Prospect Info: 2023-2024 Rangers Prospects Thread (Prospect Stats in Post #1; Updated 05.07.2024)

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
Holy f***, what an ending - BC wins in OT and moves on. Jack Malone scores the game winner. Quin goalie made a big save, puck squirted out front of the net, Quin tries to clear and it falls right on Malone's stick looking at a wide open net with the Quin goalie still sitting on the ice.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
BC moves on. GP did not factor into this win. It's a good thing BC has the depth that they do. GP needs to show up in the final games.

Hope so

Last thing the Rangers need is someone who disappears in big games.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Watching Oshawa Barrie.

Rooboreck needs work but he's 90000x the prospect that Rempe is. Much better tight area mobility and a decent skill level.

He clearly benefits from playing with Ritchie (Col 1st rounder last year) and Sennecke (who will go in the 1st in 2024) but he's a nice compliment to that line.

I think Roobroeck's a very good prospect but there are reasons why Rempe is regarded highly by the Rangers management and coaching. His willingness to play hard, be nasty and play tough are very much part of it. He is still a work in progress but the Rangers want him to be something like a bigger version of what Nick Fotiu was a long time ago. Rempe will in the future be a 4th line forward for us. That's pretty much his ceiling but he can get better. What the Rangers want is his toughness and nastiness along with defensively responsible play when he's on the ice and whatever offense he chips in is gravy. I expect he'll be with the Rangers at least most of next year. I also expect his skating will improve even more and he'll be a little smarter with the rough stuff.

Edstrom isn't being groomed for what Rempe is and neither will Roobroeck be if he continues to progress. Edstrom doesn't fight for one thing. Roobroeck fights occasionally. Think of it this way Rempe as a better skating, and a better all around player than Boogaard. Roobroeck if he continues to progress might be more like a Brian Boyle.

Reactions: Clark Kellogg

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I think Roobroeck's a very good prospect but there are reasons why Rempe is regarded highly by the Rangers management and coaching. His willingness to play hard, be nasty and play tough are very much part of it. He is still a work in progress but the Rangers want him to be something like a bigger version of what Nick Fotiu was a long time ago. Rempe will in the future be a 4th line forward for us. That's pretty much his ceiling but he can get better. What the Rangers want is his toughness and nastiness along with defensively responsible play when he's on the ice and whatever offense he chips in is gravy. I expect he'll be with the Rangers at least most of next year. I also expect his skating will improve even more and he'll be a little smarter with the rough stuff.

Edstrom isn't being groomed for what Rempe is and neither will Roobroeck be if he continues to progress. Edstrom doesn't fight for one thing. Roobroeck fights occasionally. Think of it this way Rempe as a better skating, and a better all around player than Boogaard. Roobroeck if he continues to progress might be more like a Brian Boyle.

Boyle would be a wonderful outcome but he's got some legit snarl to his game.

Boyle played hard and turned himself into a hell of a support piece but he didn't really have that bite. He was willing, but hardly a mean player.

But this is kind of what I'm saying. I think Rooboreck can be a legitimate top 12 NHL forward. Rempe to me is a 13th forward at most unless he can improve his agility.

Reactions: Lua

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
I want to see how Roobroeck’s skills translate to the A next year. Has a complete game in juniors, would be great if it continues at the next level. The only reason he fights occasionally is the overbearing OHL rule. Two game suspension if you get in a 4th fight on the season. I expect we’ll see more as a pro. He knows what he’s doing and can throw some nasty shots.

Rempe’s speed is the differentiator between him and the remaining heavyweights in the league. I have hiim as a regular on that alone. I expect his agility and overall game to improve as he gets older

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
I've always spoken positively of Kempf but I don't think I'd sign him now. I don't think he's made a ton of progress, honestly. He's a solid college defenseman but is pretty limited. Let him play his senior year and then make the decision then.

Honestly if the choice was Kempf or one of a dozen college free agents I'd probably go the college free agents route.
But college free agents might look at the Rangers left defense looking forward, Miller, Lingren, Jones/Gustafsson, Fortescue and not find the Rangers very appealing because there is no clear path to the NHL. I'm not sure there would be a choice.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Kempf looked like a guy who will make a solid career AHL 2nd-3rd pair defenseman but doesn't quite have NHL pace of play to me. There's a chance after his 4 years that he agrees to an AHL only to start.

Mancini I wish I'd seen more of this year, ECAC teams never play Nebraska, but our prospect depth at defense is so atrocious now that I'd take a shot on him.
If a seventh round raft choice turns out to have a solid AHL career I would consider that a success and worth a signing.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015

Boyle played hard and turned himself into a hell of a support piece but he didn't really have that bite. He was willing, but hardly a mean player.

But this is kind of what I'm saying. I think Rooboreck can be a legitimate top 12 NHL forward. Rempe to me is a 13th forward at most unless he can improve his agility.
Oshawa wins 5-4. Roobreock with a goal, his second in two games, 8 shots on goal and 6-11 on face-offs.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

Well FWIW Rempe has a lot of Rangers fans already on his side but there are also some who are embarrassed by the kind of player he is. They seem to see a throwback of a dinosaur style of player......that the NHL is now just a skills league. The thing with Matthew is he has speed and he's shown he can close really quickly. His skating issues are more on the balance and mobility side of things both of which though have improved quite a bit since we drafted him. He has an ability to bring chaos into any given game. That's something the Rangers are going to try to channel.

I do like Edstrom and can easily see him making the Rangers next year. If he does he'll be another bottom line player. That's always been his ticket. He was groomed at Rogle to be a defensive forward....he's a smooth skater but he's always had limited offense. Roobroeck's intriguing. I don't see a top 6 NHL forward in him either but like the other two we really don't need him to be. Also making the jump to the AHL is a big step and a lot of players never quite do it. That's his next real challenge. If he can do that then he's possibly on his way too. Rempe can survive on his limited offensive game because he brings other things besides that and at 21 and with a good three or so years of improved skating etc. he is likely going to become a more balanced skater and a more punishing physical force. He hits 25 he almost certainly will be a smoother skater and likely will be 260 lbs. anyway and with his speed that's a weapon that no other NHL team (or at least right now) has. Not a player that I'd give up on.

Reactions: Galvatron

Black Tank

Dec 12, 2006
a NYer in England
Well FWIW Rempe has a lot of Rangers fans already on his side but there are also some who are embarrassed by the kind of player he is. They seem to see a throwback of a dinosaur style of player......that the NHL is now just a skills league.
The problem with this board is that some fans have a massive f***ing ego and can't accept it when reality disproves thier belief system. They can't move on and will NEVER move on. I see this more with prospects than any other area and of course it applies to Rempe as well.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The problem with this board is that some fans have a massive f***ing ego and can't accept it when reality disproves thier belief system. They can't move on and will NEVER move on. I see this more with prospects than any other area and of course it applies to Rempe as well.

It's not just hockey.....it's a lot of people on a lot of things and my guess is that pretty much everyone has some area of belief they have their own difficulties with. Just as a mea culpa I know I can be a knowitall on some things too.

That said to build a winning hockey culture and team you need to put together a lot of different elements and not everyone is going to put up a lot of points but that doesn't necessarily mean they can't be very valuable to the success of the team.....even if they don't win any awards or no one talks about them much except to run them down a bit. I think with Rempe it's not just what he's doing now (which IMO does carry value) but what he has a real potential to become in a few years and even further in the future.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
i'm not sure who this is directed at, but it ain't just sports fans and it ain't just this board.

I think Rempe could be a great 4th line presence. I'm not sure he should be starting regularly in the postseason.

I'm not saying he should or shouldn't. I just don't feel like i'm confident either way. i see the arguments on both sides - energy. size. physical imposition. but also penalties, lack of defensive awareness, lack of trust by the staff.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
If a seventh round raft choice turns out to have a solid AHL career I would consider that a success and worth a signing.

I guess.

IDK if I was a GM, I wouldn't be using any draft picks for guys I expected to top out at AHL players. Fewer diamonds in the rough now than there used to be in Europe, but I'd still go for a long shot over a known mediocre.

The trade down from Scott Reedy to select Brandon Crawley, who everyone knew was not an NHL player, is one of my bugaboos on this issue

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
I guess.

IDK if I was a GM, I wouldn't be using any draft picks for guys I expected to top out at AHL players. Fewer diamonds in the rough now than there used to be in Europe, but I'd still go for a long shot over a known mediocre.

The trade down from Scott Reedy to select Brandon Crawley, who everyone knew was not an NHL player, is one of my bugaboos on this issue
Agree on Crawley but he was a fourth round pick. You’ve got a chance for a player in that round. By round 7 it’s a success if you bother to sign the guy. So sure if you feel you have a diamond in the rough in the 7th round go for it. But if not I don’t see a problem with a guy you think can make a contribution in the AHL. You need to stick the AHL team as well.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
btw OHL and QMJHL regular seasons ended on the weekend
playoff schedules for the 3 NYR prospects, all Fs, playing CHL
Barrie at Oshawa[RoobroeckGuelph at Sault Ste Marie[McConnell-BarkerRimouski[Barbashev at Cape Breton
fri 29 at Oshawathu 28 at Soofri 29 at CB
sun 31 at Oshawasat 30 at Soosat 30 at CB
tue 2 at Barriemon 1 at Guelphtue 2 at Rimouski
thu 4 at Barriewed 3 at Guelphwed 3 at Rimouski
fri 5 at Oshawafri 5 at Soofri 5 at Rimouski
sun 7 at Barriesun 7 at Guelphmon 8 at CB
tue 9 at Oshawatue 9 at Sootue 9 at CB

Oshawa split 1st 2 playoff games, Roobroeck with 1 point(goal) each game

Soo won first 2 games, play again tonight(Monday)
BMB was 1st star in game1, 2nd star in game 2, 2 points in each

Rimouski got whomped in 1st 2 games at Cape Breton
but in Saturday 3-7 loss, Barbashev contributed 2 assists
no one on Rimouski has more than 2 points so far

Reactions: kovazub94

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad