Prospect Info: 2023-24 Ducks Prospects

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
This is the part of it that's garbage. I'm not sure if all the guys that were there had contracts yet but flying to florida to pay to participate in a camp isn't cheap, especially for a teenager making junior hockey "wages". Pretty shit thing for management to do imo.
Totally agree and it’s not like ahl players even make all that much either.

Lastly not wanting to pile on verbeek too much but like it kind of feels like he made his trainor friend a nice little windfall of money

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
Which is funny because they also said that the prospects paying their way for this camp was one of the mitigating factors and that the punishment would have been much steeper had the ducks officially been paying for the camp.

I had a bad feeling about it at the time but now knowing a few more details I really dislike how the organization basically made them pay to give up vacation days

The problem with the way this news has been presented though is that it doesn't provide enough context. It's possible the organization pressured them, and, if they did, it's clearly wrong. However, if you're a new prospect in the organization and a bunch of other prospects are paying to go down to Florida, you could feel pressure to be with the group. If the people who recommended the tournament are in the Ducks organization, it could be easy for players to feel like the Ducks are pressuring them to join the group indirectly. I think intention matters in a situation like this.

IMO, this could be a similar situation to what happened with Perry. The reaction of accountability has to be there, but it might not have been as egregious as first assumed. Or, it could be worse than we think. I just don't like jumping to conclusions about how people were treated until there's more context.

Reactions: Ducks DVM and JAHV
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts

Ducks were fined 50K for loosely organizing off-season workouts for prospects in Florida. Friedman says some of our prospects complained to the league that they felt pressured to do so.

This is really embarrassing. What is/are the higher ups doing?

• Haha
Reactions: BringBackTheIceman

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
The problem with the way this news has been presented though is that it doesn't provide enough context. It's possible the organization pressured them, and, if they did, it's clearly wrong. However, if you're a new prospect in the organization and a bunch of other prospects are paying to go down to Florida, you could feel pressure to be with the group. If the people who recommended the tournament are in the Ducks organization, it could be easy for players to feel like the Ducks are pressuring them to join the group indirectly. I think intention matters in a situation like this.

IMO, this could be a similar situation to what happened with Perry. The reaction of accountability has to be there, but it might not have been as egregious as first assumed. Or, it could be worse than we think. I just don't like jumping to conclusions about how people were treated until there's more context.
I agree completely. How it was reported also matters. Were these players who actively sought out officials to whom they could complain about this? Or were they asked about it by the league and their responses came across as complaints? Calling a league official and saying, "I felt like the Ducks pressured me to do this" is very different from responding to a question with, "Yeah, I guess I felt like it was kind of required."

I don't know which it is or if it's somewhere on between, but there's a difference in how badly the organization acted.

Reactions: Hey234

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I agree completely. How it was reported also matters. Were these players who actively sought out officials to whom they could complain about this? Or were they asked about it by the league and their responses came across as complaints? Calling a league official and saying, "I felt like the Ducks pressured me to do this" is very different from responding to a question with, "Yeah, I guess I felt like it was kind of required."

I don't know which it is or if it's somewhere on between, but there's a difference in how badly the organization acted.

Or how about the org making it clear it's an optional training camp. That would be the best way to delineate expectations. Using mob-like tactics of "I didn't specifically say the prospects were required to attend the training camp," isn't a great way of doing things on the legit side.

Remember when Lisa Dillman asked if Verbeek would to a self-eval after the 2022-23 season ended and Verbeek felt offended that someone dare ask him that question? Afterwards, Verbeek said if he had time b/c he was busy doing so many other things, then he'd do a self-eval. We never got a self-eval report to this day.

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014

Ducks were fined 50K for loosely organizing off-season workouts for prospects in Florida. Friedman says some of our prospects complained to the league that they felt pressured to do so.

I'm shocked. Verbeek seems like an excellent communicator.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
This is really embarrassing. What is/are the higher ups doing?
It happens lol. Lets not act like this is some big controversy that will keep players away from Anaheim.

I am more pissed about prospects wining around.
Imagine you are an 18 year old kid with no money and you're pressured to fly from Western Canada to Florida and also pay for housing. No pressure, except if you dont the brass will think you aren't serious about training.
Better yet, imagine your boss told you there is a conference in Florida he wants you to go to, but its unpaid and you have to pay for travel and your stay. No pressure except if you dont go you will be looked down on compared to everyone who did go.

The rules exist for a reason. They broke them and they paid the fine. Not a big deal, just don't do it again.

Reactions: Yemeth

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
Last night Sidorov put up 13 shots on goal, but finished the game without a point.
He loves to shoot. And he shoots from anywhere.. The issue with him is.. He wont get that freedom when he hits AHL or NHL.. He is a sniper.. So he will be tight checked.. Needs to work harder and play smarter to get that space to get his shot off.

Reactions: Kalv and lwvs84

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad