Laval Rocket: 2023-24 Laval Rocket Thread

Jul 6, 2016
not very good, way overmatched physically, lacks lower body strength, speed, skating, overall strength, mass.
Same guy we saw in the Q. He is ECHL material at best. They could had kept Mysak.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Same guy we saw in the Q. He is ECHL material at best.

he's got AHL level skill but like Mysak it's a big jump to the AHL but it's that much tougher when you lack strength, size, skating, and speed. That's a lot to overcome but he's got the IQ, vision, playmaking that you want to see. The problem is next year you have Mesar who brings similar tools but doesn't have the speed/skating issues at least.

Jul 6, 2016
he's got AHL level skill but like Mysak it's a big jump to the AHL but it's that much tougher when you lack strength, size, skating, and speed. That's a lot to overcome but he's got the IQ, vision, playmaking that you want to see. The problem is next year you have Mesar who brings similar tools but doesn't have the speed/skating issues at least.
Just a bad second round pick.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

we'll see, since 2008 it's been a flat out disaster for the Habs so clearly they failed at drafting, development, hiring coaches, handling out contracts and thus this is why we have ended up where we are.

With prospects people shouldn't be so quick to write them off just as they shouldn't get carried away when things are looking good as we all heard after the end of last season how RHP was going to be a top 6 guy and a year later some are wondering he will even be on the team (not me cause I don't see them going anywhere next year so why not carry guys like RHP)

It's often such a long process but when you look at these kids that need to badly physically mature, just as the opposite when you have these hulking 6'6 skaters at 18, 19, 20, it takes time for them to find their way, mature physically work on things, etc.. That said the stats show that most picks outside the 1st round fail so you are always going to have your share of bad picks.

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
I hope HuGo are exploring the possibility of loaning a couple of guys to the unaffiliated AHL squad to open some spots in Laval. I am worried they will not leave themselves some spots for veterans as a young team is a recipe for disaster. They especially need a couple of solid stay at home defensemen to play with Huston and Mailloux. They need veteran forwards as well.. A guy like Kidney if loaned may see better ice time elsewhere.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

I mean, people always harp about how we never pick talent over athletic guys and then we pick talent and people harp about not picking people with better athletic.

Kidney might never make it, but picking a guy with his level of talent (and not small) at the tail end of the 2nd round is never a bad thing. It's not like any of the guys picked soon after have been impressive.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Do you remember if they specified it was internal habs scouts or scouts around the league?
He didn't state for sure it was an external scout, but from what I've learned recently is Basu will state if it was a Habs scout, so I'm assuming the scouts he talked to where external.

Addik04

Sep 15, 2010
For the folks who went in Laval to see the Rocket live, how was Reinbacher? I saw him on tv a few times, but its not always the samething when you see them in real

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Mobile and big.

Moves really well for his size.
Does he? I agree that big guys may often be skating faster than it appears compared to little guys, but Reinbacher is a similar size to Mailloux who looks much faster.

I would say he has average NHL speed for a d-man. Which is ok for a kid who just put on a lot of weight, and who might gain lower body strength soon.

Nonetheless, RB's skating does not stand out like Matheson's or Guhle's, and probably never will. His defensive peformances will be about gap control and decision-making, which are superior for a 19 year old, and his offensive contributions will come from the ability to find the right breakout option and the right time to jump forward and use his above average hands and shot.

David played his first games in LAVAL, at 19 years 5 months, Logan was 20 years 6 months and Justin Barron was 20 years 11 months (did not see him with Colorado Eagles). David looks much more well-rounded and aware out of the gate than they did (though they have since improved significantly). Is the experience that David had playing 125 games against men for 2.5 years merely a head start that will fade, or is he really that much better a prospect? Time will tell, but he has a decent shot at being a top pairing guy IMO.

Last edited:

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Does he? I agree that big guys may often be skating faster than it appears compared to little guys, but Reinbacher is a similar size to Mailloux who looks much faster.

I would say he has average NHL speed for a d-man. Which is ok for a kid who just put on a lot of weight, and who might gain lower body strength soon.

Nonetheless, RB's skating does not stand out like MathesonM's or Guhle's, and probably never will. His defensive peformances will be about gap control and decision-making, which are superior for a 19 year old, and his offensive contributions will come from the ability to find the right breakout option and the right time to jump forward and use his above average hands and shot.

David played his first games in LAVAL, at 19 years 5 months, Logan was 20 years 6 months and Justin Barron was 20 yuears 11 months (did ot see him with Colorado Eagles). David looks much more well-rounded and aware out of the gate than they did (though they have since improved significantly). Is the experience that David had playing 125 games against men for 2.5 years merely a head start that will fade, or is he rerally that much better a prospect? Time will tell.
I watched both live and Reinbacher moves way better than Mailloux. Way more fluid, less choppy.

He's also faster.

Reactions: ryan callahan

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I watched both live and Reinbacher moves way better than Mailloux. Way more fluid, less choppy.

He's also faster.
More fluid, but not faster at all. David gets beat to the puck on dump-ins way more than Logan. David is smarter once he gets the puck, though.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Syracuse refused to help Laval and lost to Belleville in regulation.

Syracuse spot is clinched.
Cleveland and Rochester should clinch in the next couple games.
Toronto with their 3 games in hands are now almost unreachable as well.

The last spot is still a 3-way battle between Laval, Belleville and Utica.

Laval remaining games are against Cleveland and Belleville, twice each.

Belleville has 2 games in hand and are tied with Laval, but Laval has the tiebreaker and will keep it in pretty much any scenario that involves them tying, so Belleville needs to pass them. They have games against Toronto, 2xRochester, Syracuse and 2xLaval.

Utica is 3 points behind but also have 2 games in hand. Like Belleville, they do not own the tiebreaker.
They have games against Toronto, 2x Providence, 2xSyracuse and Rochester. Providence is the top team played by any of the 3 teams, so Utica has the hardest path.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Lots of young prospects played in Laval this season, and many held their own pretty well. There have also been a few disappointments, but the adjustment to the AHL is a pretty difficult one, and I'm pretty optimistic that some of the talent down there will graduate to the NHL in the next few seasons. Which is pretty exciting.

Hopefully we see some noticeable and continued improvements with some of the prospects next season, after a full off-season of training. It will be fun to watch the prospects progress moving forward, including the new recruits entering for the first time next season.

Gally11

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto

Nonetheless, RB's skating does not stand out like Matheson's or Guhle's, and probably never will. His defensive peformances will be about gap control and decision-making, which are superior for a 19 year old, and his offensive contributions will come from the ability to find the right breakout option and the right time to jump forward and use his above average hands and shot.

David played his first games in LAVAL, at 19 years 5 months, Logan was 20 years 6 months and Justin Barron was 20 years 11 months (did not see him with Colorado Eagles). David looks much more well-rounded and aware out of the gate than they did (though they have since improved significantly). Is the experience that David had playing 125 games against men for 2.5 years merely a head start that will fade, or is he really that much better a prospect? Time will tell, but he has a decent shot at being a top pairing guy IMO.

He executed faster and is smarter which makes him look faster but I would say straight line speed goes to Mailloux currently

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Utica beat Toronto 5-1. The ahl is such a mess. Laval could finish last or 4th depending on the other teams

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
Flo joining the Rockets in Cleveland, i bet he plays thursday and i'm sure gonna watch, he may well be the spark plug the Rockets been missing since Simoneau injury

Reactions: EveryDay

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Flo joining the Rockets in Cleveland, i bet he plays thursday and i'm sure gonna watch, he may well be the spark plug the Rockets been missing since Simoneau injury

A bit apprehensive about the Belleville games though, Sens don't like his brother and those last two games of the season will be a battlefield.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad