Boston Bruins 2023-24 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion IVX-post TDL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
This Bruins team scares nobody. This is a transition year so just enjoy the ride and whatever happens, happens. I really have no expectations for a long playoff run. My only wish is to knock out the Leafs if that is the 1st round matchup and watch TSN/Sportsnet have a meltdown. Other than that everything else is a bonus for me.

If I were a wildcard team I am rooting for the Bruins to win the division.
I actually agree with this completely they've over achieved the entire season and now they are coming back down to earth/potentially the wheels are falling off. they were never supposed to win this much so time to just see what happens.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
I actually agree with this completely they've over achieved the entire season and now they are coming back down to earth/potentially the wheels are falling off. they were never supposed to win this much so time to just see what happens.
As a silver lining, this probably puts them right back into the role of an underdog. I believe they will have to play every playoff game with the mindset of a hungry underdog, or we will be going home after round 1 and it probably won't take 7 games like last year.

I like the lines coming together. I like that they are playing a little tougher. I like the depth in the bottom 6 developed throughout the season and Peeke seems to be a perfect fit at 3RD. I love that DeBrusk seems to be peaking at the right time.

It's time to pull this altogether. It's time to get back to the layered defense and the short passes in transition and really all over the ice. Less trying to stick handle through people, though I am willing to give a pass when it is a value opportunity to go directly to the net which this team has done well at times this season.

Reactions: bruins19

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

Are the wheels falling off? I know they have a 2 game losing streak, but they were 6-1-1 in the 8 games before that .

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
If there was no overtime and regular season games ended in a tie the Bruins would be 32 16 24 = 88 .

Monty was brought in with a reputation as players coach. He let the boys play last year and maybe gave them a little too much say when it came to the playoffs. Hopefully he learned his lesson.
The one thing that really bothers me under Montgomery is the defensive zone coverage. It just isn't as structured as it was the previous 10 - 12 years. Breakdowns have cost them late in games this year and last year in the playoffs.
Just my observation... coverage is more a free-for-all and not for the faint of heart. Our offense really isn't built for a run N gun high scoring game. However, with this personnel and the right defensive strategy they could be very difficult to score upon. But Montgomery would have to change his approach.

Reactions: zaYG and bbfan419

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Duchaine another three points last night but everyone here hates him lol
Since you like this guy so much you really should learn how to spell his freaking name - it's Matt Duchene.

I still cant believe what hertl went for. Donny should have been on that like a fly on a venus trap. Imagine zacha hertl pasta . Wowsers!
Imagine having his $6.75 million cap hit for the next 6 seasons. :thumbd:

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I still cant believe what hertl went for. Donny should have been on that like a fly on a venus trap. Imagine zacha hertl pasta . Wowsers!
They cannot even keep a $ 925,000 rookie center on the roster, how the hell are they going to fit Hertl in.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Since you like this guy so much you really should learn how to spell his freaking name - it's Matt Duchene.

Pretty Amazing recovery for guy who was so bad the first 2-3 years on the contract that he was arguably the worst contract in the NHL, and Nashville couldn't have traded him even if they included a #1

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Pretty Amazing recovery for guy who was so bad the first 2-3 years on the contract that he was arguably the worst contract in the NHL, and Nashville couldn't have traded him even if they included a #1

-First year was cut short due to Covid, but he was playing at a mid 50's point pace
-Second year he missed a lot of time due to injury
-Third year popped off for a 43G/43A season
-Fourth year put up 56pts on a NSH team that were sellers at the TDL

I don't think its that he was "bad" it was just that no one wanted to tie up $8 million worth of cap space for him.

Last edited:

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
Of the Defensemen in consideration to be scratched in the playoffs, here's an updated look at the overall team stats with each in the lineup this season:

Kevin Shattenkirk (56 Games Played)
  • 62.5 Win %
  • +0.80 Goal Differential per game

Matt Grzelcyk (55 GP)
  • 58.2 Win %
  • +0.69 Goal Differential per game

Parker Wotherspoon (34 GP)
  • 55.9 Win %
  • +0.47 Goal Differential per game

Mason Lohrei (40 GP)
  • 52.5 Win %
  • +0.38 Goal Differential per game

Andrew Peeke (5 GP)
  • 60.0 Win %
  • +0.40 Goal Differential per game

Reactions: UncleRico

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Of the Defensemen in consideration to be scratched in the playoffs, here's an updated look at the overall team stats with each in the lineup this season:

• 62.5 Win %

Matt Grzelcyk (55 GP)
  • 58.2 Win %

• 55.9 Win %

Mason Lohrei (40 GP)
  • 52.5 Win %

Andrew Peeke (5 GP)
  • 60.0 Win %

Regular season stats don't mean shit in the playoffs.

Babajingo

• 62.5 Win %

Matt Grzelcyk (55 GP)
  • 58.2 Win %

• 55.9 Win %

Mason Lohrei (40 GP)
  • 52.5 Win %

Andrew Peeke (5 GP)
  • 60.0 Win %
Gotta see some more of Peeke. All I know is if Gryz is top 4 at the start of game 1, they are done. Unless it's TOR.
If you keep 3? its PW, AP and ML. ML play has been suspsect at best but would be good to get the xp.

Reactions: duffy

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
Think people gonna be pretty mad next year when there's only really 4 different names in the lineup (and a few that we already know).

duffy

Feb 12, 2006
IIt
If there was no overtime and regular season games ended in a tie the Bruins would be 32 16 24 = 88 .

Monty was brought in with a reputation as players coach. He let the boys play last year and maybe gave them a little too much say when it came to the playoffs. Hopefully he learned his lesson.
The one thing that really bothers me under Montgomery is the defensive zone coverage. It just isn't as structured as it was the previous 10 - 12 years. Breakdowns have cost them late in games this year and last year in the playoffs.
Just my observation... coverage is more a free-for-all and not for the faint of heart. Our offense really isn't built for a run N gun high scoring game. However, with this personnel and the right defensive strategy they could be very difficult to score upon. But Montgomery would have to change his approach.
It's not hard to see when during Phillys PP, one of our D wandered out to the Blue line where JDB was already posted, leaving a Flyer all alone to score their first. I was taught in PeeWee that the D does not leave the net front on a kill. If I was a coach at any level and my defenceman did that , he would never see the ice again, EVER!

Duchaine another three points last night but everyone here hates him lol
I'm sure nobody here hates him but he has a lot more to work with in terms of offense where he is. If here, he would just be another over paid player shooting pucks at opponents goalies crest!

• Haha
Reactions: bruins4thecup65
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad