2023/2024 National U18/U17 Discussion

Draftin Europe

@draftin_europe
Oct 21, 2017
I'd expect something similar, although I have a feeling Eric Nilson might make the team based on the three traning matches.
Nilson is definitely an interesting prospect, one that could potentially break into our top 10 for Sweden this season and one of those that contribute to make this Swedish class look so deep early on.

When looking at that lineup though, I think the only chance he has to break in would be replacing Hillstrom, another interesting player that unlike him already got a look with the national team last season.

Reactions: hockeyprospects9

ThunderStrike

Jul 26, 2023
Defense looks a little shaky, Sjöström and Annborn look to have safe seats and probably Boumedienne despite a mediocre camp.
Otherwise, it is an open story with Hakansson with the best +/- during the camp. Maybe he can fill a spot with his size?

Two forwards that I thought stood out from what they had shown in the past. Novotny looked frustrated and took penalties in every game. Genborg worked hard and has taken steps over the past year. Maybe he can be a complementary player in a third or fourth line in the team?

Thoughts!!

hockeyprospects9

Feb 10, 2023
Sweden
Defense looks a little shaky, Sjöström and Annborn look to have safe seats and probably Boumedienne despite a mediocre camp.
Otherwise, it is an open story with Hakansson with the best +/- during the camp. Maybe he can fill a spot with his size?

Two forwards that I thought stood out from what they had shown in the past. Novotny looked frustrated and took penalties in every game. Genborg worked hard and has taken steps over the past year. Maybe he can be a complementary player in a third or fourth line in the team?

Thoughts!!
Agree on Novotny, if the new coaching were to select players purely based on the games I’m pretty certain he wouldn’t make the team.

He was alright the last game when they switched lines and moved him away from Ekberg centering, which is a position I don’t anticipate Ekberg playing, he should in my opinion be a winger.

Genborg I’ve always liked, he’s skillfull, works hard and plays an overall likeable game. However he’s struggled a bit with generating scoring, espacially in camps like these. I would like to see him over someone like Bräutigam though.

Reactions: ThunderStrike

Draftin Europe

@draftin_europe
Oct 21, 2017
Would be quite surprising not to see Dahlqvist and Lindgren on the team (on top of Boumedienne), although I'd be more curious to watch Håkansson & Funck personally, so for selfish reasons I hope to be surprised and find them on the team :)

Reactions: ThunderStrike

Draftin Europe

@draftin_europe
Oct 21, 2017
Agree on Novotny, if the new coaching were to select players purely based on the games I’m pretty certain he wouldn’t make the team.

He was alright the last game when they switched lines and moved him away from Ekberg centering, which is a position I don’t anticipate Ekberg playing, he should in my opinion be a winger.
At this stage we also have Ekberg as a winger.

As for Novotny, considering what he showed in his best moments last season it would be really surprising if he is left out. I doubt a pre-season camp can overturn the work done through the previous season.

ThunderStrike

Jul 26, 2023
Hmm maybe but i dont think so. He has 2 points in his last 10 games and that is not very impressive. Ekberg would be the better choice for the U18 and Gästrin for the U17.
Ok any other thoughts on the roster? I'm surprised by the choice of Fägerholt considering his stats during the season.

erikhamren

May 7, 2021
Sweden
Ok any other thoughts on the roster? I'm surprised by the choice of Fägerholt considering his stats during the season.
Yeah me too, but his team is not good and he is saving a lot. Im happy with the roster but i would rather have Ekberg and Ihs Wozniak with the U18 team. U17 would do well even without them 2 and Frondell when Klingsell, Stenberg, Nilson and Björck are there.

I hope Ekberg and Ihs Wozniak will play in the U18 WJC.

Sliptip

Sep 8, 2022
I guess we could always argue about how many underagers we should put into our national team, but Gästrin and Härenstam seems like bad choices to me if you are going to pick additional players. Härenstam because he has barely played this season, and while I fully admit I have watched less games this season, and both of these guys have "pedigree" in terms of being better players earlier(which shouldn't mean anything now anyways). But I can't say that Gästrin has even been significantly better than Nilsson or Hillström in the games I've seen this season. Frondell has to rip the j20 apart to get a shot at the u18 team, but Gästrin is middle of the pack amongst the nationals in his own age group and gets in? Especially considering that I dont' even think he has taken particularly big steps as a player anyways. Maybe he has been fantastic post new year and I just haven't seen those games, but seems like the classic "national staff falls in love with a center and plays him any chance they get", a la Forsfjäll or Wille Johansson.

Will be interesting to see how Frondell and Annborn continues to do, and I do think the u17 team looks really fun overall. Probably a lower end player in this team, but cool that Vass gets a shot as well.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
I see no issue with selecting Love, he's the next big thing in net.

As for Gästrin, yeah, Ihs Wozniak & Ekberg should've been picked ahead of him. Ihs Wozniak is even turning into a center now, and is a bigger boi.

Reactions: fan1977

fan1977

Jul 18, 2022
Gästrin has 12p from 30 games and -3. 1p from 6 games in the lower quality j20 series after Christmas. Been good in u17 matches I think but hard to understand why he will be playing in the u18 team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad