Line Combos: 2023/2024 Line Combinations

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
October to January needs to be about seeing what we have in Broberg, Holloway and Lavoie/XB. Give them some rope and allow them to make, and rebound from mistakes. We can not go in to spring not trusting these guys. If they aren't ready to be impact players, we need to move on from them.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
It would be fun to fun the first ten games with a roster like this:

Hyman-McDavid-Brown
Kane-Draisaitl-Bourgault
Holloway-RNH-Janmark
Foegele-McLeod-Lavoie
Ryan

I like that a lot more than I thought I would.

I like top 2 lines.
But maybe a Janmark Nuge Lavoie line would be more interresting as two hardworkers and a shooter.

Leaving Fog McLeod Ryan.
Holloway benched

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
It would be fun to fun the first ten games with a roster like this:

Hyman-McDavid-Brown
Kane-Draisaitl-Bourgault
Holloway-RNH-Janmark
Foegele-McLeod-Lavoie
Ryan

I like that a lot more than I thought I would.
If those 3 rookies are all up front which of them is pking? At least one of them has to be leaned on pretty heavily if you’re scratching Ryan. Ryan is also a big face off guy so you’re removing that element. Also Foegele Nuge Ryan was a red hot line before being split due to an injury if you are going the Nuge at center route.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
October to January needs to be about seeing what we have in Broberg, Holloway and Lavoie/XB. Give them some rope and allow them to make, and rebound from mistakes. We can not go in to spring not trusting these guys. If they aren't ready to be impact players, we need to move on from them.
My guess is Hollow makes it out of camp and is in and out of the lineup the first 4 months.
Broberg makes it as the 7th...but is eventual trade bait. Packaged up.
Lavoie is still deficient defensively and management and coaching are well aware. He spends most of the next year in the A. Hopefully there is a major commitment from him. It will hurt his offense but hopefully he slowly builds this back.
XB is an interesting case...working hard to build himself a level of defensive awareness--the jury is out as where he is---well know by the end of training camp. Most likely he goes back to the A and he sees a serious cup of coffee after Xmas. His kind of game sure would help by the end of the year as he can make amazing short passes in the Ozone especially from down low.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
So i have an early lineup scribbled down looks like first part of June.
Given who are GM is....it was unrealistic but was fun.

Comtois/Kane -- McD -- Hyman
Kane -- Draisaitl -- Brown
RNH -- Cates -- Foegele
Holloway/Comtois -- Grant -- Ryan/Lorentz

Nurse -- Ceci
Ekholm -- Bouchard
Kulak -- Seeler/ Desi

Hart
Skinner

Of course given Kenny's trading limitations this was just pure fantasy.
The river has moved and this is no longer possible even if we had a Gillman and/or a Tulsky for a GM.
And this precep was based on the idea that Woodcroft would add some flexibility hopefully he learned in the Vegas series.
You might notice the absence of Campbell, Broberg, McLeod and Lavoie.

The rebuilt third line was important here. They can all get the puck, can handle it well and are good defensively and have enough wheels on offense to make themselves a threat against other top lines.

The goaltending would be at least league average and there would have been good aggressiveness to the lineup.

The Grant idea was taken from BBO.

Last edited:

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Bouncing back to this thread as we start heading into camp, one idea I'm hoping Woody tries is RNH and Brown as a checking line.

He's done this before with RNH and Hyman, but that combo always meant that he needed to run McDrai together as the team didn't have the winger depth to have them separate. Now with Brown, you can make sure McDavid and Draisaitl always have at least one quality winger in Kane and Hyman: McDavid-Kane, Draisiatl-Hyman, RNH-Brown.

Plus with those 3 combos, the remaining top 9 options click in fairly well: Janmark with RNH and Brown, McLeod with Drai and Hyman, and Foegele with McDavid and Kane. It also gives you 3 clear spots that Lavoie and Holloway can make the seat warm for.

Foegele-McDavid-Kane
McLeod-Draisaitl-Hyman
Janmark-RNH-Brown
Holloway-Ryan-Lavoie

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Bouncing back to this thread as we start heading into camp, one idea I'm hoping Woody tries is RNH and Brown as a checking line.

He's done this before with RNH and Hyman, but that combo always meant that he needed to run McDrai together as the team didn't have the winger depth to have them separate. Now with Brown, you can make sure McDavid and Draisaitl always have at least one quality winger in Kane and Hyman: McDavid-Kane, Draisiatl-Hyman, RNH-Brown.

Plus with those 3 combos, the remaining top 9 options click in fairly well: Janmark with RNH and Brown, McLeod with Drai and Hyman, and Foegele with McDavid and Kane. It also gives you 3 clear spots that Lavoie and Holloway can make the seat warm for.

Foegele-McDavid-Kane
McLeod-Draisaitl-Hyman
Janmark-RNH-Brown
Holloway-Ryan-Lavoie
If Holloway can snag a top 9 spot securely out of camp it'll be big for the team. I don't think RNH comes out of the top 6 but it looks good.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

Foegele-McDavid-Kane
McLeod-Draisaitl-Hyman
Janmark-RNH-Brown
Holloway-Ryan-Lavoie
I’d like to see some younger guys get a look in the top 6 to start the year.

Holloway - McDavid - Kane
RNH - Draisaitl - Lavoie/Bourgault
Hyman - McLeod - Brown
Foegele - Ryan - Janmark

Mcdavid and Draisaitl each get a really good winger and a rookie with some pro hockey experience under their belts. Hyman and Brown have both shown an ability to provide depth scoring on non traditional scoring lines but that line would be a nightmare on the forecheck and could be a pretty good shutdown line as well, allowing us to match them against other teams top 6 and freeing up one of our top 6 lines for easier matchups.

Guys like RNH, Hyman will play quite a bit on special teams, Brown is coming off missing an entire year. I think there’s a good situation in the first half of the year to give young guys opportunities as well as a guy like Foegele and at the same time not overwork guys in the first half of the season so they don’t gas out during the stretch drive.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
RNH - McDavid - Brown
Kane - Draisaitl - Hyman
Foegele - McLeod - Ryan
Janmark - Holloway - *(7/11)

Ekholm - Bouchard
Nurse - Ceci
Kulak - Broberg
Desharnais (11/7)

Skinner
Campbell

Reactions: GreeningOil

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
RNH - McDavid - Brown
Kane - Draisaitl - Hyman
Janmark - McLeod - Holloway
Foegele - Sutter - Ryan

Ekholm - Bouchard
Nurse - Ceci
Kulak - Broberg
Desharnais

Skinner
Campbell

Reactions: nafrelio

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Questions on Pederson:
Can we play wing ?

Why do most of you not see him make the team?

Thanks!
Most probably don’t have him on the team because he’s 26 years old and never been able to stick in anyone’s lineup? Not even on bad teams.

I doubt many of us have even really seen him play before. At least to a degree where he’s ever been noticed.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Questions on Pederson:
Can we play wing ?

Why do most of you not see him make the team?

Thanks!
Because he is up against Sutter, Gagner, Erne, Holloway and maybe Lavoie/Bourgault for the #11/#12/#13 spots. Holloway should get #11 so it's down to 2 out of 5 for #12/13

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
We didn't go get connor brown and pay what we did to stick him on the 3rd line.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Desharnais a solid defensive dman bottom 6 guy? How likely he makes the team?

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Desharnais a solid defensive dman bottom 6 guy? How likely he makes the team?

7th D at worst, most likely splitting time as the #6, or playing nightly as #7 if we roll 11-7. He is an albatross defensively and exceptional once the puck is in our zone. He's easily exposed in transition given foot speed and is almost zero help offensively.

Reactions: Duke74

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
I think Campbell takes starter this season. See saw effect. After having maybe the worst season of his entire life, all the crap he went through last year, the embarrassment towards both his teammates and the city, on a team that just signed him to a 25 million dollar contract, he's primed for a huge bounce back season. He showed us flashes of his capabilities in the playoffs, and thats coming in cold every time too.

Skinner is the future, but he's still a young man with hard lessons to be learned. Jack has been through the gauntlet. Its his time. Its Soup season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad