 2005 birthdates so at a glance I’d say they’ll be reasonably competitive, possibly one of the better clubs. Definitely some holes to fill on D, however, with several guys aging out. So good spot for Pieman.

Nathan Moon played for them way back when. And Drew Fata.
Luca Caputi is the coach. He's about as good a coach as he was an NHL winger.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Their website also says Jacques Martin is a "senior advisor."

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Pieniniemi is the first prospect from the Penguins' 2023 draft class to get signed:

I know he was just drafted via the European Import Draft into Major-Juniors, but since the Pens drafted him before that, I don't think the restriction on when they can bring him to the AHL applies.
Could be interesting to see how they manage that.

That said, I expect they'll send him over to the Major-Junior team after rookie camp this year. Just could be interesting to see if they decide to send him to the AHL next year, since they have that option.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
So his name means “little cape” in Finnish…I at first read that as “little cap” and thought how appropriate that was for a hockey player lol…

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Lil Kap

Kasperi-Kapanen.png

Reactions: KareemTrustfund

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
When he was discussed in the summer the assumption was he was headed to Kingston. Instead, he returned to Finland, first playing with Karpat's men's team and he also played for Finland's U20 team in Gothenburg.

Any updates on his progress to this point? He is the youngest player in Oulu's lineup.

Last edited:

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
When he was discussed in the summer the assumption was he was headed to Kingston. Instead, he returned to Finland, first playing with Karpat's men's team and he also played for Finland's U20 team in Gothenburg.

Any updates on his progress to this point? He is the youngest player in Oulu's lineup.

Seems to be pretty decent at getting shots on the net based on his game log from EP.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad