Prospect Info: 2023 91st Overall - Emil Pieniniemi

Lust for Life

Jun 30, 2018
Last edited:

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
Based on the numbers where he was ranked, he seems like a bit of a reach.

And the ESPN guys said "depth" about five times when the pick came in. Also said he was very solid defensively.

Finns are my favorite, so I'm excited to see how he develops.

Reactions: NJPens66

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Based on the numbers where he was ranked, he seems like a bit of a reach.

And the ESPN guys said "depth" about five times when the pick came in. Also said he was very solid defensively.

Finns are my favorite, so I'm excited to see how he develops.

I think they meant that he was a depth D for Finland's WJC team.

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
In case anyone stumbling into this thread is wondering why we picked 91st instead of 90th:

Also, both of the players we've picked so far were rated higher than we took them by The Hockey News and lower by just about everyone else. Lol.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
Pittsburgh Penguins
@Penguins
·
2m
Pieniniemi on being drafted by the Penguins: “I feel so good! I have been dreaming about it all my life… I’m a good two-way defenseman and can skate well.”

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Surprised you don’t go Perron there. Oh well.

Words out of my mouth.

Not much more than a quiet shrug right now. One of only two u18 dmen to play in the Liiga this season - okay, only one game, but still impressive. But then... can't really find a Finnish dman who's made the NHL who wasn't a Liiga regular in D-1.

But hard to get excited about a guy who shows flashes of offensive skill in a league that feels pretty bad at developing that in dmen.

Last edited:

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I tend to like prospects whose names end in "niemi" therefore I like this kid.

Just from some of the scouting reports, sounds like a decent 3rd round pick for us. Something to consider, I wonder how much Dubas knew about guys out this far from his time in Toronto. Possible that he is getting two forms of scouting opinions. That said, I imagine he's leaning on the Penguins staff pretty hard which is fine. Just something I'd be curious about.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Pittsburgh Penguins
@Penguins
·
2m
Pieniniemi on being drafted by the Penguins: “I feel so good! I have been dreaming about it all my life… I’m a good two-way defenseman and can skate well.”
It’s funny how it reads like he said that unprompted.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I tend to like prospects whose names end in "niemi" therefore I like this kid.

Just from some of the scouting reports, sounds like a decent 3rd round pick for us. Something to consider, I wonder how much Dubas knew about guys out this far from his time in Toronto. Possible that he is getting two forms of scouting opinions. That said, I imagine he's leaning on the Penguins staff pretty hard which is fine. Just something I'd be curious about.
I'd hope not considering how shitty our drafting has been the past, oh, decade.

To be honest, I'd rather Dubas be pushing for prospects that his Toronto staff viewed highly rather than whoever the Pens' staff views highly.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad