Prospect Info: 2023-2024 Rangers Prospects Thread (Prospect Stats in Post #1; Updated 05.07.2024)

Greg02

Jun 28, 2009
Chara was 25/26 before he finally settled in. Tage Thompson started breaking out at 24.

Rempe is 21. These huge kids take time. The fact that he can take a shift in the NHL and make a positive impact is already a huge win for a 6th round pick. With some development, he can be a terror on the 4th line for years to come.
You can't compare a generational talent to Chara or Tage Thompson.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
is barker actually an NHLer i've been totally unmoved by him for some reason
Last year in his D+1 BMB was the prospect who arguably took the biggest step forward in his development among non-pros in North America. In his draft he was also projected to go higher than where the Rangers got him.

Reactions: Chalfdiggity3

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Last year in his D+1 BMB was the prospect who arguably took the biggest step forward in his development among non-pros in North America. In his draft he was also projected to go higher than where the Rangers got him.
He also was concussed into another dimension and missed a month and a half of playtime. It's almost certainly had some impact on how he's performed since. He's a smart player with some size and reach. I know this comparison is going to give people PTSD, but he reminds me of Brett Howden. Obviously, you hope for a better outcome with BMB, but I think their frames and play styles are pretty similar.

Reactions: Galvatron

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
He also was concussed into another dimension and missed a month and a half of playtime. It's almost certainly had some impact on how he's performed since. He's a smart player with some size and reach. I know this comparison is going to give people PTSD, but he reminds me of Brett Howden. Obviously, you hope for a better outcome with BMB, but I think their frames and play styles are pretty similar.

Brett Howden might have turned out differently if the Rangers hadn't rushed him into the NHL. At the time we didn't have a lot of options. We'd just torn the team down and our prospect development system had been a wreck and we were just starting to rebuild it. So pretty much straight from the WHL for a player who probably could have used a season or two in the AHL.

That said he's become a useful bottom 6 player for Vegas and is now a Stanley Cup winner.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Arthur Staple @StapeAthletic
#NYR announce they've signed D Victor Mancini, 2022 5th-rounder out of Nebraska-Omaha, to a 2-year ELC
here's the NYR release link

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Mancini is a big boy who skates really well (not just for his size) and he uses that size and strength well to play defensively. I think the hope for him is that he becomes something like a Ryan Lindgren in that he can move the puck effectively but mainly errs on the defensive size.

Is he physical with his size ? Does he take the body and or relies to poke check? Not familiar with him much. Who would you compare him too?

Brett Howden might have turned out differently if the Rangers hadn't rushed him into the NHL. At the time we didn't have a lot of options. We'd just torn the team down and our prospect development system had been a wreck and we were just starting to rebuild it. So pretty much straight from the WHL for a player who probably could have used a season or two in the AHL.

That said he's become a useful bottom 6 player for Vegas and is now a Stanley Cup winner.

It’s just odd that they got rid of Howden and basically replaced him with an overpaid 4th liner in Goodrow. That did not make sense. Howden is someone like you said not rushed, or even with a different coach, who knows how he would turn out. He was not bad as people seemed. He was in a bad situation with no direction. Not his fault.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Is he physical with his size ? Does he take the body and or relies to poke check? Not familiar with him much. Who would you compare him too?

It’s just odd that they got rid of Howden and basically replaced him with an overpaid 4th liner in Goodrow. That did not make sense. Howden is someone like you said not rushed, or even with a different coach, who knows how he would turn out. He was not bad as people seemed. He was in a bad situation with no direction. Not his fault.

He doesn't go out of his way to throw the body but he is positionally sound and isn't afraid to make contact when it presents itself.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Our 18th ranked and a player who wasn't ranked in our top 20 were signed to contracts today.

giphy.gif

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I wonder if he wants to come over and play in the AHL next year, or still spend one year in Finland. Hopefully the former, because earlier rumours have had him leaving TPS to another Liiga club...

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
I wonder if he wants to come over and play in the AHL next year, or still spend one year in Finland. Hopefully the former, because earlier rumours have had him leaving TPS to another Liiga club...

Seems to have the size to play in the AHL but probably needs to bulk up some Elite Prospects has him at 6'5 193lbs.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Vaisanen has a good frame at 6'4" 203, is a good skater and has good offensive instincts. I liked him in both WJCs he was in. I compared him favorably to Chmelar heading into the season. He's not as stong and physical as Chmelar but he's probaly more naturally skilled. He was buried on the TPS roster, although he did get a fair amount of PK time from the extremely little I saw this season.

No idea what he'll become, given his limited role thus far in a league that I don't think very highly of.

Reactions: doming07

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Vaisanen has a good frame at 6'4" 203, is a good skater and has good offensive instincts. I liked him in both WJCs he was in. I compared him favorably to Chmelar heading into the season. He's not as stong and physical as Chmelar but he's probaly more naturally skilled. He was buried on the TPS roster, although he did get a fair amount of PK time from the extremely little I saw this season.

No idea what he'll become, given his limited role thus far in a league that I don't think very highly of.
Agree with all of this.
Looks like he’s had a down year offensively…. Sometimes bigger players have to cook a little longer when still growing into their bodies.
They have him listed at 6 4” 178-180.
That’s a bean pole. He’s still got some filling out to do.
I like both him and chmelar, I think both have the size/talent combo to be useful bottom 6 fwds.
Excited to see what both can do in Hartford.
1 coming back from injury and 1 coming in looking to rebound.
I’m rooting for both

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
This is data from Cap Friendly.

With the signings of four draft choices, assuming that Barbashev and Tarnstrom aren't signed by the June 1 deadline, and excluding Kjeilberg, who appears to have retired and Pashnin, who is 34, the Rangers only have 10 players on its Reserve List including Lauri Pajumiemi, who I think is unlikely come back. The nine are Fortescue, Hendricks, Karpa, Kempf, Laba, Lamb, Larsson, Perrault and Roobroeck. There should be 4-5 additions from this year's draft. This is a small number compared to the past.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Cap Friendly is coordinating with a scouting service to provide reports on players.

The service has this report on Chmelar.

"A young college prospect who has signed with the NYR.
The Rangers drafted Chmelar in the 4th round (144th) in 2021
Big body. Long reach. Has the ability to 'pick pocket' opponents and create turnovers with his length. Occasionally pounces on lose pucks around the crease. When time and space allows he has a quick release - especially from between the hash marks in the offensive zone.
On the PP his stature creates issues for opponents when he gets in the 'eyes' of goaltenders setting screens. Average plus skater. Room for much more explosiveness out of the gate.
Needs time to define himself overall. Leans 13F / Recall forward to start - with potential to provide some depth scoring."

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Cap Friendly is coordinating with a scouting service to provide reports on players.

The service has this report on Chmelar.

"A young college prospect who has signed with the NYR.
The Rangers drafted Chmelar in the 4th round (144th) in 2021
Big body. Long reach. Has the ability to 'pick pocket' opponents and create turnovers with his length. Occasionally pounces on lose pucks around the crease. When time and space allows he has a quick release - especially from between the hash marks in the offensive zone.
On the PP his stature creates issues for opponents when he gets in the 'eyes' of goaltenders setting screens. Average plus skater. Room for much more explosiveness out of the gate.
Needs time to define himself overall. Leans 13F / Recall forward to start - with potential to provide some depth scoring."

1 minor correction: he was a 5th round pick

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
I'm gonna guess Barbashev, Karpa do not get signed
not yet at decision point w Karpa,
has another year of (Ivy-league) eligibility at Harvard,
and could do a 5th NCAA season, elsewhere, as well

Barbashev's had mixed results since draft day
I'd prefer they not bail too early, his '22-23 was so promising
if he'd agree, rather than ELC, could sign him to AHL deal