Speculation: 2023-24 Sharks Roster Discussion

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Which is somewhat ironic because if the Sharks had even just a capable 3C in some of their better years, they might have a cup. You definitely don't need "a bunch" of Boninos, but time has shown you definitely need 1-2.
And we can get those in FA or the second round or the third.

Reactions: DG93

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Last edited:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Well considering all those guys with exception to Smith careers are actually worse then Griers and are in fact trash. I’d say I’m not to far off, the sharks will be lucky if Smith pans out to be as good as David Legwand which isn’t a huge leap above peak Grier.

Grier is like the raccoon of NHL GM’s he’s happy picking up everyone else’s garbage and call it a treasure. So yes they are garbage tier Grier players

I gave Grier to much credit for some reason I thought he was closer to a 50 pint guy not 40 my bad
I would tread very carefully using this sort of language. It'd be very easy to interpret this as problematic.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
I would tread very carefully using this sort of language. It'd be very easy to interpret this as problematic.
Eh. IMO, It was contextualized just fine. Anyone offended by that simile is looking for a reason to be offended.

Frankly, I’m more put off by the “picking up everyone else’s garbage and calling it treasure” - which seems to be mischaracterizing what’s happened and how Grier has spoken about these additions. I can’t recall any press conferences where Grier has effusively showered praise on any of the pickups. IIRC he’s essentially said “we like what X player brings in Y dimension. Hopefully he can make a place for himself in our future plans.” Which seems a long way off from “calling it treasure”.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Justin Bailey I think is the only new name here. Big forward that played on the Condors last year. He'd be a real good AHL get, basically exactly what that forward group needs.

I said this last year on the Oilers board but deserves a repeat since it's with the Sharks now:

His parents used the cheat code but he didn't get the power ups.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Eh. IMO, It was contextualized just fine. Anyone offended by that simile is looking for a reason to be offended.

Frankly, I’m more put off by the “picking up everyone else’s garbage and calling it treasure” - which seems to be mischaracterizing what’s happened and how Grier has spoken about these additions. I can’t recall any press conferences where Grier has effusively showered praise on any of the pickups. IIRC he’s essentially said “we like what X player brings in Y dimension. Hopefully he can make a place for himself in our future plans.” Which seems a long way off from “calling it treasure”.
I don't think it was contextualized just fine. I think especially with their consistent criticisms of Grier since the beginning that it was just looking for an excuse to describe him as a raccoon...something that is problematic to say the least rather than looking for a reason to be offended.

mogambomoroo

Oct 12, 2020
San Jose Sharks

My everything goes right projection for 2023-24 season:
Forwards:
Eklund - Hertl - Zadina
Barabanov - Couture - Duclair
Peterson - Granlund - Hoffman
Kunin - Sturm - Zetterlund

Defence:
Thrun - Mukhamadullin
Ferraro - Rutta
Vlasic/Knyzhov - Benning
Burroughs

Goalies:
Blackwood
Kähkönen

Special Teams:
PP1:
Hertl, Couture, Duclair, Eklund, Mukhamadullin
PP2: Granlund, Zadina, Barabanov, Hoffman, Thrun

PK1: Sturm, Zetterlund/Kunin, Thrun, Rutta
PK2: Couture, Eklund, Ferraro, Mukhamadullin
Optional PK3: Hertl, Zadina, Vlasic, Benning

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
MY everything goes right projection for 2023-24 season:
Forwards:
Barabanov - Hertl - Duclair
Eklund- Couture - Zadina
Peterson - Granlund - Zetterlund
Kunin - Sturm - Hoffman

Defence:
Ferraro - Mukhamadullin
Thrun - Rutta
Knyzhov - Benning
Vlasic

Goalies:
Makaniemi
Kähkönen

Special Teams:
PP1:
PP2: Granlund, Zadina, Barabanov, Hoffman, Knyzhov

Last edited:

mogambomoroo

Oct 12, 2020
MY everything goes right projection for 2023-24 season:
Forwards:
Barabanov - Hertl - Duclair
Eklund- Couture - Zadina
Peterson - Granlund - Zetterlund
Kunin - Sturm - Hoffman

Defence:
Ferraro - Mukhamadullin
Thrun - Rutta
Knyzhov - Benning
Vlasic

Goalies:
Makaniemi
Kähkönen

Special Teams:
PP1:
PP2: Granlund, Zadina, Barabanov, Hoffman, Knyzhov

I like splitting Thrun and Mukhamadullin if they can manage to make their respective pairs work.
Also Vlasic as a 7th D is music to my ears, really sorry to say that. I feel like his veteran presence has negative value, since he hasn't had a good season in ages. That could change but likely doesn't.
Hopefully Mäkiniemi can become our 1A or 1B. I will give Blackwood a chance since he is probably much higher in depth chart for now.

Reactions: PacificOceanPotion

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
I like splitting Thrun and Mukhamadullin if they can manage to make their respective pairs work.
Also Vlasic as a 7th D is music to my ears, really sorry to say that. I feel like his veteran presence has negative value, since he hasn't had a good season in ages. That could change but likely doesn't.
Hopefully Mäkiniemi can become our 1A or 1B. I will give Blackwood a chance since he is probably much higher in depth chart for now.
Yeah, Knyzhov is better in every way compared to Vlasic at this stage in Vlasic career. Muk and Thrun are interchangeable up and down those pairings as we don’t have a clearl top pairing on D. I really hope that Blackwood can have a Renaissance in his career but for right now I’m going with the younger more talented guy in Makiniemi. Also, I don’t know exactly how likely this is but don’t sleep on Robins or Ozzy making this team in our bottom six potentially making 2 bottom six veteran wingers expendable.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
Yeah, Knyzhov is better in every way compared to Vlasic at this stage in Vlasic career. Muk and Thrun are interchangeable up and down those pairings as we don’t have a clearl top pairing on D. I really hope that Blackwood can have a Renaissance in his career but for right now I’m going with the younger more talented guy in Makiniemi. Also, I don’t know exactly how likely this is but don’t sleep on Robins or Ozzy making this team in our bottom six potentially making 2 bottom six veteran wingers expendable.
I know Vlassic declined a lot from his peak but he did have a bounce back year last year. He was probably the second or third best defenseman last year behind EK and maybe Benning. Which is more a testament to how bad the D is.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
I know Vlassic declined a lot from his peak but he did have a bounce back year last year. He was probably the second or third best defenseman last year behind EK and maybe Benning. Which is more a testament to how bad the D is.
I don't think Vlasic bounced back, I think he got carried by Benning, which is an astoundingly sad sentence.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
He most certainly bounced back. His effectiveness was much better regardless of whom he paired with.
The vast majority of his time this year was with Benning, who is a better puckmover than anyone save Karlsson on last year's team. Benning also took the physical role and allowed Vlasic more room. Last year, Vlasic was shifted among several partners - mostly Meloche, Simek, and Merkley, who I guess could make up a mediocre AHL defensive corps.

Vlasic got more minutes (with Burns gone, there was no one else), and picked up a few more secondary assists - frankly, because of Benning. I suppose, in a way, that is a bounce back. It also doesn't represent anything positive about Vlasic himself - merely that, when paired with a 7D like Matt Benning, he manages to get back up to 7D status, which is where he's topped out for the last five years. He's not good, he wasn't good last year, he won't be good this year - if it wasn't for his contract, he'd have been out of the league three years ago, because he's a poor defensive player who is utterly hopeless offensively.

The Vlasic extension might be the worst contract in the entire NHL over the last five years, and we still have three more years of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad