Injury Report: 2023/2024 Injury Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Lots of Dr Recchis in this thread.

Too many Dr YouTube fellas here.

Guhle MIGHT be fragile, just like Brunet was, who knows. But the medical team knows this a GAZILLION more than I. I studied in journalism, because I was a lazy ass. I didn’t study for 100 years in medecine. I leave that to their expertise. All I know is we already have two long term injuries. All that matters to me.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Lots of Dr Recchis in this thread.

Too many Dr YouTube fellas here.

Guhle MIGHT be fragile, just like Brunet was, who knows. But the medical team knows this a GAZILLION more than I. I studied in journalism, because I was a lazy ass. I didn’t study for 100 years in medecine. I leave that to their expertise. All I know is we already have two long term injuries. All that matters to me.
Its impossible to blame the new medical staff, they just arrived. With that said, science is ever evolving, some guys just dont keep up fast enough.

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Is this particular one related to the Bell Center boards in any way? Not that I'm implying that they are non-standard. Probably not, but could we make them more forgiving to players and nudge the NHL toward innovating in this area? I believe that if the Habs led in this kind of design, that check on Dach might not have been so injurious. True, the away games would still carry the same risk, but if the team gets a measurable improvement as a result of more give in the boards, other teams will also want better health for their rosters as well, and 32 dominos topple.

After all, the construction of the boards is carried out in a manner identical to the inception of the game, back when players were smaller, lighter and slower. The modern game requires a new, proactive approach that prevents needless, stupid injuries. Unfortunately, lawyers and former players run the league, and not biomedical engineers. :skeptic:
Haven't these boards already been altered and were actually worse at one time?

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Haven't these boards already been altered and were actually worse at one time?
Nowhere near to what they could be. They could be designed with new materials to respond as stiffly to a bouncing puck but much more tolerant to a 200-lbs athlete being rammed into them by a second athlete of that weight. They can also easily be spring-loaded so that they recoil a few inches in such an event. After all, if cars can be redesigned to absorb an impact and spare lives, why can we not adopt a technically savvy approach towards the boards as well? My personal experience dates back to beer league play while at McGill in the 2000s, but it didn't seem to me that much had changed, nor can I see an obvious difference now on television. If I put together a team that redesigned them, you would see the result on television.

Reactions: Lshap

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
not to pile on the fear train with the injuries and clearly I'm no Dr. Recchi but I have to say when I saw that hit on Dach and how he would be out the season I did that beastie boys meme WTF look as in how in the actual f*** did a 22 year old pro athlete shred his knee that badly on what at least looked more or less harmless.
it's not beastie boys it's blink-182 :laugh:

tom-delonge-blink182.gif

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
Lavoie says the rumour about Guhle missing 6-8 weeks isn't true and may miss just a few games.

I mean Friedman also said Guhle would be out a while.

Last edited:

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
not to pile on the fear train with the injuries and clearly I'm no Dr. Recchi but I have to say when I saw that hit on Dach and how he would be out the season I did that beastie boys meme WTF look as in how in the actual f*** did a 22 year old pro athlete shred his knee that badly on what at least looked more or less harmless.

Just has to get caught and have pressure going in the right direction at the right force and boom.

It's similar to a football player shredding their ACL/MCL just planting their foot in the ground and trying to make a cut. Wrong angle, right amount of force and boom it tears.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
A bottom pairing D, perhaps even a #7 D playing top 4 minutes.
His advanced numbers show that he's nowhere close to a #7 D.

And if he was on a better team, his numbers would probably be close to elite for his usage.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
No he doesn’t.
Agreed he doesn't suck but like many players in Montreal over the years, he is played in the wrong chair. On a contender he isn't part of a top 6 D Corps.
In Montreal he belongs on the bottom pairing. He is a good, serviceable depth player.

• Haha
Reactions: Natey

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Nowhere near to what they could be. They could be designed with new materials to respond as stiffly to a bouncing puck but much more tolerant to a 200-lbs athlete being rammed into them by a second athlete of that weight. They can also easily be spring-loaded so that they recoil a few inches in such an event. After all, if cars can be redesigned to absorb an impact and spare lives, why can we not adopt a technically savvy approach towards the boards as well? My personal experience dates back to beer league play while at McGill in the 2000s, but it didn't seem to me that much had changed, nor can I see an obvious difference now on television. If I put together a team that redesigned them, you would see the result on television.
You're onto something. Bodies survive highway crashes thanks to advancing safety features in cars. Glass cellphone screens survive concrete sidewalks thanks to engineered cases. We can't change the nature of ice, but everything around it – the boards and players' equipment – can be calibrated to better absorb impact and maybe prevent joints from bending the wrong way.

Reactions: VirginiaMtlExpat

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
You're onto something. Bodies survive highway crashes thanks to advancing safety features in cars. Glass cellphone screens survive concrete sidewalks thanks to engineered cases. We can't change the nature of ice, but everything around it – the boards and players' equipment – can be calibrated to better absorb impact and maybe prevent joints from bending the wrong way.
If the NHL were serious about the best on-ice product, they would fund simulation studies that improve boards, equipment, and so on. With Stanford's OpenSim open-source musculoskeletal simulation and deep neural networks able to estimate human pose from video and range-sensing, as well as motion capture if we really want to get precise about tracking them, it is possible to reconstruct in 3D any hockey play and explore what-if questions about board design and competing equipment designs. But alas, the NHL is run by a lawyer and former NHL players.

Reactions: Lshap

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
If the NHL were serious about the best on-ice product, they would fund simulation studies that improve boards, equipment, and so on. With Stanford's OpenSim open-source musculoskeletal simulation and deep neural networks able to estimate human pose from video and range-sensing, as well as motion capture if we really want to get precise about tracking them, it is possible to reconstruct in 3D any hockey play and explore what-if questions about board design and competing equipment designs. But alas, the NHL is run by a lawyer and former NHL players.
Sounds like a business (not just for hockey, but all pro sports). Wanna start a company with me? Just need to find some $$$ bags to fund us ;)

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Is this particular one related to the Bell Center boards in any way? Not that I'm implying that they are non-standard. Probably not, but could we make them more forgiving to players and nudge the NHL toward innovating in this area? I believe that if the Habs led in this kind of design, that check on Dach might not have been so injurious. True, the away games would still carry the same risk, but if the team gets a measurable improvement as a result of more give in the boards, other teams will also want better health for their rosters as well, and 32 dominos topple.

After all, the construction of the boards is carried out in a manner identical to the inception of the game, back when players were smaller, lighter and slower. The modern game requires a new, proactive approach that prevents needless, stupid injuries. Unfortunately, lawyers and former players run the league, and not biomedical engineers. :skeptic:
I wish the league would go back to the boards and glass of the 70's-80's. The old buildings like Chicago stadium, the Forum, the Gardens, etc....those boards and glass would move 2 feet, cushioning the player when hit into them. Now it's like running into cement and it's ruining players and their bodies.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012

Below is the play where they believe Svechnikov tore his ACL. Sometimes it doesn’t take much.

Reactions: zx81 and Deebs

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Below is the play where they believe Svechnikov tore his ACL. Sometimes it doesn’t take much.

Knees are so fickle. No word of a lie, the 2nd last game of my hockey season last year, i hit a rut in the ice, just like Svech and tore my meniscus.

Reactions: OldCraig71
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad