Speculation: 2023-2024 Kraken Roster Discussion

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
Re: Domi, as being one of the few young forwards available. Remember that Domi was exposed in teh expansion darft and we could have had him for free. GMRF chose another guy who was a UFA that they didn't sign so Seattle got nobody from Columbus rather than taking Domi for free.

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Wonder how much faith the FO has in Driedger returning, or if they attempt to re-sign Jones. As unimpressive as he was, the rest of the UFA goalie market looks about the same caliber.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
Wonder how much faith the FO has in Driedger returning, or if they attempt to re-sign Jones. As unimpressive as he was, the rest of the UFA goalie market looks about the same caliber.
I'm guessing not too high. Didn't they just signed a few GT prospects for this coming season from abroad?

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
I'm guessing not too high. Didn't they just signed a few GT prospects for this coming season from abroad?
Kokko was a 2-way iirc and the other was an ELC I believe? Daccord’s contract is done after this year unless I’m mistaken, so my impression was those two deals were to plus up CV?

wewantyoursoul

Oct 14, 2021
Happy Valley, OR
1684337236328.png

1684337280947.png

1684337363086.png

Reactions: seakraken

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Congrats from up the coast on your first playoff run!
Looking at your cap situation, $20 million looks good but some key guys (Dunn, Soucy, Borgen) are now due up, and then Beniers is up after next year. What's your teams positions of need that you'd look to shore up this offseason (if any)?

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Congrats from up the coast on your first playoff run!
Looking at your cap situation, $20 million looks good but some key guys (Dunn, Soucy, Borgen) are now due up, and then Beniers is up after next year. What's your teams positions of need that you'd look to shore up this offseason (if any)?
I expect Borgen gets 2.5-3M AAV. Dunn should get around (and hopefully under) 7.5M AAV. Soucy is unlikely to be re-signed. When Beniers next contract is up, we are having Driedger, Eberle, Schultz and Wennberg off the books. Fairly comfortable from a cap POV for now.

That said, I am not sure we make any big moves this off-season. Ryker Evans is going to get a real shot to start at the backend. Megna is re-signed through next year and is likely to start there unless Evans outplays him.

From a need perspective, we need better fit at top-4 D than Oleksiak. It's not that he is bad, he just doesn't fit the high energy/tempo style we play. A vet C who is good at faceoffs would be helpful as well but I am not sure how high of a priority that is going to be.

finnishflash13

Oct 28, 2020
I see Dunn getting around 8/8. He will try to get as close to his market value as possible. He isn't the type to take pay-cut deals (based on his history of contract negotiations with the Blues and even one and only contract with the Kraken.)

He had a career year and this might be his best chance to get his best NHL contract.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Re: Domi, as being one of the few young forwards available. Remember that Domi was exposed in teh expansion darft and we could have had him for free. GMRF chose another guy who was a UFA that they didn't sign so Seattle got nobody from Columbus rather than taking Domi for free.
I like Domi but he's a Centre and who does he replace...Beniers,Wennberg,Gourde...none of the above

I see Dunn getting around 8/8. He will try to get as close to his market value as possible. He isn't the type to take pay-cut deals (based on his history of contract negotiations with the Blues and even one and only contract with the Kraken.)

He had a career year and this might be his best chance to get his best NHL contract.
Dunn getting a 8 and 8 would break the bank...instead I see a 6.5 in 6 no more

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

Maybe. But we have some amount of leverage here. He is an RFA and I think this will be a good faith negotiation. Dunn is guaranteed to get top minutes here and play with Larsson. That plus having no state income tax definitely helps the process.

As much as I like Dunn, I don't think he is the type of player that Francis should bend over backwards for. I would be ok with moving him even though I know it means we take a step backwards. Dunn is a solid option for the top-pairing but I don't think he is a true #1 or will ever be a superstar.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I like Domi but he's a Centre and who does he replace...Beniers,Wennberg,Gourde...none of the above

Dunn getting a 8 and 8 would break the bank...instead I see a 6.5 in 6 no more
Unfortunately, we have crossed the 6.5M AAV bridge. 60+ point 2-way D-men are likely to easily make over that. I cannot see him settling for less than 7M x 7 and if he does, Francis is a wizard.

Reactions: Kraken Jokes

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
I wonder what will happen with Dunn,Soucy,Sprong and Borgen...6.5 M for Dunn,3.5 M for Soucy,2.0 M for Borgen...not sure what will happen to Sprong who could score 30-35 goals next year with the right linemates and more time on the PP. Have noticed that GMFrancis signed Ales Stezka on a 1 year deal and he'll compete for the backup goaltender position I imagine. I see the Kraken trading Driedger and maybe not resigning Jones with Daccord coming in on the cheap. Kartye will be a regular and Lind has shown he should be given a shot after a 30 goal season in Coachella...And then there's SWright?Hope he's ready for full time duty

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Unfortunately, we have crossed the 6.5M AAV bridge. 60+ point 2-way D-men are likely to easily make over that. I cannot see him settling for less than 7M x 7 and if he does, Francis is a wizard.
I'd give him wizard status if he got him for 7x7, honestly. I might have said it in the other thread, but comparables like Sergachev are a good bit higher.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
If the Kraken decided not to pay that and look elsewhere or develop a prospect, what would they likely get back in a trade scenario for him?

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
I see the Kraken trading Driedger and maybe not resigning Jones with Daccord coming in on the cheap.
Driedger has a M-NTC and his value is as low as it's probably ever been; at the same time, Daccord hits UFA after the season and might decide he has more promising opportunities elsewhere?

DeadGhost

Ugistered Reger
Feb 15, 2010
Really good point. Hope they stay far away from Domi.

Bad penalties. Zero physicality. Terrible defensively.

Reactions: GrungeHockey

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
I'm not really concerned if Soucy walks. I'm offering Borgen 3rd pairing money .
Free agency on D I don't think Orlov would be interested but I'd call his agent. Might be more value in making an offer to Conor Clifton. Small, but physical and very underpaid at the moment.

Before talking about forwards in free agency, I'd probably call around and see which teams want to move players for cap reasons. Maybe Boston is willing to part with Taylor Hall for example. I am sure there will be some good players on the block.

In free agency I'd take a hard look at Tyler Bertuzzi.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
Interesting hearing some of the exit interviews. Beniers wants to bulk up more over the offseason (I hope Wright does the same), Dunn said he wants to stay in Seattle for many years, Schultz said Seattle is an attractive place for players to come especially when winning, Sprong said he felt like he proved 31 teams wrong but isn't sure what his future will be. Gourde and Eberle basically said it felt like the start of building something/establishing the team, unfinished business, deeper run next time etc.

Reactions: wewantyoursoul

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
Without sounding ghoulish or like a vulture, if the Coyotes rumors are true about Clayton Keller and others refusing to play there next season/demanding trades if the league doesn't sort it out. Is there anyone worth grabbing that's good value as an RFA, UFA or we could get cheap in a trade?

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Driedger has a M-NTC and his value is as low as it's probably ever been; at the same time, Daccord hits UFA after the season and might decide he has more promising opportunities elsewhere?
Thanks for the take on Driedger and Daccord I didn't know that about them! You're right Driedger's value is probably really low and Daccord may hit the road

Reactions: Fuhrious

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Without sounding ghoulish or like a vulture, if the Coyotes rumors are true about Clayton Keller and others refusing to play there next season/demanding trades if the league doesn't sort it out. Is there anyone worth grabbing that's good value as an RFA, UFA or we could get cheap in a trade?
Keller or Crouse maybe? But I still think it costs us a fortune as those players are signed and there is no real reason for the Coyotes to want to move them.

Reactions: Irie

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

Every report says the Yotes are staying in Arizona for next season.

Like @Fistfullofbeer said Keller and Crouse would be interesting but very expensive.
I like Crouse cause he could actually play in the tougher areas and net front without being thrown around like a ragdoll.
Though, it would be expensive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad