Speculation: 2023-24 Armchair GM thread

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
If we keep heading down this path do you look at trading Kap this year before his NMC? He might waive for any contender, but it would be nice to have full control now. Wouldn’t our leverage be better this year with a longer list of teams? I feel like if we suck next year, it will only worsen the taste in his mouth.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If we keep heading down this path do you look at trading Kap this year before his NMC? He might waive for any contender, but it would be nice to have full control now. Wouldn’t our leverage be better this year with a longer list of teams? I feel like if we suck next year, it will only worsen the taste in his mouth.

I would, but I understand the reasons someone wouldn't too

Reactions: Dr Jan Itor

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Kaprizov situation is going to be a bitch to navigate. I don’t hate the idea. Just knowing how he’s operated in the past, I know his agent is going to leverage everything he can to get 97 the most money possible (as he should). Normally in a situation like this, you wait until he’s extension eligible and work with a team he’s willing to sign long term with to get a trade with an extension done (see Fiala). I don’t know why Kaprizov agent would be game for that though. He’s going to get the most money possible if he lets this become a bidding war on July 1. If we trade him this offseason with 2 years left, we may still get a haul, maybe other teams will be worried about the same thing. Tough situation where we may already be backed into a corner. Kaprizov’s agent has Guerin by the balls on this one.

Reactions: AKL

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Kaprizov situation is going to be a bitch to navigate. I don’t hate the idea. Just knowing how he’s operated in the past, I know his agent is going to leverage everything he can to get 97 the most money possible (as he should). Normally in a situation like this, you wait until he’s extension eligible and work with a team he’s willing to sign long term with to get a trade with an extension done (see Fiala). I don’t know why Kaprizov agent would be game for that though. He’s going to get the most money possible if he lets this become a bidding war on July 1. If we trade him this offseason with 2 years left, we may still get a haul, maybe other teams will be worried about the same thing. Tough situation where we may already be backed into a corner. Kaprizov’s agent has Guerin by the balls on this one.

It's gonna get ugly

If you don't have reassurance that he wants to stay here, you can't let it get into the final year of the contract. But you can't get that reassurance at all. And if Kaprizov and his agent are smart they won't play their hand.

So Bill may have to make a tough decision that's better for the organization long term (which he's so far demonstrated an inability to do). But the thing is, if he makes that decision, he's likely gone not long after, so just out of self preservation, he probably won't. But if he doesn't, and Kaprizov leaves in free agency, he's gone anyway, and the only entity that suffers is the organization and the fans, who don't have Kaprizov or the pieces he could have returned.

One thing I could see him looking at, which would be just as bad as not doing anything imo, is making a Tkachuk for Huberdeau type swap, where Kaprizov is Tkachuk and we get the worse player in an attempt to remain competitive.

I would like to see him and Craig forego the profit margins in the interest of what's best for the long term health of the club just one single time, but I'm not going to hold my breath for it.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I shudder at the mere thought of this, but I wonder what Chicago would move for Kaprizov with the understanding that Kaprizov would extend there long term. The thought of Kaprizov-Bedard on one of our chief rivals makes me sick, but they're about the only team that should be towards the top of the draft that I think would be interested in adding a piece like Kaprizov, and has the assets and space to do so.

Right now they'd have the 5th overall pick, so that could be included. They still have other guys like Reichel, Moore and Nazar (I'm assuming Korchinski is off limits, although he would be a great get too).

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Edmonton possibly getting a top 3 pick is interesting to me. Kaprizov's contract expires the same summer as McDavid's, btw.

Ultimately, I don't think they'll end up that far down, but it's something worth monitoring, IMO.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Edmonton possibly getting a top 3 pick is interesting to me. Kaprizov's contract expires the same summer as McDavid's, btw.

Ultimately, I don't think they'll end up that far down, but it's something worth monitoring, IMO.

What would be your idea of a potential trade with them? They'd probably kill to add Kaprizov but they also have no cap space.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I shudder at the mere thought of this, but I wonder what Chicago would move for Kaprizov with the understanding that Kaprizov would extend there long term. The thought of Kaprizov-Bedard on one of our chief rivals makes me sick, but they're about the only team that should be towards the top of the draft that I think would be interested in adding a piece like Kaprizov, and has the assets and space to do so.

Right now they'd have the 5th overall pick, so that could be included. They still have other guys like Reichel, Moore and Nazar (I'm assuming Korchinski is off limits, although he would be a great get too).
I think I'd need them to have a top 2 pick in order to stomach it.

Reactions: keppel146

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
What would be your idea of a potential trade with them? They'd probably kill to add Kaprizov but they also have no cap space.
Since it's not my money, 50% retained for something that includes Celebrini/Eiserman and at least another 1st.

But if they finished with the 4th pick or something, I'd be pretty 'meh' on it. They don't have enough to put with it.

Reactions: AKL

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018

I would rather die lol

Reactions: Victorious Secret

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
What terrifies me is the same GM who thought it was a genius move to throw a horrible, costly extension to Foligno (and also to Zucc) before the season even started is the same guy who is going to handle the delicate situation with Kaprizov. And I'm guessing he won't be as friendly to Kap, because he's not one of "his guys".

Reactions: Sweetnut

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
Patrick Kane is still available. Too bad we have no cap space. Not that he would ever consider coming here, but there is no room for a desperate move going forward, and it annoys me big time.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Patrick Kane is still available. Too bad we have no cap space. Not that he would ever consider coming here, but there is no room for a desperate move going forward, and it annoys me big time.
Just remember that this was always going to be the hardest year. Things get much more flexible once we make it through this one and then wide open by the following trade deadline. But yeah, not much we can do at the moment but twiddle our thumbs and at least enjoy the youth developing.

Reactions: Sweetnut

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Just remember that this was always going to be the hardest year. Things get much more flexible once we make it through this one and then wide open by the following trade deadline. But yeah, not much we can do at the moment but twiddle our thumbs and at least enjoy the youth developing.
Things would've gotten much more flexible once we got through this year, but the re-signings happened.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Random thought, as a secondary move, under the assumption that we have an actual top 4 LHD in his place, would you do a swap of Middleton for Nick Seeler? Seeler has this season and next at $775M AAV vs Middleton’s three years, $2.45MM AAV.

Feel like they are similar player types that BG loves, but keeps it to the bottom pair and helps open a bit of cap space. Solid defensively, willing to sacrifice his body, cheap. All traits we could use.

I know it’s a retread, and I also have direct ties to the player so I am biased, but seems like a reasonable option if the right other move pops up and we need some quick cap help.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Random thought, as a secondary move, under the assumption that we have an actual top 4 LHD in his place, would you do a swap of Middleton for Nick Seeler? Seeler has this season and next at $775M AAV vs Middleton’s three years, $2.45MM AAV.

Feel like they are similar player types that BG loves, but keeps it to the bottom pair and helps open a bit of cap space. Solid defensively, willing to sacrifice his body, cheap. All traits we could use.

I know it’s a retread, and I also have direct ties to the player so I am biased, but seems like a reasonable option if the right other move pops up and we need some quick cap help.

Why would any other team do that trade? Middleton is bad cap at this point. He's a d-man that gotten any offseason as a UFA for half the price. I think the extra year of term hurts his trade value.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Why would any other team do that trade? Middleton is bad cap at this point. He's a d-man that gotten any offseason as a UFA for half the price. I think the extra year of term hurts his trade value.
“Look at those even strength points! No need to dive deeper beyond that, Torts can fix any other deficiencies I am sure.”

Easy sell.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
“Look at those even strength points! No need to dive deeper beyond that, Torts can fix any other deficiencies I am sure.”

Easy sell.

So the Goli, in the first half of his $5m year here, treatment?

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
So the Goli, in the first half of his $5m year here, treatment?
Well Goli was at least a massively + player that year. I’m having a hard time myself determining how much blame to allot between Middleton and Mermis, I imagine opposing GMs would have similar challenges and may think he rebounds in a different situation.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
What terrifies me is the same GM who thought it was a genius move to throw a horrible, costly extension to Foligno (and also to Zucc) before the season even started is the same guy who is going to handle the delicate situation with Kaprizov. And I'm guessing he won't be as friendly to Kap, because he's not one of "his guys".
Kap is already as good as gone IMO.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Yeah the more I think about it, I’d be surprised if Kap stays. Don’t really blame him either. I just hope Guerin doesn’t fumble the bag here. What he does with Kaprizov and the 15M+ in cap space in the next couple of years will determine the path of this team for a decade.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Yeah the more I think about it, I’d be surprised if Kap stays. Don’t really blame him either. I just hope Guerin doesn’t fumble the bag here. What he does with Kaprizov and the 15M+ in cap space in the next couple of years will determine the path of this team for a decade.
Well, 15M can buy a lot of good leadership. I look forward to the Foligno buyout in a couple of years as well as the trade with the Leafs for Reaves.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Honestly, I don’t want Kap re-signed. He’ll cost too much and he’ll already be on his decline. Rather use that money elsewhere

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad