Speculation: 2023-24 Free Agency/Trade Thread II

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Friedman mentioned on his podcast that if the Coyotes move to Salt Lake, then they will be big spenders in free agency. They have a ton of space and have 0 NHL defensemen signed beyond this season. They will no doubt be a team that we have to compete with for some of the better RHD. They will probably overpay to get a couple of guys they want.

Reactions: Kalv

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Friedman mentioned on his podcast that if the Coyotes move to Salt Lake, then they will be big spenders in free agency. They have a ton of space and have 0 NHL defensemen signed beyond this season. They will no doubt be a team that we have to compete with for some of the better RHD. They will probably overpay to get a couple of guys they want.
Maybe... players may be hesitant to go to SLC/Arizona, until they show a little stability.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
Maybe... players may be hesitant to go to SLC/Arizona, until they show a little stability.
This. Players aren’t dumb, they see the talent we have and the fact we’re about to come out of a rebuild. The kind of player who simply chooses “ Salt Lake City “ team to save more money but to be on a bad team more time, is a player I don’t want anyways

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
This. Players aren’t dumb, they see the talent we have and the fact we’re about to come out of a rebuild. The kind of player who simply chooses “ Salt Lake City “ team to save more money but to be on a bad team more time, is a player I don’t want anyways
Oddly, the Ducks have been looking up at Arizona/SLC in the standings for the past two years. Hard to make the case that SLC wouldn't be a good player destination given that they are an obviously up and coming team just like the Ducks are. Factor in taxes and cost of living and I don't think Anaheim is a slam dunk over SLC.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Oddly, the Ducks have been looking up at Arizona/SLC in the standings for the past two years. Hard to make the case that SLC wouldn't be a good player destination given that they are an obviously up and coming team just like the Ducks are. Factor in taxes and cost of living and I don't think Anaheim is a slam dunk over SLC.
But then you have the weather.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
One under-the-radar UFA target that could be of interest to us is Teddy Blueger as our 4C (can fill in at 3C, too). He is good at faceoffs, plays a ton of PK, and shouldn't be too expensive. I like Lundestrom and I don't mind keeping him another year, but he is terrible at draws and I don't trust him being out there for d-zone starts against good opponents.

As we've seen recently, we are terrible at faceoffs. Carlsson, Zegras, and Lundestrom are all pretty poor at them (Lundestrom, in particular, needs to get better at this if he wants to be a useful NHL player on a good team). McTavish has a good percentage, however, I have noticed he gets kicked out of draws quite a bit, which might inflate his percentage. Henrique could be another UFA target that could help with faceoffs.
Kevin Stenlund is definitely another 4C option. He won’t provide as much offense as Blueger, but he’s bigger and is right handed, which would be useful. He’s also another pretty good faceoff guy. He also wouldn’t cost nearly as much as Blueger.

Reactions: Kalv

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
No. Verbeek didn't need to blow up the team, he chose to do it. But I digress and you're deflecting from the actual argument. Here's you're OP that I responded to:

Why do we need to overpay someone this off-season?

That point of my post was identifying how many unknowns and unestablished youths we have on the team today and the near future. Last year was a development year with non-pros and McTavish was the only rookie. This year, the development was at the NHL and AHL levels with our prospects. Next year is another development season with two rookies on the blueline in Luneau and, probably, Zellweger. We're going to have another huge influx of prospects in the AHL as well next year.

We wait a year to see which youths stick, step, stagnate, or regress at the NHL and AHL levels. The front office should have a much better feel in year two of the mass development at the NHL and AHL levels, which is Year 3 of the Verbeekining. Also, we could have youths and prospects improve their games to where we can use one or more as trade bait for a more established player in our top-6F or top-4D.

• 2022-23, Verbeeking Year 1
    • NHL Level
      • Rookies, Full-Time (1): C McTavish
      • Rookies, Partial-Time(2): G Dostal, LW Regenda
    • AHL Level:
      • Rookies: LW Regenda

• 2023-24, Verbeeking Year 2
    • NHL Level
      • Year 2 (1): C McTavish
      • Rookies, Full-time (5): G Dostal, C Carlsson, LD Minty, LD LaCombe, C Groulx
      • Rookies, Partial-time (2): RD Luneau, LD Zellweger
    • AHL Level:
      • Rookies (9): LW Nesterenko, LD Zellweger, LD Hinds, C Gaucher, LW Pastujov, RW Weibe, RW Caulfield, G Clang, C King (no ELC)

• 2023-24, Verbeeking Year 3
    • NHL Level
      • Year 3 (1): C McTavish
      • Year 2 (4): G Dostal, C Carlsson, LD Minty, LD LaCombe
      • Rookies, Full-time (4): RD Luneau, LD Zellweger, LW Cutter, 2024 top-5 pick
      • Rookies, Partial-time (n/a): ?
    • AHL Level:
      • Rookies (6): RD Warren, LW Sidorov (?), LD Dionicio (?), LW Myatovic (?), RW Colangelo (?), C/LW Hvidston (?)

NHL potential top-9, Vebeekening Year 3
Cutter-Carlsson-Terry​
Z-McTavish-Killorn​
Vatrano-xxx-Strome​

NHL potential Blueline, Verbeekening Year 3
Fowler-Luneau​
Minty-Gudas​
LaCombe-Zell​
Vaak​
Interesting post.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Really like josh Dakota's game. Top 10 in hits, 18 goals, heavy game. Probably going to get overpaid in FA, though. He's what we hoped max would be.

His name is Dakota Joshua. I started the post calling him Dakota Johnson, so I was closer.
Legit candidate for the most improved player in the league over the last 2-3 years.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Really like josh Dakota's game. Top 10 in hits, 18 goals, heavy game. Probably going to get overpaid in FA, though. He's what we hoped max would be.

His name is Dakota Joshua. I started the post calling him Dakota Johnson, so I was closer.

Nick Paul was around the same age and trajectory/player type when he signed a 7 year deal at $3.15M a couple years ago. I think that may be a decent contract comparable.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Exactly the type of dude we need.
-All 32 teams

Seriously though, obviously he would be a great add but he would require overpayment and I dont think it is worth overpaying for a bottom 6 player when we may have to overpay for top of the lineup guys.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
-All 32 teams

Seriously though, obviously he would be a great add but he would require overpayment and I dont think it is worth overpaying for a bottom 6 player when we may have to overpay for top of the lineup guys.
Of those 32 teams 20 can’t afford that type of roster player for a bottom 6 roll. Of the other 12 half of them are rebuilding and won’t pay that kind of money for said roll player.

Last edited:

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Or those 32 teams 20 can’t afford that type of roster player for a bottom 6 roll. Of the other 12 half of them are rebuilding and won’t pay that kind of money for said roll player.
What kinda money are you planning to throw at him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad