Speculation: 2023-24 Free Agency/Trade Thread II

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
Verbeek did what he needed to do. Either he moved out his UFAs to be at the 2022 TDL or he would have had to extend them. Given the state of the team, it should have been an easy decision to make to send Lindholm, Manson, Rackell out, just like sending Henrique out. No one wanted Silf so he ends up playing out his contract. Only Fowler and Gibson remain from their 2015 & 2017 WCF runs.

Anaheim will have had 4 extra first and 4 extra 2nds between the 2019 to 2024 draft in addition to their own 12 picks in rounds 1 and 2 for 20 picks in top 60 in this 6 year non PO span.

There's 6 skaters that are for sure to be in their lineup (barring a trade out) for 24/25 that were drafted from 2019 onwards in Zegras, McTavish, Carlsson, Zellweger, Mintyukov, and LaCombe.
Dostal from 2018 in net.

Luneau probably best to be in the A in 24/25 as he's only played 13 games total this season plus lost games/practice as a teen during Covid.

I didn't mean that they needed to make moves to make the PO in 2025 as they would need to make up 35 points to catch how far LA is ahead of them. But, to even get to Seattle who is 10th worst, is 20 points. They do need to add something to not be this bad (60 point pace) again next season. One thing to be tanking bad when you don't have any of your future on the roster, but they will have 7 guys that they are hoping will be key pieces moving forward in those 6 Skaters and 1 G. Need to add a couple of players to help in their development.
What they really need is a special teams that wins games, and a system that players are playing to a T... Agressive and hitting all the time... Once they start playing like that.. This team will start winning

Reactions: SmokeyDuck

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Verbeek did what he needed to do. Either he moved out his UFAs to be at the 2022 TDL or he would have had to extend them. Given the state of the team, it should have been an easy decision to make to send Lindholm, Manson, Rackell out, just like sending Henrique out. No one wanted Silf so he ends up playing out his contract. Only Fowler and Gibson remain from their 2015 & 2017 WCF runs.

Anaheim will have had 4 extra first and 4 extra 2nds between the 2019 to 2024 draft in addition to their own 12 picks in rounds 1 and 2 for 20 picks in top 60 in this 6 year non PO span.

There's 6 skaters that are for sure to be in their lineup (barring a trade out) for 24/25 that were drafted from 2019 onwards in Zegras, McTavish, Carlsson, Zellweger, Mintyukov, and LaCombe.
Dostal from 2018 in net.

Luneau probably best to be in the A in 24/25 as he's only played 13 games total this season plus lost games/practice as a teen during Covid.

I didn't mean that they needed to make moves to make the PO in 2025 as they would need to make up 35 points to catch how far LA is ahead of them. But, to even get to Seattle who is 10th worst, is 20 points. They do need to add something to not be this bad (60 point pace) again next season. One thing to be tanking bad when you don't have any of your future on the roster, but they will have 7 guys that they are hoping will be key pieces moving forward in those 6 Skaters and 1 G. Need to add a couple of players to help in their development.

No. Verbeek didn't need to blow up the team, he chose to do it. But I digress and you're deflecting from the actual argument. Here's you're OP that I responded to:

Verbeek and ownership need to step up in the off-season to acquire those veterans. They are in SoCal, so they have an advantage over other rebuilding clubs to acquire those players because of their location. Higher taxes, but most of the other warm weather cities are good teams in FLA, TB, Nas, LV, Dal, Car.

Going to have to overpay 1 or 2 guys to convince them to come. May need to make a trade to acquire someone.

Why do we need to overpay someone this off-season?

That point of my post was identifying how many unknowns and unestablished youths we have on the team today and the near future. Last year was a development year with non-pros and McTavish was the only rookie. This year, the development was at the NHL and AHL levels with our prospects. Next year is another development season with two rookies on the blueline in Luneau and, probably, Zellweger. We're going to have another huge influx of prospects in the AHL as well next year.

We wait a year to see which youths stick, step, stagnate, or regress at the NHL and AHL levels. The front office should have a much better feel in year two of the mass development at the NHL and AHL levels, which is Year 3 of the Verbeekining. Also, we could have youths and prospects improve their games to where we can use one or more as trade bait for a more established player in our top-6F or top-4D.

• 2022-23, Verbeeking Year 1
    • NHL Level
      • Rookies, Full-Time (1): C McTavish
      • Rookies, Partial-Time(2): G Dostal, LW Regenda
    • AHL Level:
      • Rookies: LW Regenda

• 2023-24, Verbeeking Year 2
    • NHL Level
      • Year 2 (1): C McTavish
      • Rookies, Full-time (5): G Dostal, C Carlsson, LD Minty, LD LaCombe, C Groulx
      • Rookies, Partial-time (2): RD Luneau, LD Zellweger
    • AHL Level:
      • Rookies (9): LW Nesterenko, LD Zellweger, LD Hinds, C Gaucher, LW Pastujov, RW Weibe, RW Caulfield, G Clang, C King (no ELC)

• 2023-24, Verbeeking Year 3
    • NHL Level
      • Year 3 (1): C McTavish
      • Year 2 (4): G Dostal, C Carlsson, LD Minty, LD LaCombe
      • Rookies, Full-time (4): RD Luneau, LD Zellweger, LW Cutter, 2024 top-5 pick
      • Rookies, Partial-time (n/a): ?
    • AHL Level:
      • Rookies (6): RD Warren, LW Sidorov (?), LD Dionicio (?), LW Myatovic (?), RW Colangelo (?), C/LW Hvidston (?)

NHL potential top-9, Vebeekening Year 3
Cutter-Carlsson-Terry​
Z-McTavish-Killorn​
Vatrano-xxx-Strome​

NHL potential Blueline, Verbeekening Year 3
Fowler-Luneau​
Minty-Gudas​
LaCombe-Zell​
Vaak​

Reactions: Nevins

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
One under-the-radar UFA target that could be of interest to us is Teddy Blueger as our 4C (can fill in at 3C, too). He is good at faceoffs, plays a ton of PK, and shouldn't be too expensive. I like Lundestrom and I don't mind keeping him another year, but he is terrible at draws and I don't trust him being out there for d-zone starts against good opponents.

As we've seen recently, we are terrible at faceoffs. Carlsson, Zegras, and Lundestrom are all pretty poor at them (Lundestrom, in particular, needs to get better at this if he wants to be a useful NHL player on a good team). McTavish has a good percentage, however, I have noticed he gets kicked out of draws quite a bit, which might inflate his percentage. Henrique could be another UFA target that could help with faceoffs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nevins

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
One under-the-radar UFA target that could be of interest to us is Teddy Blueger as our 4C (can fill in at 3C, too). He is good at faceoffs, plays a ton of PK, and shouldn't be too expensive. I like Lundestrom and I don't mind keeping him another year, but he is terrible at draws and I don't trust him being out there for d-zone starts against good opponents.

As we've seen recently, we are terrible at faceoffs. Carlsson, Zegras, and Lundestrom are all pretty poor at them (Lundestrom, in particular, needs to get better at this if he wants to be a useful NHL player on a good team). McTavish has a good percentage, however, I have noticed he gets kicked out of draws quite a bit, which might inflate his percentage. Henrique could be another UFA target that could help with faceoffs.
Vancouvers PK isn't that great. I'd prefer trying to trade for Hathaway from Philly. Then if you are able to sign Reinhart you have just added 2 solid minute pkers from 2 top 6 PKs this year.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Blueger would be nice, but outside of his FO stats, he might be a byproduct of playoff or near playoff teams. Also, Blueger didn't get over 50% FO wins until age 27. Lundy could trend that way. I wouldn't mind Blueger for a year or two in our bottom-6 in conjunction of keeping Lundy. We need better PK'ers and Lundy's one of our better PK forwards since we lost Rico and will be losing Silf.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Vancouvers PK isn't that great. I'd prefer trying to trade for Hathaway from Philly. Then if you are able to sign Reinhart you have just added 2 solid minute pkers from 2 top 6 PKs this year.
I just don’t see what reason Philly would have to trade him. They would probably want something silly like Edmonton’s 1st or our 2nd, neither of which I would do. The faceoff reasoning was also just as important as the PK reasoning.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I just don’t see what reason Philly would have to trade him. They would probably want something silly like Edmonton’s 1st or our 2nd, neither of which I would do. The faceoff reasoning was also just as important as the PK reasoning.
You could be right, but id rather overpay a little for the right player then settle for a lesser. I wouldn't pay a first but we have tons of picks.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
I love Hathaway feel like he’s been around forever though, hope he isn’t to old now

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Well, at least @Kalv would be happy.
I'd be super happy. He's barely over 6'0 tho so I doubt it happens :laugh: but he can kill penalties, win FOs and score with right linemates. A 4th line level Kesler (he also can get under opponents skin running his mouth, but he'd not physical)

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
So, have we decided that the Henrique wanting to come back thing isn’t a thing?

I don’t see him in anyone’s wish listing.

I would just hate seeing Verbeek trading Rico again at next year's TDL, tbh. The way Rico broke down in the interview about his family after being traded was heart wrenching.

Reactions: Yemeth

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
No ty. Time to move on. We want younger bigger meaner witu scoring touch. Ie right handed top 6 winger and maybe a duhamel bottom 6 type too
Henrique is 2nd on the team in points/60 at 1.84, behind only McTavish. For the last 3 years combined, Terry and Zegras are tied at 2.07, Henrique is 3rd at 1.94. Over that span, he’s a -7, best for all forwards, and in 180 games, which is 5th for forwards.

You can do much, much worse for your bottom 6.

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro
One interesting avenue that might be opening up right now is looking at all of the soon-not-to-be Coyotes' UFAs. If the move to SLC happens, a bunch of guys are going to want out, just like they've wanted out of every relocating team up until now. We might be in a prime position to snatch someone out of that roster.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
One interesting avenue that might be opening up right now is looking at all of the soon-not-to-be Coyotes' UFAs. If the move to SLC happens, a bunch of guys are going to want out, just like they've wanted out of every relocating team up until now. We might be in a prime position to snatch someone out of that roster.
Crouse would be an excellent addition, big power forward who would look good on any of our top lines, the exact kind of forward we'd be missing.

I'd imagine the price would be pretty decent though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad