Prospect Info: 2023-24 Flyers Prospects - FINAL RANKINGS

Do you like the Flyers' prospect pool?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
I believe in Cutter, Foerster and Brink.

After that? Clowns
its so hard to find clips on brink and I didnt see alot of his phantoms games last year but people seem divided on him. I honestly dont know what to expect from him

i didnt realize his 12 goals last year were scored on just 49 shots, its crazy unsustainable but thats impressive anyways, i forgot there were comparisons to caufield when he was drafted

Last edited:

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
Mann will never play in an NHL game. It's possible he never even plays a pro game anywhere. We passed on better potential players on his own team so Flahr could take a big guy. They'd have been better off trading the pick for almost anything else.

Did the Child drug you? You're talking about a guy named Mann with two "N"s
and the Philadelphia Flyers. He will carve out a short enforcer career before moving on to strength and conditioning coach. 2023 is the new 1993

Alex K

Apr 20, 2016
Earth
I've seen better.
giphy.webp

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Some of these later round defenseman might take longer to develop but there could be a few guys like Ethan Samson, Carter, Mateo Mann who could develop into NHLers from what Ive seen, Sotheran has the tools even if hes kinda slow. Flyers need to get better at giving these guys a look, Attard and Ginning are still waiting for their chance. They said they wanna do the same for the defense this year that they did with the forwards last year and get them some time to evaluate them but then they signed Staal so maybe they carry 7 defense every night idk what to think now but I love to speculate
dont see it has to me not much there. Size sure. Those late rd picks I would draft a diff type of player and skillset.

Agree, they along with Zamula may not be nhl level dman. Why they refuse to find out is mind boggling for a "rebuilding" team. They are a23/24 years old.

Reactions: BernieParent

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
dont see it has to me not much there. Size sure. Those late rd picks I would draft a diff type of player and skillset.

Agree, they along with Zamula may not be nhl level dman. Why they refuse to find out is mind boggling for a "rebuilding" team. They are a23/24 years old.
Ya, they didnt really open any doors for prospects this year, but everything theyve been saying has been talking rebuild so its mixed messages. Torts and Danny have both said they want to start giving the defense more looks the same way they did the forwards last year but nobody really got a look last year, they just got a taste. so they must be planning on carrying 7 defense and rotating them around every game. Im gonna give danny the benefit of the doubt until the deadline and see where we're at, maybe he pulls off a big trade and opens some spots up on defense. they say theyre not tanking but the assistant gm was talking about how important the first 3 picks in a draft are the other day lol nobody knows whats going on and I kinda see why some people on this board are so fed up with the management

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Ya, they didnt really open any doors for prospects this year, but everything theyve been saying has been talking rebuild so its mixed messages. Torts and Danny have both said they want to start giving the defense more looks the same way they did the forwards last year but nobody really got a look last year, they just got a taste. so they must be planning on carrying 7 defense and rotating them around every game. Im gonna give danny the benefit of the doubt until the deadline and see where we're at, maybe he pulls off a big trade and opens some spots up on defense. they say theyre not tanking but the assistant gm was talking about how important the first 3 picks in a draft are the other day lol nobody knows whats going on and I kinda see why some people on this board are so fed up with the management
that assistant GM also said they are not looking to bottom out. Clearly the moves so far show he is correct.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Rebulding and tanking are not synonymous.
You can rebuild by patiently accumulating assets without trading every player of value for draft picks, most of whom won't arrive for 3-5 years, if ever.
So far, Briere has done nothing to suggest he's "reloading", not rebuilding.

Dumped Hayes (31), TDA (28), Provorov (26).
Let JVR (34), Lemieux (27), Bellows (25), Braun (36) walk
Signed Poehling (24), Hathaway (31), Staal (34) to short-term deals. Picked up Walker (29) in the Provorov trade.
Poehling is a try out deal, Hathaway is destined to be traded for assets and Staal is a short-term placeholder and potential assistant coach.

Not the drastic tear down that some have clamoured for, but no FAs on long-term deals, either.

The only older players in the top 9/6 this year are Couts, Atkinson and probably Walker. Atkinson on a 2 year contract, Walker on a 1 year deal.
Deslauriers, Hathaway, Seeler, Staal are 4th line/3rd pair guys.
Briere inherited the contracts of Couts, Sanheim and Risto, that ties his hands to some extent.

We'll see what they do going forward.
They do have (2) 1sts, (2) 2nds, (2) 6ths in the 2024 draft. An extra 5th in the 2025 draft.
We'll see if they add more draft picks by next summer.

\ \

Reactions: Don Nachbaur 26

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
You can rebuild by patiently accumulating assets without trading every player of value for draft picks, most of whom won't arrive for 3-5 years, if ever.

Signed Poehling (24), Hathaway (31), Staal (34) to short-term deals. Picked up Walker (29) in the Provorov trade.
Poehling is a try out deal, Hathaway is destined to be traded for assets and Staal is a short-term placeholder and potential assistant coach.

Not the drastic tear down that some have clamoured for, but no FAs on long-term deals, either.

The only older players in the top 9/6 this year are Couts, Atkinson and probably Walker. Atkinson on a 2 year contract, Walker on a 1 year deal.
Briere inherited the contracts of Couts, Sanheim and Risto, that ties his hands to some extent.

They do have (2) 1sts, (2) 2nds, (2) 6ths in the 2024 draft. An extra 5th in the 2025 draft.

\ \
Ya im not particularly worried, Im ok with this year being an assessment year, theyll have a better idea of everyones roles this year and the players that keep improving can be identified as keepers, players that dont improve can move on

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022

\ \
Like Nic D will be waived traded in 2 years as well?

They didnt sign any big names because they had zero money to. Plus I bet not many want to come to this shit show right now.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Like Nic D will be waived traded in 2 years as well?

They didnt sign any big names because they had zero money to. Plus I bet not many want to come to this shit show right now.

The bolded, yes. Per a poll of players, Tortorella is the coach players least want to play for.

Additionally, the Flyers themselves definitely likely consider Staal and Hathaway to be "big names" and they think they probably robbed the league getting them. Just based on their entire approach to everything. Like how they were giddy about Deslauriers and overhyped him as some rare gem.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ironmanrulez

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Briere was explicit that he had no interest in signing FAs the next few years.
I think this season is about evaluation of both players, scouts and development staff.
With Gauthier not arriving until 2024-25, and Michkov 2026-27, the next couple years are about deciding who'll be on the team when they are here.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I think this season is about evaluation of both players, scouts and development staff.
With Gauthier not arriving until 2024-25, and Michkov 2026-27, the next couple years are about deciding who'll be on the team when they are here.

He explicitly signed several pointless FAs to block young players.

Reactions: BernieParent

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
ya thats how i see things too, this year is for establishing whos staying and whos going and over the next few years the players that dont fit in will be moved for futures. starting in 2025 whatever open roster spots there are will be earned and there will be legitimate competition between the prospects to be ready and make the most of their chance instead of just being next in line

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
If you want to figure out who should stay, is it good to fill up the open roster spots with veteran slop so you can't see said players play???
im talking about the roster players not the prospects. now would be a terrible time to start auditioning kids that can maybe be part of the rebuild astill. you fill the holes in 2024 with vets so the current roster can play the season with no excuses, no distractions in the locker room. Theres going to be some players that we keep, and some players that we move but if we stick them with a bunch of rookies its not really a fair deal. Give them vets for a year, see whos actually improved through all this mess, then in 2025 you start rolling the prospects out to fill the holes because everyone thats left are the guys that are willing to die for each other and thats the kind of culture you want to rub off on the rookies

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
Gauthier michkov brink
Farabee frost Foerster
Laughton cooter tippet
Wisdom destroyer Allison
Sanheim Andrae
York risto
Zamula bonk

There's still some contracts that are going to be here but come michkovs rookie year we could be looking at a decent squad with talent in the pipeline.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Gauthier michkov brink
Farabee frost Foerster
Laughton cooter tippet
Wisdom destroyer Allison
Sanheim Andrae
York risto
Zamula bonk

There's still some contracts that are going to be here but come michkovs rookie year we could be looking at a decent squad with talent in the pipeline.
I think it'll look more like this:

Farabee - Couts - TK?
Gauthier - Michkov - Foerster
Cates - Frost - Tippett
Desnoyers - Poehling/Avon - Wisdom/Kaplan
Brink, Bump, Cernik

York - ???
Andrae - Bonk
Zamula - Attard

Laughton, Sanheim, Risto traded

RHD and LW are the two high picks/trade acquisitions over the next couple years.
I could see them packaging a 1st, 2nd and a prospect or two for a 1RHD in his mid-20s at some point.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Gauthier michkov brink
Farabee frost Foerster
Laughton cooter tippet
Wisdom destroyer Allison
Sanheim Andrae
York risto
Zamula bonk

That would still be one of the worst defenses in the league.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
All they need to add is a legitimate 1RHD, whether through the draft or by trade.

Henry Miller

Sep 5, 2020
After Michkov, it's a pretty average looking group compared to the rest of the league. Need to nail the 2024 Draft.
I agree for the most part but Gauthier would be the top prospect on probably at least half the teams in the league. I’d imagine the Flyers will have one of the best prospect pools in 2 years

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
That would still be one of the worst defenses in the league.
I'm high on sanheim and think he can get back to being a supportive top pair guy. There's a pretty big hole next to him but if things play out well we should have really good depth.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Sanheim has always been a 2nd pair guy, that's his upside.
While last season was probably an anomaly, he's 27, there might be minor incremental improvement, but it's unlikely he makes a great leap forward.

Unless he's willing to waive his NTC, they're stuck with him for 4 seasons. And at 31, 4x$6.25M won't be easy to move, though not impossible with a cap that should be about $16M more (20%) at that point.

Reactions: tnfrs

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
The only position I feel good about is goal. Between Ersson, the 3 Russians and Bjornsson, you’d have to think at least one develops into a quality NHL starter.

Up front, be it at C or on the wing, Michkov has legit first line potential. Gauthier, if kept on the wing, has 1st line potential too. If they keep him at center though, 2C is probably his ceiling. After that, well, Foerster and perhaps Brink have 2nd line potential and one or two others might reach the 3rd line, but the rest are a bunch of 4th liners and future career AHLers.

On D, it’s worse, much worse. Andrae and Bonk have 2nd pair potential and that’s pretty much that. The rest? A bunch of 6/7 guys and more AHL fodder. Not only do they need to acquire at least 2 more firsts between 24 and 25, they really need to hit on at least 4 of the 5. Having a top 5 pick in both drafts would be nice too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad