Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Sanheim is playing like a #2.
Walker was playing like a #2-3.
York is playing like a #3-4.
Seeler is playing like a #4.
Risto is playing like a #4.
Zamula is playing like a #6.

That is why... as when they had a fully healthy D they had 5 guys at top 4 level.

He has been fine! But he was playing better last year (where probably played at legit #3 level not ~#3-4).

Only reason now people are talking him up like a future #1 is the Flyers might make the play-offs and he is #2 in TOI... but isolate him from the teams play and, well, I would say if anything he has regressed slightly from last year.
I hear you, and I don’t read your take as a disparagement of York. But at the same time, I just don’t wrap my head around how a defense with its two ice time leaders playing “worse” than their roles would get decent results. If Sanheim is playing like a #2, and York is playing like a #3/4, then the team should be much worse off than they are. Either they’ve been insanely lucky (doubtful), they’re being carried by the rest of the team (possible, I guess?), or they’re actually playing their roles reasonably well. I find the third the most plausible, imo, and it does match what I think I see when I watch.

Reactions: Appleyard

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
I hear you, and I don’t read your take as a disparagement of York. But at the same time, I just don’t wrap my head around how a defense with its two ice time leaders playing “worse” than their roles would get decent results. If Sanheim is playing like a #2, and York is playing like a #3/4, then the team should be much worse off than they are. Either they’ve been insanely lucky (doubtful), they’re being carried by the rest of the team (possible, I guess?), or they’re actually playing their roles reasonably well. I find the third the most plausible, imo, and it does match what I think I see when I watch.
I guess it depends what your specifically talking about with defensive output…

Defensive output is a team effort. Granted they don’t have a #1, it they have had the ability to ice 6 legit NHL defenseman and 12 legit NHL forwards. Half of those forwards rank in the top 90th percentile for defensive impacts. Cates, Hathaway, Foerster all rank in the 99th percentile for defensive impact…Couts 94th and Frost 91st.

Also, Torts defensive system is highly structured and designed to minimize any shot from the middle of the ice. Right now, they are implementing it perfectly.

Reactions: Curufinwe and Magua

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
This is disgusting and would absolutely be consistent with the whole let’s hire a coach before the GM/President and make keeping the coach a condition for the GM/President jobs, process.

He already has a lot of say on decisions made in regards to their roster here. I doubt his pay would change much either. So it would be less work & better job security than a head coach.

As much as the Flyers have overachieved this year they’re still on the bubble & they’ve been treading water for most of the second half of the season now. Just naturally life on the bubble has you closer to the bottom of the league than the top from year to year. So you’re always a few bad breaks away from landing in the bottom ten. So that could just naturally be a tough act to follow next year. So it could be getting out on a high note as well.

Reactions: Curufinwe

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
This is disgusting and would absolutely be consistent with the whole let’s hire a coach before the GM/President and make keeping the coach a condition for the GM/President jobs, process.
There's nowhere for him to go. Briere is no longer interim. He's the GM. They aren't binning him off for Torts.

Reactions: captainpaxil

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Tortorella wouldn’t need to be the GM to move to the front office & still have a lot of say in major decisions. He already has that as a head coach. So if he were to move up he still retains that regardless of title while taking an easier job.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada

brace4DarkestTimeline....

haha... ok seriously..

do you really believe that ?

if so you best buckle in...
There's nowhere for him to go. Briere is no longer interim. He's the GM. They aren't binning him off for Torts.

haha... ok seriously..

do you really believe that ?

if so you best buckle in...

wtf is going on.. is this site shittin the bed ?

slow AF...

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
It’s good. I will post later when I get on a tablet or computer.
Screenshot_2024-03-24-19-04-02-434.jpg

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
We need a legitimate chance at another top line/pair guy far more desperately than we need a 2nd pair defensemen.

I guess this fanbase either thinks Michkov can be the sole impact player when its time to "compete" or that this pathetic org is going to magically conjure one of those players out of thin air without a high pick.

Good luck with that. :laugh:

Reactions: BernieParent

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
We need a legitimate chance at another top line/pair guy far more desperately than we need a 2nd pair defensemen.

I guess this fanbase either thinks Michkov can be the sole impact player when its time to "compete" or that this pathetic org is going to magically conjure one of those players out of thin air without a high pick.

Good luck with that. :laugh:
neither will happen

it is the way...

Reactions: BiggE

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
He already has a lot of say on decisions made in regards to their roster here. I doubt his pay would change much either. So it would be less work & better job security than a head coach.

As much as the Flyers have overachieved this year they’re still on the bubble & they’ve been treading water for most of the second half of the season now. Just naturally life on the bubble has you closer to the bottom of the league than the top from year to year. So you’re always a few bad breaks away from landing in the bottom ten. So that could just naturally be a tough act to follow next year. So it could be getting out on a high note as well.
Seems obvious that Torts wants to work less and keep his $4m salary. And Hilferty would be happy to pay him to be the Flyers second mascot.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002

If Torts wants to move up, I highly doubt they are going to pay him $4M per year for two more years as ex-head coach acting as an advisor, AGM, or Director of Player Harassment.

I'm not sure, but I don't think Jones and Briere are making that much or more. I could see them renegotiating that the final $8M on Tort's contract to extend it to 4 years at $2M or something like that.

Coaches can make more than the highest paid GMs. Holland makes $5M/yr, Dubas something approaching $6M. Can't find much more online on actual salaries. Quenneville's last contract was $6Mper, Babcock agreed to $4M/yr at CBJ but never started. AV got $5M x 5, Torts got $4M x 4.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille