Foegele-Ryan-Janmark

(Lavoie, Caggiula, Pederson, Hamblin)

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Ceci
Kulak-Broberg

(Desharnais, Niemelainen)

Skinner
Campbell

So the team is worse than last year. What can even be done at the deadline to fix this mess?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Kane-McDavid-Brown
RNH-Drai-Hyman
Foegele McLeod Janmark
Ryan Holloway/Pederson Lavoie

Nurse-Ceci
Ekholm-Bouchard
Kulak-Desharnais
Broberg

I wonder if the team is anticipating McLeod and Bouchard not signing this summer and those negotiations dragging on.

Holland MUST get those deals right. They need to be reasonable, and they need to be 2 years or longer.

So, we could easily see Holloway and Broberg seeing bigger roles earlier, or RNH taking 3C, possibly putting Holloway as 2LW

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Kane-McDavid-Brown
RNH-Draisaitl-Hyman
Holloway-Mcleod-Bourgault
Foegele-Ryan-Janmark

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Ceci
Kulak-Broberg

Skinner
Campbell

So the team is worse than last year. What can even be done at the deadline to fix this mess?

Dont count on rookies to perform elite. Borgenault is probably not ready - but will be a better end product. Ill hope Holland isnt finnish. But I suspect he is. And its getting real hard to cut salary. If a solution is to let Fogele go, thats not great. Seems he is one of those who can high his voice in the room.
And what di they really save if 2,7M is gone.

Last edited:

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
The Oilers are essentially bringing back the same roster that went 18-2-1 down the stretch

Most teams aren’t as good on paper as they were in the previous playoffs since they were propped up by TDL rentals but the Oilers weren’t one of those teams

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Kane-McDavid-Brown
RNH-Draisaitl-Hyman
Foegele-Ryan-Janmark

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Ceci
Kulak-Broberg

Skinner
Campbell

How in the fuk is it worse then last year? U gotta get back on your meds man. Charlie Brown, Mr Snuffleupagus , and Oscar the Grouch combined are more optimistic that DULL DOWNER

Kane - McDavid - Puljujarvi
Holloway - Draisaitl - Hyman
McLeod - Nugent-Hopkins - Foegele
Malone - Shore - Ryan

Nurse - Ceci
Kulak - Barrie
Murray - Bouchard

This roster is definitely worse.
Not according to DUUL DOWNER

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I think we need to see who the final forward the Oilers bring in is to determine if the team is better or worse than it was to end the season.

Right now the top 6 is probably a bit better with Brown in over Yamamoto but the bottom 6 is worse with Kostin and Bjugstad out.

Bottom 6 players are usually pretty easy to add at the deadline or even via waivers through the season though. I don’t think it’s that big of a deal if the forward group is mildly weaker to start the season.

The fact that there haven’t been any changes to the backend or in net is where my concerns are. Two weakest areas and the team is the same. Doesn’t make sense to me.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I think we need to see who the final forward the Oilers bring in is to determine if the team is better or worse than it was to end the season.

Right now the top 6 is probably a bit better with Brown in over Yamamoto but the bottom 6 is worse with Kostin and Bjugstad out.

Bottom 6 players are usually pretty easy to add at the deadline or even via waivers through the season so I don’t think it’s that big of a deal if the forward group is mildly weaker to start the season.

The fact that there haven’t been any changes to the backend or in net is where my concerns are. Two weakest areas and the team is the same. Doesn’t make sense to me.
Compared to the end of last season, sure, but it's a huge thing that we are starting the year with Ekholm.

I really hope that the team isn't fighting for its playoff lives until the end. It might be key to our team to be a firm playoff team. It would be a big deal to take that top spot as well so we can let Vegas and LA duke it out in the middle spots in the division. Imo getting that top Pacific spot is extremely important.

Having said that, the big picture of the team is that these young players are really important. Guys like Holloway, Desharnais, Lavoie, Bourgault, Broberg, and I'm sure there will be a some interesting names coming out of nowhere and being important. One benefit of the strategy of leaving things at first and patching up at the deadline is that we can give a lot of extra minutes to these young guys, and that can pay off big time.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Compared to the end of last season, sure, but it's a huge thing that we are starting the year with Ekholm.

I really hope that the team isn't fighting for its playoff lives until the end. It might be key to our team to be a firm playoff team. It would be a big deal to take that top spot as well so we can let Vegas and LA duke it out in the middle spots in the division. Imo getting that top Pacific spot is extremely important.

Having said that, the big picture of the team is that these young players are really important. Guys like Holloway, Desharnais, Lavoie, Bourgault, Broberg, and I'm sure there will be a some interesting names coming out of nowhere and being important. One benefit of the strategy of leaving things at first and patching up at the deadline is that we can give a lot of extra minutes to these young guys, and that can pay off big time.

At least one of the youngsters will take a good step up, right?

My bet is best placed at Holloway being a good 3rd liner.
I would though lovw to see Borhenault and Lavoie find it in NHL. Lavoie has the hardest task, labeled as a goalscorer. Peodyce goals is so hard at NHL level. You need playing sense, hands and playmaking abillity(to read of passes great). Being just a shooter doesnt take you far.

Reactions: Mr Positive

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Regular season wise (team being healthy) I think they can finish 1 or 2 in the Conference.

Regular season is not so much the issue.

It's all about the playoffs and in the playoffs a team like Vegas or Colorado can beat us by taking advantage of weaknesses, kind of like a video game boss that is overpowered but when you spot its weak points you can exploit them to win.

We can't have Cody Ceci in the top 4, and either Skinner/Campbell need to show much bigger things (and still is even a risk) or one of the two needs to be upgraded before the playoffs.

Now fortunately there's obviously time between now and the start of the post-season, but I'm more focused on that.

If the goals against are inflating again through 20-25 games ... fire Woodcroft. He'll have had more than enough time to institute a defensive system, if it's still being picked apart or not showing improvement, he needs to go.

Reactions: barry halls

duul

Jun 21, 2010

Bottom 6 players are usually pretty easy to add at the deadline or even via waivers through the season though. I don’t think it’s that big of a deal if the forward group is mildly weaker to start the season.

We don't have room to add anybody at the deadline unless we move on from Foegele. It's unreleastic that Nurse/Campbell types will be moved. So how can we add anyone noteworthy unless it's some insane blockbuster with us moving salary and 1sts out.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
We don't have room to add anybody at the deadline unless we move on from Foegele. It's unreleastic that Nurse/Campbell types will be moved. So how can we add anyone noteworthy unless it's some insane blockbuster with us moving salary and 1sts out.

Ceci needs to go. If you need to move Campbell at that point, then you look into that too.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
There’s always room to add bottom 6 players.

Defense and goaltending will require “insane blockbuster” where salary and picks go out.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
There’s always room to add bottom 6 players.

Defense and goaltending will require “insane blockbuster” where salary and picks go out.

1st + Ceci going out should be able to bring back a big ticket D at least (@50% retained, the incoming player could be a $6.5 million D).

Broberg + Campbell + EDM 1st or 2nd could also facilitate another goaltending move.

Reactions: McDoused

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Kane-McDavid-Brown
RNH-Draisaitl-Hyman
Foegele-Ryan-Janmark

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Ceci
Kulak-Broberg

Skinner
Campbell

I expect they will sign another cheap vet. They will have some PTO contracts too, if the past few seasons are any indications. Bourgault and Lavoie will have to make the team.

Will be somthing like

HYman-McDavid-Brown
Kane-Draisaitl-RNH
Foegele-McLeod-Janmark
Holloway-Ryan-X

That's an ok team.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
A line combination thread a full 3+ months before the opening season roster is even set on a team whose coach changes lines and formations more often than the wind blows and to somehow "prove" the current roster is worse than the comparable season ending roster, which was supplemented by a trade deadline which for this years group is still 9 (nine) months away.

Brilliance in action by one of HF Oils more prolific doom posters.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Kane-McDavid-Brown
RNH-Draisaitl-Hyman
Foegele-Ryan-Janmark

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Ceci
Kulak-Broberg

Skinner
Campbell

Pretty good except zero chance we see 2 rookies and McLeod as the 3rd line. Not sure we will all Holloway, Broberg and Bourgault make the team full time at once.

Kane - McDavid - Brown
RNH - Draisaitl - Hyman
Foegele - McLeod - Janmark
Holloway - ??? - Ryan

If Bourgault forces himself onto the team I could see him with Hyman and Draisaitl and RNH on the 3C and McLeod 4C. That center depth would be hard to match up against

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

Janmark was hurt for much of the time that Bjugstad was an Oiler. I think they are a wash. As much as I like Kostin the Kostin vs Holloway trade off should not be big negative in term of results on the ice as compared with last year since Kostin just did not play that much. If McLeod continues to improve there is a decent chance that even with this group that the bottom 6 is better. Part of this is that I think it is a more flexible group than last year as Brown can play in the top 6 or on the third.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Janmark was hurt for much of the time that Bjugstad was an Oiler. I think they are a wash. As much as I like Kostin the Kostin vs Holloway trade off should not be big negative in term of results on the ice as compared with last year since Kostin just did not play that much. If McLeod continues to improve there is a decent chance that even with this group that the bottom 6 is better. Part of this is that I think it is a more flexible group than last year as Brown can play in the top 6 or on the third.
All of this is fair. Don’t disagree with any of it in theory. I think the forward group will be fine.

Reactions: McDoused

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Pretty good except zero chance we see 2 rookies and McLeod as the 3rd line. Not sure we will all Holloway, Broberg and Bourgault make the team full time at once.

Kane - McDavid - Brown
RNH - Draisaitl - Hyman
Holloway - ??? - Ryan
Bourgault sounds like a top 6 or bust. Holloway may finally become a full time player. He showed some flashes last year, but was raw otherwise.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
The top two lines will be better, Kane will be healthier, Brown is going to be a LOT better than yamo.

Lines 3 and 4 are a worry, we need one of the young players like Holloway to step up and play well all year.

I am not as terrified about the blue line as most people are.

We can be a bit worse up front come next playoff time but if we just get competent goaltending we win the cup.

We will also make a move at the deadline for sure imo.

ehhteen

5-14-6-1
Jan 15, 2010
Connor's Place
Kane - McDavid - Draisaitl
Hyman - RNH - Brown
Holloway - McLeod - Foegele
Caggiula - Ryan - Janmark

Nurse - Bouchard
Ekholm - Broberg
Kulak - Ceci

Campbell
Skinner

Once we get the lead, split McDrai…

I feel like a Hyman-RNH-Brown line could matchup against any line on home ice, freeing up McDraiKane against lesser competition

Reactions: FromChaos22

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3

Kane - McDavid - Brown
RNH - Draisaitl - Hyman
Holloway - ??? - Ryan

If Bourgault forces himself onto the team I could see him with Hyman and Draisaitl and RNH on the 3C and McLeod 4C. That center depth would be hard to match up against

It would be fun to fun the first ten games with a roster like this:

Hyman-McDavid-Brown
Kane-Draisaitl-Bourgault
Holloway-RNH-Janmark
Foegele-McLeod-Lavoie
Ryan

I like that a lot more than I thought I would.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
How is this a 'mess' ?

We still have arguably the best top six forward group in the league, especially now that Brown has replaced Yamamoto, plus a blue-line that is slowly improving with the addition of Ekholm and hopefully Broberg taking the next step this season as he matures.

Our goal-tending is definitely a wild-card but goalies nowadays are fickle anyways.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad