Prospect Info: 2023-2024 Rangers Prospects Thread (Prospect Stats in Post #1; Updated 04.22.2024)

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Here is the tournament information.

Cornell 5:30 Thursday, Minnesota vs. Omaha 8:30 Thursday, BC is Friday, time not listed but it's the second game probably 8:30.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Here is the tournament information.

Cornell 5:30 Thursday, Minnesota vs. Omaha 8:30 Thursday, BC is Friday, time not listed but it's the second game probably 8:30.

BC is at 2pm. Quinnipiac is at 5:30pm

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Colorado College is what it is as a program but they also have a bunch of forwards that are sophomores and younger. They'll be bringing most guys back next season up front. Defense is a different story as they're losing a ton. He may want to run it back one more time with that group.

I'd definitely sign him. He's a lot more polished than Chmelar and they signed the latter.
mid season article re Laba, i extracted some key excerpts

"I think my favorite part is being able to play both sides of the rink," Laba said of playing center. "I like getting deep in the 'D' zone and helping the defensemen break out the puck and getting low in the zone and creating time and space for my wingers.
"I think I'm a big, two-way power forward and I can play both ends of the ice," said Laba, who is second among the team's forwards in ice time (17 minutes, 49 seconds per game). "If we need to defend, be on the penalty kill or be hard in the 'D' zone or keep it out of our net, I can do that. If we need to go on offense, I think I do a good job of creating time and space for my wingers and I can be a playmaker as well as score a goal."

Head Coach comments:
"He plays a very similar style every single night where speed is his best asset and he can get from zero to 60 (mph) in two strides," Mayotte said. "His acceleration and his quick twitch is incredible for someone who is 6-2. His athleticism stands out.
"Then he's got a mentality to him to impact and attack. He's not a slow-it-down, problem solve, make plays to the weak side kind of guy. He's a guy who wants to take you to the net himself. I think he's just learning to be more and more consistent with that, which is why you're seeing Player of the Month. He's better on faceoffs than he was last year. His puck decisions are better. His puck possession is better, which is allowing him to be in the offensive zone more where he can let his skill set flourish."

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
btw OHL and QMJHL regular seasons ended on the weekend
playoff schedules for the 3 NYR prospects, all Fs, playing CHL
Barrie at Oshawa[RoobroeckGuelph at Sault Ste Marie[McConnell-BarkerRimouski[Barbashev at Cape Breton
fri 29 at Oshawathu 28 at Soofri 29 at CB
sun 31 at Oshawasat 30 at Soosat 30 at CB
tue 2 at Barriemon 1 at Guelphtue 2 at Rimouski
thu 4 at Barriewed 3 at Guelphwed 3 at Rimouski
fri 5 at Oshawafri 5 at Soofri 5 at Rimouski
sun 7 at Barriesun 7 at Guelphmon 8 at CB
tue 9 at Oshawatue 9 at Sootue 9 at CB

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
mid season article re Laba, i extracted some key excerpts

"I think my favorite part is being able to play both sides of the rink," Laba said of playing center. "I like getting deep in the 'D' zone and helping the defensemen break out the puck and getting low in the zone and creating time and space for my wingers.
"I think I'm a big, two-way power forward and I can play both ends of the ice," said Laba, who is second among the team's forwards in ice time (17 minutes, 49 seconds per game). "If we need to defend, be on the penalty kill or be hard in the 'D' zone or keep it out of our net, I can do that. If we need to go on offense, I think I do a good job of creating time and space for my wingers and I can be a playmaker as well as score a goal."

Head Coach comments:
"He plays a very similar style every single night where speed is his best asset and he can get from zero to 60 (mph) in two strides," Mayotte said. "His acceleration and his quick twitch is incredible for someone who is 6-2. His athleticism stands out.
"Then he's got a mentality to him to impact and attack. He's not a slow-it-down, problem solve, make plays to the weak side kind of guy. He's a guy who wants to take you to the net himself. I think he's just learning to be more and more consistent with that, which is why you're seeing Player of the Month. He's better on faceoffs than he was last year. His puck decisions are better. His puck possession is better, which is allowing him to be in the offensive zone more where he can let his skill set flourish."
more re Laba (and undrafted teammates)

College Hockey news podcast
at 27:30, Laba's coach, Mayotte joined
after discussing vagaries of Pairwise, and CC's missing out by a tiny fraction, he discussed players turning pro

heaped praise on 4 year CC RHD age 23 Jack Millar .. hopes he'll return to CC for a 5th season

also hopes soph G, undrafted Kaidan Mberenko (2 strong WJCs, 2 strong NCAA seasons) will return

in minute ~46 Mayotte says re Laba
its a difficult business decision, he hopes Laba will return
"he know New York wants him, will make a push for him"
"he plays a style that he will be successful"

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
more re Laba (and undrafted teammates)

College Hockey news podcast
at 27:30, Laba's coach, Mayotte joined
after discussing vagaries of Pairwise, and CC's missing out by a tiny fraction, he discussed players turning pro

heaped praise on 4 year CC RHD age 23 Jack Millar .. hopes he'll return to CC for a 5th season

also hopes soph G, undrafted Kaidan Mberenko (2 strong WJCs, 2 strong NCAA seasons) will return

in minute ~46 Mayotte says re Laba
its a difficult business decision, he hopes Laba will return
"he know New York wants him, will make a push for him"
"he plays a style that he will be successful"
Two other teammates that Corey Pronman had on this year's top free agent list although farther down the list were 20 year old sophomore LW Glen Veremyev from Monroe Township NJ and 21 year old freshman RW Bret Link. Both are big wingers with Veremyev second on the team in scoring.

Reactions: kovazub94 and cwede

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Doesn't Dylan Roobroeck play center in juniors? If so will he play center at the pro level or will he be another center moved to LW because why not add depth to LW to an overcrowded position.. Can he play RW, if the Rangers don't want him playing center at the pro level. Will he get signed this summer? Has 3rd line potential in my opinion.

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
Doesn't Dylan Roobroeck play center in juniors? If so will he play center at the pro level or will he be another center moved to LW because why not add depth to LW to an overcrowded position.. Can he play RW, if the Rangers don't want him playing center at the pro level. Will he get signed this summer? Has 3rd line potential in my opinion.
3rd line potential sounds great. But really want to see an Edstrom-Roobroeck-Rempe fourth line to begin with.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Barker with 2 assists in a 4-1. Soo is up 2-0 in their series. Barker has 4 points in the 2 games.
Curious to see the name McConnell-Barker goes by as pro
Zuccarello-Aasen shortened to Zuccarello
Audy-Marchessault to Marchessault
... and a handful of NHL guys with hyphenated names which arent such a mouthful

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Now Kempf season done too
Sign Laba, Kempf, Mancini
Keep the wheel turning and the pipeline greased
I've always spoken positively of Kempf but I don't think I'd sign him now. I don't think he's made a ton of progress, honestly. He's a solid college defenseman but is pretty limited. Let him play his senior year and then make the decision then.

Honestly if the choice was Kempf or one of a dozen college free agents I'd probably go the college free agents route.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Kempf looked like a guy who will make a solid career AHL 2nd-3rd pair defenseman but doesn't quite have NHL pace of play to me. There's a chance after his 4 years that he agrees to an AHL only to start.

Mancini I wish I'd seen more of this year, ECAC teams never play Nebraska, but our prospect depth at defense is so atrocious now that I'd take a shot on him.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
If I had to choose right now between signing Mancini or Kempf it would be easily Mancini. Bigger, stronger guy than Kempf and he's a really good skater. We might have a larger version of Ruhwedel there. Neither appear to have much of a two way game. They're both stay at home types so far as their college careers have gone. Sometimes you can't tell....Brady Skjei didn't put up much offense in college either. Size and skating, ability to defend are very good things for a D to have.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Watching Oshawa Barrie.

Rooboreck needs work but he's 90000x the prospect that Rempe is. Much better tight area mobility and a decent skill level.

He clearly benefits from playing with Ritchie (Col 1st rounder last year) and Sennecke (who will go in the 1st in 2024) but he's a nice compliment to that line.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
Watching Oshawa Barrie.

Rooboreck needs work but he's 90000x the prospect that Rempe is. Much better tight area mobility and a decent skill level.

He clearly benefits from playing with Ritchie (Col 1st rounder last year) and Sennecke (who will go in the 1st in 2024) but he's a nice compliment to that line.
let's not forget what we have in edstrom. guy may not be a savage menace like rempe but he can skate and he can play. 4th liner out of camp next year imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad