2023-2024 Playoff Tracker - updated after each DET game

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
They wouldn't "have" to pull the goalie. They might, but wouldn't have to.
That would be akin to giving up, a fireable offense in the coaching world.

If the only way you can make the playoffs is a regulation win against the team your playing against, then you do everything in your power to win in regulation. Which means if you're tied near the end of regulation you are pulling your goalie.

Winning in OT means the same as losing in regulation, you HAVE to pull your goalie in that situation or you shouldn't be making those types of decisions.

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
nah f that, we want playoffs

Sure, I want playoffs too. My comment was a bit flippant and not entirely accurate. I'm confident the Wings will play well. My day will be stress-free until 5pm my time, when the game starts. Then, two and a half hours of stress. I'll be pissed if the Wings don't play well or if a couple dumb things lead to a loss. But I'm not going to waste a minute of my day trying to come up with reasons to believe the Flyers have a chance to win. Hoping Lindgren sucks, or a couple goals bounce in off Carlson's big ass, or that Konecny goes off ... that took about 30 seconds and now I'm done worrying about it. There is obviously a chance the Flyers could win and I hope they do, but do I think they will? F--k no.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023
Is this right? I was thinking OTL from us would get Philly in if they won. But this does seem right now that I'm looking again
Yes.

PHI has 87 and wins tiebreak over PIT if tied and also over Detroit if they end up tied.
Pitt has 88 and wins tiebreaks with WSH and DET if they end up tied.
WSH has 89 and wins tiebreak over Detroit if they end up tied and lose tiebreak to PIT if they tie.
DET has 89 and loses all tiebreaks, so they need to end up with more points than everyone else.

Why they felt the need to change it to RW instead of ROW is beyond me.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

If the only way you can make the playoffs is a regulation win against the team your playing against, then you do everything in your power to win in regulation. Which means if you're tied near the end of regulation you are pulling your goalie.

Winning in OT means the same as losing in regulation, you HAVE to pull your goalie in that situation or you shouldn't be making those types of decisions.

That was like when the Chargers called a timeout in overtime when the Raiders seemingly were going to settle for a tie getting both the Raiders and Chargers into the playoffs.

Instead the Raiders were then forced to run a play, gained enough yardage to kick a field goal and win, knocking the Chargers out.

Immediately should have been the end of Brandon Staley’s tenure. Coaching malfeasance of the highest order.

If you know what you need to do in order to clinch a playoff berth and you don’t do everything possible to achieve that, then as a coach, you would be fired. Like think if Newsy pulled that shit and what do you think Steve’s reaction would be. Steve would be in the tunnel waiting for Lalonde before the bench had even cleared.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Yes.

PHI has 87 and wins tiebreak over PIT if tied and also over Detroit if they end up tied.
Pitt has 88 and wins tiebreaks with WSH and DET if they end up tied.
WSH has 89 and wins tiebreak over Detroit if they end up tied and lose tiebreak to PIT if they tie.
DET has 89 and loses all tiebreaks, so they need to end up with more points than everyone else.

Why they felt the need to change it to RW instead of ROW is beyond me.

As much as it screws the Wings this season, regulation wins makes sense to me for a tiebreaker over ROW. It's full 5 on 5 hockey.

DanielMarois

May 25, 2013
Det and NYI were the two teams who didn't sell at the deadline from the teams who have been fighting for the final spot for the last few weeks. I think that's a sign of who will get in

Axel Sandy Pelikan

May 11, 2023
As much as it screws the Wings this season, regulation wins makes sense to me for a tiebreaker over ROW. It's full 5 on 5 hockey.

I mean, that makes sense... but I think it's another dumb thing that you do to invalidate 3 on 3 and the shootout. I mean, At the end of the day, you still won. Same way that you'd look at a 41-32-9 record and say that's a .500 hockey team. It's still wins and losses. I mean, any other sport, winning in extra innings or in OT in football or basketball isn't viewed with any trepedation or as anything other than a win or loss.

They need to find a way to not treat 3 on 3 or SO as a novelty. Hell, shit, baseball literally gives teams a f***in ghost runner on second in extras now.

If you're going to move to RW as the tiebreaker, you should move to 3 points reg win, 2 points OT/SO W, 1 point OTL, 0 points reg loss. Reward teams for playing aggressively to not get to OT, for playing aggressively to win in OT, and to get penalized harshly for losing in regulation.

How big are those 2 bed crapping games vs Arizona right about now?
Ok? They happened. It sucks, but it changes nothing about what needs to happen.

Reactions: jkutswings

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

eh sports coaches can be weirdly conservative at times with stuff like this

less so than used to be the case but still

One Horse Town

Nov 29, 2023
I mean, that makes sense... but I think it's another dumb thing that you do to invalidate 3 on 3 and the shootout. I mean, At the end of the day, you still won. Same way that you'd look at a 41-32-9 record and say that's a .500 hockey team. It's still wins and losses. I mean, any other sport, winning in extra innings or in OT in football or basketball isn't viewed with any trepedation or as anything other than a win or loss.

They need to find a way to not treat 3 on 3 or SO as a novelty. Hell, shit, baseball literally gives teams a f***in ghost runner on second in extras now.

If you're going to move to RW as the tiebreaker, you should move to 3 points reg win, 2 points OT/SO W, 1 point OTL, 0 points reg loss. Reward teams for playing aggressively to not get to OT, for playing aggressively to win in OT, and to get penalized harshly for losing in regulation.

Ok? They happened. It sucks, but it changes nothing about what needs to happen.
What it does show is a team can never take a night off. NEVER

GarlicbreadTB

Apr 16, 2015
You can look at a lot of sequences throughout a season where points should've been gained, but at the same time we probably won points we shouldn't have. So after 82 games you probably are where you deserve to be.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Why does everyone miss the big picture? Sure the team will lose but not 2 completely uninspired games vs the worst team in the NHL.
Washington also went 0-2 vs Arizona
Pittsburgh went 1-1 vs Arizona

It seems like you're the one missing the big picture to focus on one small aspect.

Also of note, it looks like the best record in the NHL New York Rangers took games off against Buffalo, Columbus, Ottawa, and Philadelphia and I don't think they're regretting it. Sometimes its ok to take a night off, it happens. SOMETIMES.

Reactions: iDangleDangle

Axel Sandy Pelikan

May 11, 2023
Why does everyone miss the big picture? Sure the team will lose but not 2 completely uninspired games vs the worst team in the NHL.

Um... might want to check the standings. Arizona got 35 wins. Shit, Arizona has as many regulation wins as Detroit. I know Arizona has a bad reputation and they're a joke franchise... but they were amazingly not actually that shitty at hockey this year.

I mean, y'all think Ottawa is pretty good, right? They have a single point more than Arizona.

It seems like you're the one missing the big picture to focus on one small aspect.

Also of note, it looks like the best record in the NHL New York Rangers took games off against Buffalo, Columbus, Ottawa, and Philadelphia and I don't think they're regretting it. Sometimes its ok to take a night off, it happens. SOMETIMES.
Shit, Boston has over 100 points and they got shut out by Washington. Washington is in the win and in situation today because they found a way to f***ing hold Boston to 15 shots and shut them out.

Reactions: iDangleDangle

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
Our team is out of their funk and playing great hockey. I have no concerns about the MTL game. To roll into a playoff series right now would be fantastic.

If WSH wins tonight, they deserve the spot but I’d love to watch this roll continue.

One Horse Town

Nov 29, 2023

It's not losses but the uninspired bed crapping against said team. 8-1 in two games.

One Horse Town

Nov 29, 2023
Um... might want to check the standings. Arizona got 35 wins. Shit, Arizona has as many regulation wins as Detroit. I know Arizona has a bad reputation and they're a joke franchise... but they were amazingly not actually that shitty at hockey this year.

I mean, y'all think Ottawa is pretty good, right? They have a single point more than Arizona.

Shit, Boston has over 100 points and they got shut out by Washington. Washington is in the win and in situation today because they found a way to f***ing hold Boston to 15 shots and shut them out.
I never get too upset with a loss. But sure as F do with the way a loss happens.

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
If DET wins and…

WSH wins we are eliminated.
WSH lose we are IN.

(No other games matters)

If DET gets 1 point and…

WSH wins or loses in ot/so we are eliminated.
PIT wins we are eliminated

If WSH fails to get 1 point and PIT fails to get 2 points, we are IN.

If DET loses….

ELIMINATED (and the title of this thread changes tomorrow :(

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad