Speculation: 2023-2024 Kraken Roster Discussion

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Who else could be gone in the next week. Eberle and Schultz?

If they're willing to move Wennberg then Schultz should be on the move as well.
Especially with Evans already on the team and having burned his first ELC year already this season.

Tatar could be moved as well but probably not for more than what the team paid for him.

The talk about Eberle was that the team was trying to re-sign him and he wanted to stay.
Tough, if you can't re-sign him until Friday it might be best to move him as well.

Reactions: Irie

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
Might just be me but i really dont get the appeal towards keeping Ebs. Maybe extend him till some of the younger kids in the farm system are available?

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

I hope we don't keep Eberle just to lose him for nothing during the offseason.

Also interesting that Tanev might be available.
I don't fully get the Doumoulin thing.
Is he unhappy and wants to get moved?
I didn't like the signing but must admit that he's been pretty solid since about 20 games into the season.

Though, I think them just mentioning top 4 defenders means 'Schulz might be gone too.

BTW: Pangotta also mentiones the Bruins for Wennberg.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
Might just be me but i really dont get the appeal towards keeping Ebs. Maybe extend him till some of the younger kids in the farm system are available?
I get the impression they see him as a locker room leader. They made a big deal about him mentoring Beniers and Wright in preseason

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

If it's a steep cut in his cap hit I'm fine with it. He can still play a depth scorer role.

I don't fully get the Doumoulin thing.
Is he unhappy and wants to get moved?
I didn't like the signing but must admit that he's been pretty solid since about 20 games into the season.

I'm not sure what it means either.

He had a rough start in Seattle. But why is that being brought up now?

Funny enough, I heard from Pens fans consistently through last year that Dumoulin was washed and terrible, and he started that way in Seattle and then lately has seemed to be playing his best hockey in years. So I'm not sure what the fuss is about, maybe just Friedman recycling old notes.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
If it's a steep cut in his cap hit I'm fine with it. He can still play a depth scorer role.
This is a fair point. If its a pay cut to where when the times right he could move down the lineup and not have it considered "overpaying" for his role on the team id be fine with that.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Funny enough, I heard from Pens fans consistently through last year that Dumoulin was washed and terrible, and he started that way in Seattle and then lately has seemed to be playing his best hockey in years. So I'm not sure what the fuss is about, maybe just Friedman recycling old notes.

Yeah, Doumoulin has been solid lately and I've read that the Doumoulin/Schultz pairing is actually one of the better ones in the whole league.

Of course, they do profit from playing on the 3rd pair and having easier matchups.

BTW: Lebrun has mentioned that the Kraken talked to Wennbergs camp about an extension but now have decided to trade him.

Reactions: majormajor

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
I keep hearing good things about a lot of our prospects. If our draft picks keep progressing, how many years away are we from a core of them being able to go long play off runs. 3-4 years?

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I keep hearing good things about a lot of our prospects. If our draft picks keep progressing, how many years away are we from a core of them being able to go long play off runs. 3-4 years?

I'm not sure we have enough high end prospects to really build a core just off of them.
Especially with Wright not looking like a sure fire top six center.

Though, we also have McCann, Dunn and Bjorkstrand who could help a retool being not as tough to watch as the ones teams like Chicago are currently doing.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

If you're just trying to grow solely through prospects, more like 5-10 years.

Successful rebuilds usually involve getting high end players through several channels. Draft, trade, UFA.

Recently the clubs with the best under 24 talent have all continued to be terrible.*

So there isn't really a timetable we can use, Francis has to find great players in a variety of ways and it could go badly.

* - I just quickly went through the best top 10 picks of the last 7 years, and you have to go all the way back to at least Quinn Hughes in 2018 before you get to a year where most of those drafting clubs are now better than where the Kraken are currently. That or 2017, as Tkachuk and Dahlin haven't lifted those clubs out of the basement. Ottawa and Buffalo have gobbled up really good talents and haven't turned the corner yet. Same with Anaheim and Columbus. These are largely my favorite clubs, so seeing that problem unfold over the years, I'm hoping the Kraken don't follow that course.

Last edited:

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I am glad about this to be honest. Wennberg with 50% retention could return something real nice. Also, I think we re-sign Eberle unless he does not want to be here. In which case, I expect they trade him. I don't see us moving anyone else other than Schultz.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I think it is because of the same reason(s) as @Scomerica. i.e leadership in the locker room. I did not think much of Eberle when we acquired him in the expansion draft but he has been much more effective on both sides of the ice. I always thought of him as more of a 1 dimensional forward but he works hard and has led by example.

I would prefer if we could move him. But I don't have an issue if we got him back on a short term contract making less AAV than what he gets now.

I think its more about if the prospects hit their ceiling or not. Other than Wright there quite a few that have the potential to do well: Rehkopf, Nyman, Molgaard, Firkus, Goyette have a chance of cracking the roster over the next 2-3 seasons.

I am not sure about the D. We do have Nelson, Dragicevic and Price but no guarantee that their skill translates to the NHL. We got really lucky that Dunn turned into who we wanted him to be and more. I would have been happy with him playing as a 2nd pairing D-man but he is a legitimate #1D now.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Soi far the Rangers seem to be the team for Wennberg.

Speculation it might be a 2nd and a prospect.
Rangers supposedly are looking for double retention and a 3rd team.

Last edited:

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Given the chance, I would prefer that we go with prospects over picks. Example: If we retain 50% on Wennberg, add Toronto's 2nd and/or a B prospect to get a nice prospect back. We need a quicker turnaround time than what a newly drafted prospect would have.

Or just use our picks in the off-season to land someone in a trade.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Given the chance, I would prefer that we go with prospects over picks. Example: If we retain 50% on Wennberg, add Toronto's 2nd and/or a B prospect to get a nice prospect back. We need a quicker turnaround time than what a newly drafted prospect would have.

Or just use our picks in the off-season to land someone in a trade.

We have Toronto's 3rd round pick.

I also don't think the other team would want to give up a top prospect for a guy like Wennberg but rather some draft picks.

Also, you can use those picks as trade chips to either trade up in the draft or trade for another player/young player.

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004

I also don't think the other team would want to give up a top prospect for a guy like Wennberg but rather some draft picks.

Also, you can use those picks as trade chips to either trade up in the draft or trade for another player/young player.
This is true, although thus far GMRF has been more inclined to actually draft those picks instead of turn around and trade them. Unless I'm mistaken, Rehkopf, Nyman and Kokko were some of the players he used acquired 2nd round picks on?

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

That's right. We had their 2nd rounder this season and have their 3rd in the upcoming draft. Common sense would agree with what you are saying about Wennberg not returning a good prospect but a lot of GM's throw it out of the window during the TDL.

I am definitely glad we are sellers not buyers at this TDL. And while the draft is my favorite time of the season, I would rather get players/prospects who are ready to contribute soon than draft someone and wait atleast another 3+ years till they can help.

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
If they are "sellers" at the deadline but hang on (or even re-sign) Eberle for seeming sentimental reasons, I'll be a bit disappointed. He probably carries the most value in draft/prospect capital, which is something the team sorely needs in it's current position. Of course it's possible he's expressed an unwillingness to waive his M-NTC to GMRF, in which case I guess all you can do is shrug your shoulders.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
If they are "sellers" at the deadline but hang on (or even re-sign) Eberle for seeming sentimental reasons, I'll be a bit disappointed. He probably carries the most value in draft/prospect capital, which is something the team sorely needs in it's current position. Of course it's possible he's expressed an unwillingness to waive his M-NTC to GMRF, in which case I guess all you can do is shrug your shoulders.
I prefer to move Eberle as well but won't be disappointed if they re-sign him for 2-3 years on a smaller cap hit. He has been a good mentor to the younger players and played a good game on both sides of the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad