Boston Bruins 2023-24 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion IVX-post TDL

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Bergeron and Krecji were not top line centres anymore either though so who u kidding other then yourself
You are probably one of the many that wanted Bergey back this year and holding out hope that he would comeback for this years playoffs, probably still sitting at the window waiting. Krecji should never been brought back last year , but you I would bet all warm and fuzzy all over when he came back. Sweeney should have been looking for a center last year and been honest and tell Krecji we have no room, he did the smart thing this year and did not make a panic move for a top line center. Why don't you just enjoy what they have a accomplished this year as a team, and applaud Coyle and Zacha on how they stepped up this year. I guess you listen to too much talk radio to think for yourself.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
You are probably one of the many that wanted Bergey back this year and holding out hope that he would comeback for this years playoffs, probably still sitting at the window waiting. Krecji should never been brought back last year , but you I would bet all warm and fuzzy all over when he came back. Sweeney should have been looking for a center last year and been honest and tell Krecji we have no room, he did the smart thing this year and did not make a panic move for a top line center. Why don't you just enjoy what they have a accomplished this year as a team, and applaud Coyle and Zacha on how they stepped up this year. I guess you listen to too much talk radio to think for yourself.
33C421C8-4C35-4C4A-91F9-0D29F20B3F73.gif

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
You are probably one of the many that wanted Bergey back this year and holding out hope that he would comeback for this years playoffs, probably still sitting at the window waiting. Krecji should never been brought back last year , but you I would bet all warm and fuzzy all over when he came back. Sweeney should have been looking for a center last year and been honest and tell Krecji we have no room, he did the smart thing this year and did not make a panic move for a top line center. Why don't you just enjoy what they have an accomplished this year as a team, and applaud Coyle and Zacha on how they stepped up this year. I guess you listen to too much talk radio to think for yourself.
Sweeney should have been looking for a new top line center since 2020 or maybe even earlier. Trying to win a cup with two centers in their top 6 in their mid to late 30s is flat out dumb.

He at bare minimum needed to knock bergy/krejci down a line a few years back. Bergy was limping into the playoffs for 4 of his last 5 seasons with his back, elbow and two seasons of groin injuries. Yet Sweeney kept trotting them both out as top 6 centers even though the writing was on the wall.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Sweeney should have been looking for a new top line center since 2020 or maybe even earlier. Trying to win a cup with two centers in their top 6 in their mid to late 30s is flat out dumb.

He at bare minimum needed to knock bergy/krejci down a line a few years back. Bergy was limping into the playoffs for 4 of his last 5 seasons with his back, elbow and two seasons of groin injuries. Yet Sweeney kept trotting them both out as top 6 centers even though the writing was on the wall.
I am not going to disagree with you, sometimes you need to make tough and unpopular decisions, that is what you get paid to do.......You and I can sit here ,have a cup of coffee and think we have all the answers...........haha

Reactions: UncleRico

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
We know Ullmark doesn’t listen to the noise - he separates family and job and he’s happy and oblivious to Tom from Quincy and Mark from wherever

This is good

Swayman strikes me as like DeBrusk aware of what is being said

I’ve seen what this place has done to goalies

hopefully Swayman has a monster playoff or it could get bad if he gets paid and isn’t Vezina caliber every season

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

On July 22. 2022 the Hockey stork delivered to Don Sweeney a bouncing top 6 center the Bruins named Pavel Zacha :welcome:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Sweeney in the last 3 years has added a bunch of centers from Morgan Geekie and Jesper Boqvist who project more bottom 6

However he’s used trade (Zacha), college FA (mekulov), and draft as well (Poitras, Locmelis, and Pelosi) all project or are top two lines center

The two top centers in game 3 & 4 in Florida last year that resulted in 10-4 Bruins outscoring Panthers was Coyle & Zacha, with Bergy & Krejci out

Seems like Star-Lord Sweens exceeded the minimim in Bruins universe

Reactions: Spjutmuren

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
and there was this…….

Looks like Quick Draw McGraw Dollar Don was trying to add a young skilled center during the Bergeron-Krejci era via college FA
any young player needs development time, to little to late, and I might add I hope my first impression of Merkolov is wrong, but I just don't see him in the positive, hope I am wrong.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
any young player needs development time, to little to late, and I might add I hope my first impression of Merkolov is wrong, but I just don't see him in the positive, hope I am wrong.
I like him a lot - but I’m going by Providence

He got no shot here - way way worse then Marchand 20 games 0 goals 1 assist or Krejci 37 or whatever it was no goals

What were your first impressions of Marchand, Krejci and Joe Thornton

@Saxon Eric watches him more than me and I think concurs Monty didn’t do him any favors

Reactions: Gordoff

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I like him a lot - but I’m going by Providence

He got no shot here - way way worse then Marchand 20 games 0 goals 1 assist or Krejci 37 or whatever it was no goals

What were your first impressions of Marchand, Krejci and Joe Thornton

@Saxon Eric watches him more than me and I think concurs Monty didn’t do him any favors
You have have a good point, Marchand had similar results as Merkolov his first go round, but second chance he took it up a level, maybe Merk will have the same results , can only hope, he is also a center more responsibility, and his size can be a issue. Jumbo Joe was a #1 with size ,came to a shitty team and Pat Burns to his credit was very careful with him..........Hey maybe you will be spot on and I hope you right I just don't see it.....

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Great game even with the brain fart by Charlie M.
Late in games in the playoffs especially, the Bruins need to be able to put the nails in the coffin when leading.
Occasional mental lapses, blind passes etc. need to be eliminated.
I liked the counter-attack that the Bruins showed, hopefully this is another step in the ladder toward winning in the playoffs.
Getting past round one is a must in the teams development, winning two would be huge toward building on future success. It's also important for Jim Montgomery to prove that he can win in the NHL, as a Head Coach in the playoffs otherwise he's a stepping stone in the process.
The defense had a rough game but held it together long enough for the win.
I don't know if it was me but I think Monty juggled the defensemen a bit to maintain some consistency but it was flirting with creating a debacle.
The PP is on life support, it's become a huge double-edged sword that Monty & company still seem to have no answer for. Giving up short handed goals during the PP in the playoffs could hasten their demise.

Last edited:

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Great game even with the brain fart by Charlie M.
Late in games in the playoffs especially, the Bruins need to be able to put the nails in the coffin when leading.
Occasional mental lapses, blind passes etc. need to be eliminated.
I liked the counter-attack that the Bruins showed, hopefully this is another step in the ladder toward winning in the playoffs.
Getting past round one is a must in the teams development, winning two would be huge toward building on future success. It's also important for Jim Montgomery to prove that he can win in the NHL, as a Head Coach in the playoffs otherwise he's a stepping stone in the process.
The defense had a rough game but held it together long enough for the win.
I don't know if it was me but I think Monty juggled the defensemen a bit to maintain some consistency but it was flirting with creating a debacle.
The PP is on life support, it's become a huge double-edged sword that Monty & company still seem to have no answer for. Giving up short handed goals during the PP in the playoffs could hasten their demise.

I’d give Shattenkirk the keys to the Powerplay car for these last two games and go from there.

If they find a groove, keep him there game 1.

If not, you can always go to Cmac or even Lindholm.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I’d give Shattenkirk the keys to the Powerplay car for these last two games and go from there.

If Shattenkirk, on his offside, likely, is in your playoff top 6, at least. That’s too many commas.

Reactions: sarge88

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA

Absolutely agree. Shattenkirk is definitely in my playoff lineup.

Last 25 team games, On-Ice 5vs4 Goals For per 60 minutes:
  1. Shattenkirk = 15.78
  2. Lohrei = 14.23
  3. Geekie = 9.94
  4. DeBrusk = 7.30
  5. Zacha = 5.81
  6. Coyle = 5.11
  7. Pastrnak = 4.16
  8. Marchand = 3.23
  9. McAvoy = 3.03
  10. van Riemsdyk = 1.52

Oh, and since March 20th, the Bruins Net PP% = ZERO.ZERO. They're 2 for 30, while also allowing 2 shorthanded goals. League average = 18.4%. It's FAR beyond time for a shakeup.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle

This is a tough call for me. I think he is our best option on the point for our PP. Otherwise I don't consider him a top 6 option for our defense. So does downgrading Wotherspoon 5v5 all game get fully offset by having him on the PP. I think it probably does but if the Bruins agreed he'd have gotten more opportunity to prove it.

Reactions: sarge88

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Absolutely agree. Shattenkirk is definitely in my playoff lineup.

Last 25 team games, On-Ice 5vs4 Goals For per 60 minutes:
  1. Shattenkirk = 15.78
  2. Lohrei = 14.23
  3. Geekie = 9.94
  4. DeBrusk = 7.30
  5. Zacha = 5.81
  6. Coyle = 5.11
  7. Pastrnak = 4.16
  8. Marchand = 3.23
  9. McAvoy = 3.03
  10. van Riemsdyk = 1.52

Oh, and since March 20th, the Bruins Net PP% = ZERO.ZERO. They're 2 for 30, while also allowing 2 shorthanded goals. League average = 18.4%. It's FAR beyond time for a shakeup.

Shattenkirk has taken a back seat to Peeke and the power play has struggled for it. Unfortunate no one has been able to replace shattenkirks production.

SwayHeyKid

Living by faith, not by sight.
Mar 14, 2022
Shattenkirk has taken a back seat to Peeke and the power play has struggled for it. Unfortunate no one has been able to replace shattenkirks production.
They should play Shattenkirk on Peeke's left and go with Gryz or Wotherspoon with Carlo

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
They should play Shattenkirk on Peeke's left and go with Gryz or Wotherspoon with Carlo

I don't see how you can Ice a LHD rotation of Lindholm-Gryz-Shattenkirk, and expect to beat anyone in the postseason .

Even if you call Shatty the RHD on the 3rd pair, It is such a disadvantage to have either Gryz or Shatty on the ice for 35 minutes a night. It just puts too much pressure everywhere else in the lineup

Reactions: Gordoff

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I don't see how you can Ice a LHD rotation of Lindholm-Gryz-Shattenkirk, and expect to beat anyone in the postseason .

Even if you call Shatty the RHD on the 3rd pair, It is such a disadvantage to have either Gryz or Shatty on the ice for 35 minutes a night. It just puts too much pressure everywhere else in the lineup
And Wotherspoon solves that? It’s an imperfect left side. And Wotherspoon is getting overrated, especially when paired with Peeke

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
At least he isn't completely physically overmatched 100% of the time
I get it. That’s the party line. Wotherspoon also has been pretty bad lately at positioning and getting the puck out. The idea that he’s objectively a better play period is off base. Neither he nor Grizz is an ideal defenseman. But at least he’s not short I guess.

Both of them are in the lineup game 1. If it were me Lohrei would be in but that’s not happening.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad