F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
They played harder then us.
1712764272578.png

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
He looks tired, if not slightly burnt out and it’s to be expected. Once we clinch there is a case for sitting him simply for a rest.
Yea if they clinch Kopitar, Byfield, Moore and Laferriere could use a rest. Doesnt have to be all at once.
Turcotte has been practicing so maybe he can sub in. Maybe Grundstrom. Or they can call up Fagemo, Tynan, Ward or Helenius to get a cup of coffee.
Gavrikov Roy and Mikey also can use a rest. Moverare and Clarke can come in.
Kempe and Fiala are getting too hot right now to take them out of the routine and Danault just had some days off so they should be good.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
one thing i didn't understand, maybe i missed it... but why is Byfield playing 11mins?? What did he do?

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Byfield did what I think he needed to do this year, I think 20 goals 50-60 points after previous disappointments was a reasonable expectation and he's going to fall right into that range.

I do think there was a bit to much tire pumping a month or two ago.

"Best player from his draft"
"Wouldn't trade him straight up for Tkachuk"
"More valuable than Jack Hughes"

I still think he ends up being similar and maybe a bit better than what "he-who-shall-not-be-spoken" was before his arrival in LA. Hopefully he is able to keep it going past age 25.

I still think he's good enough where you have to give him the 8 year deal, especially considering how bare the cupboard is with other young prospects due to bust picks, traded picks and traded young players.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Byfield did what I think he needed to do this year, I think 20 goals 50-60 points after previous disappointments was a reasonable expectation and he's going to fall right into that range.

I still think he ends up being similar and maybe a bit better than what "he-who-shall-not-be-spoken" was before his arrival in LA. Hopefully he is able to keep it going past age 25.

I still think he's good enough where you have to give him the 8 year deal, especially considering how bare the cupboard is with other young prospects due to bust picks, traded picks and traded young players.

Byfield absolutely did what he needed to do, he's just hit a plateau right now, mentally, physically, he's being scouted etc, he has to adjust to that, and he will be fine....

Not sure I would trade him for anyone else right now, forward wise at least etc, the kid is still want, 21-22.....so I expect there to be more growth in there.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Byfield absolutely did what he needed to do, he's just hit a plateau right now, mentally, physically, he's being scouted etc, he has to adjust to that, and he will be fine....

Not sure I would trade him for anyone else right now, forward wise at least etc, the kid is still want, 21-22.....so I expect there to be more growth in there.

You would not trade Byfield for any of those 3 guys?

You act like they are all 29 or something.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
You would not trade Byfield for any of those 3 guys?

You act like they are all 29 or something.

There's only 2..unless your talking both Tckachuks?

Not sure I would to be honest....all 3 are really good players, I think Byfield ceiling eclipses them....

Reactions: Surf Nutz

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
There's only 2..unless your talking both Tckachuks?

Not sure I would to be honest....all 3 are really good players, I think Byfield ceiling eclipses them....

J. Hughes, Stutzle and B. Tkachuk.

I disagree with you on the other 2, but sure you can make a case. With Hughes I just don't see how anyone could, I think you drastically sell Jack Hughes short if you wouldn't trade Byfield for him. There are 3-4 players in the league that can do what he can do with the puck at full speed, and he's 15 months older than QB.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Yea if they clinch Kopitar, Byfield, Moore and Laferriere could use a rest. Doesnt have to be all at once.
Turcotte has been practicing so maybe he can sub in. Maybe Grundstrom. Or they can call up Fagemo, Tynan, Ward or Helenius to get a cup of coffee.
Gavrikov Roy and Mikey also can use a rest. Moverare and Clarke can come in.
Kempe and Fiala are getting too hot right now to take them out of the routine and Danault just had some days off so they should be good.
They have used at least 3 of 4 recalls in Moverare, Turcotte and Thomas. I thought they had used one more but must be wrong and I realise you said ‘or’ when you listed the options. If think they are likely to use that recall for Clarke, especially as Kaliyev is there. If they were to use a recall to bypass him then he may as well pack up for the summer now.

I still definitely agree with the quotes even if he hasn’t YET reached that level… they will be true within a year or two.

Reactions: Schmooley

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
They have used at least 3 of 4 recalls in Moverare, Turcotte and Thomas. I thought they had used one more but must be wrong and I realise you said ‘or’ when you listed the options. If think they are likely to use that recall for Clarke, especially as Kaliyev is there. If they were to use a recall to bypass him then he may as well pack up for the summer now.

I still definitely agree with the quotes even if he hasn’t YET reached that level… they will be true within a year or two.

I must have a wildly different opinion on Jach Hughes than some of you.

I see one of the most electric players in the sport, who is still only about to turn 23. Do you just think that Hughes is going to stagnate? (Where I think he may take the next level to be a MacKinnon kind of player). Or do you think Byfield is going to develop into Malkin?

It has to be one or the other, I think.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014

I disagree with you on the other 2, but sure you can make a case. With Hughes I just don't see how anyone could, I think you drastically sell Jack Hughes short if you wouldn't trade Byfield for him. There are 3-4 players in the league that can do what he can do with the puck at full speed, and he's 15 months older than QB.
I think with Hughes, even if I think QB will be just as valuable (albeit different), you likely make that trade as when you are talking about that tier of player you take the guarantee of the player showing delivering at the higher level… probably.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
It's funny. There are some bad seasons in Kings history...a lot more bad than good. But even in the bad you got the sense we were building towards something...exciting youth, a high draft pick, some passion and fun, at least physical play for pride.

This might be one of the most pointless and depressing seasons in Kings history, watching a capped out, aging out, boring, soft, answerless team devoid of futures flail around buoyed only by a hot start, hurtling towards an endless black hole guided by incompetent executives whose understudies that would inevitably take over might be worse than they are and being fellated by the local media for it.

Now I remember why I was losing interest in hockey the FIRST time Blake burned the franchise on his way out, thanks Rob, for being such a pivotal figure in LA hockey.
I still can't believe the Kings retired Blake's number. Just another dumb decision by Luc and team executives.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I must have a wildly different opinion on Jach Hughes than some of you.

I see one of the most electric players in the sport, who is still only about to turn 23. Do you just think that Hughes is going to stagnate? (Where I think he may take the next level to be a MacKinnon kind of player). Or do you think Byfield is going to develop into Malkin?

It has to be one or the other, I think.
I think Byfield’s physical stature will turn him into something very special. He’s still a way from his full physical strength and we’ve seen spells of him asserting himself physically. He’s just on a different path to reaching his ceiling which I’ve always said was very high and what I’ve seen this season has strengthened that view. I think he’s also demonstrated a growing leadership strength which I hadn’t factored in.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I still can't believe the Kings retired Blake's number. Just another dumb decision by Luc and team executives.

Not only with the 2001 ripping of the C BS. But I think what happened at the 2008 deadline was just as bad. Blocking a trade to SJ at the deadline, only to turn around and sign with SJ that summer.

The loyalty shown by the organization to the player greatly exceeds the loyalty the player has shown the organization.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I think Byfield’s physical stature will turn him into something very special. He’s still a way from his full physical strength and we’ve seen spells of him asserting himself physically. He’s just on a different path to reaching his ceiling which I’ve always said was very high and what I’ve seen this season has strengthened that view. I think he’s also demonstrated a growing leadership strength which I hadn’t factored in.

I understand a slower development process for some players. But you are talking about a player that in his age 20-21-22 seasons has scored at a 102 point and 43 goal pace. That is higher than Mack at the same age. I'm not saying Hughes will reach the levels that Mack has this season, but it's certainly possible, he will surely get better as well, right? That was my point, either you think Hughes has peaked or you think Byfield will be better than Hughes even if he develops into a perennial 110+ point guy, which to me puts Byfield as a Malkin caliber player.

The historical comps for what Hughes (and to some extent Stutzle) have done at this age, leads one to believe that both are destined for huge stardom, just very few players have produced this way at their age who don't become huge stars. So if QB is going to top them, he has to be a destined to be a huge MVP caliber player. n

Reactions: lumbergh

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

Maybe, honestly I just don't like his game.....very skilled, but there's something lacking....and Byfield doesn't have it either.....but has more of it I guess you can say....

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023
The jersey retirement was announced shortly after he was announced to be going to the Hall of Fame. At the time it seemed like it was an automatic decision and that they thought a HOFer who had played the majority of his career with the team and also currently worked for them not having his number in the rafter was bad optics. It’s not like there was any sort of movement before that to get his number up there. He even joked about expecting to get booed at the actual ceremony.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad