Prospect Info: 2023-24 prospect information - BUT WHERE ARE THEY GOING TO PLAY?!

Prospect polls starting on 2/3 - what to do with #1?

• Get the formality over with and give Nikishin #1

Votes: 11 73.3%
  • Start at the #1 prospect vote and give room for debate at the spot

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site

Made 13th without Jarvis, impressive
I think my biggest concerns about how we did our minor league development is summed up in Rees’s profile. This is a guy tailor made to play for Rod and he’s fallen off the planet this year. It’s similar for Suzuki but that guy can’t step off a bus without getting hurt. Rees should be right next to Pono, about to get his bottom six shot.

BadgerCane58

Jul 10, 2023
I think my biggest concerns about how we did our minor league development is summed up in Rees’s profile. This is a guy tailor made to play for Rod and he’s fallen off the planet this year. It’s similar for Suzuki but that guy can’t step off a bus without getting hurt. Rees should be right next to Pono, about to get his bottom six shot.
For that reason alone, both he and Suzuki should be extended. Give them a chance to further develop in the Canes system. The Canes owe them that.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
For that reason alone, both he and Suzuki should be extended. Give them a chance to further develop in the Canes system. The Canes owe them that.
If I was Suzuki, I might want to try moving on to somewhere else. Not because of anything Carolina did, but a fresh start because of all the injuries. It may not make a difference, but it has to be mentally tough to go through all of what he's been through since being injured and a fresh outlook might do him good.

Of course, I don't know what his mental state is, just speculation here.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
That is likely his issue. He is a lefty and not putting up a ton of points. He is just solid. That isn’t a bad thing but people take less notice of solid.

He could be a different version of the Forsling situation.
Simon Forsmark is averaging just under 19 minutes of ice time with Timra as a 20-year-old and is the second-leading scorer amongst the team's defensemen.

Is that enough to earn him an ELC with the Canes?

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I'm pretty sure the Canes will get their AHL affiliate next season, and will likely own their team this time. By all accounts, Chicago has been far more hurt as an organization than the Canes have with their behavior and practices now known league-wide and with their record and roster suffering. Chicago really did flush what was one of the better non-rebuilding AHL situations in the league into the toilet just because their lust for control was that great.

As for our farm system, both Jarvis and Drury successfully became NHL players and our ranking only dropped by one spot. That implies that a bunch of players are well out-performing draft stock. For a team who has drafted late for 5 straight drafts, you can't get much better than the high-teens.

Last edited:

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC

Craig Button has Nikishin at #2 of all NHL affiliated prospects. There's (2) more Canes prospects in his top 50.
More amazing to me: Button has 3 Canes in the top 50 and did not rank this board's #2, #3, or #4 prospect.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
More amazing to me: Button has 3 Canes in the top 50 and did not rank this board's #2, #3, or #4 prospect.

Koivunen is an interesting one. Last year he didn't take the step we were hoping and it seems we all kinda stopped liking him.

Well, this year, he's taken that step. And now we're not paying attention because we've got a bunch of other shiny toys.

Button seems to always be out there, so who knows, but the one thing you can say about him is he seem more insulated from groupthink than others when it comes to this stuff. A true differing opinion. Fun to see him think so highly of Nikishin.

Luigi#17

May 25, 2006
Pardubice
Koivunen is an interesting one. Last year he didn't take the step we were hoping and it seems we all kinda stopped liking him.

Well, this year, he's taken that step. And now we're not paying attention because we've got a bunch of other shiny toys.

Button seems to always be out there, so who knows, but the one thing you can say about him is he seem more insulated from groupthink than others when it comes to this stuff. A true differing opinion. Fun to see him think so highly of Nikishin.
Well, 48 pts. in 52 games in a PRO league, 8th on Liiga scoring board, what more should he do as a 20yo? He definitely isn't a pure sniper as I read somewhere. Good shot and nice hands, no doubt, but pass first mentality. His hockey brain comes here to his advantage.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
It makes sense, Button sees the big picture and doesn’t reach as much as we do. Nadeau is a small freshman and years away, which matters to Button. Morrow isn’t even the best defenseman on his own team. Koivunen is putting up points as a pro after being a featured WJC player and Blake is an older Hobey Baker candidate which carries some weight. Button has a strong bias to guys who are closer to actually making it whereas the board loves “ceilings”.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Or maybe Button is just another opinion in the sea of opinions on prospects. Some guys like players better than others. Some guys get prospect fatigue because they are given very high comps early. so you become hyper critical of that player.

Wheeler and others have Morrow and Nadeau are highly rated elsewhere. Ceilings matter.

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
Does Kahn own horses? :sarcasm:
1708983076524.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad