Speculation: 2023-2024 General Lightning Discussion - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Some of these folks need to make a serious run to Swiss Colony or Hickory Farms to level off their nutritional demands as they need some dairy to go with their fruits.

Reactions: LTIR Trickery

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Good deadline for BriseBois. Made the team better while losing nothing of consequence. That's what any competent GM would do with a team that remains in the hunt.

Thompson couldn't separate himself from his immediate competition in this organization, it is f***ing laughable that anybody is upset with that trade. He's behind Raddysh, Perbix, Cernak, and now Dumba on RHD and didn't outperform other young d-men like Crozier or Lilleberg during the season. He might not even be ahead of Carlile on the overall D depth.

Also, the likelihood of that 3rd rounder turning into an impactful NHL player (or becoming as good as Duclair) is quite low, and years away even if you hit it...so the complaints here aren't even practical with regards to the future.

Then you get Dumba for basically nothing and actually gain a pick this year in the process. Experienced d-man who can bring some bite and knows what it's like to play hard minutes.

There is seriously no good reason to have a problem with our deadline. Added 2 legit, proven NHLers for a couple mid-tier assets at best. If you have a problem with that, there is truly something missing upstairs.

The only thing laughable is this take. How is supposed to separate himself when he gets 1 NHL game to show what he could do? He's only behind Raddysh and Perbix because they have no waiver eligibility left and he does. Cernak is the only one definitely in front of him now and going forward. Dumba is just a warm body down the stretch.

How did he not outperform Lilleberg, Crozier and Carlile? He was literally an All Star this season, at just 21, and none of them were.

We've produced plenty of 3rd round or later talent before. Point, Cirelli, Perbix and Crozier are still left. We recently traded Colton and Joseph. So to say he wasn't going to make it is weird. He was on the cusp we just have guys ahead of him that we don't want to waive or trade just yet so he had no spot this year. In the offseason I could have seen us move Perbix to give him a spot but now that's gone.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
The only thing laughable is this take. How is supposed to separate himself when he gets 1 NHL game to show what he could do? He's only behind Raddysh and Perbix because they have no waiver eligibility left and he does. Cernak is the only one definitely in front of him now and going forward. Dumba is just a warm body down the stretch.

How did he not outperform Lilleberg, Crozier and Carlile? He was literally an All Star this season, at just 21, and none of them were.

We've produced plenty of 3rd round or later talent before. Point, Cirelli, Perbix and Crozier are still left. We recently traded Colton and Joseph. So to say he wasn't going to make it is weird. He was on the cusp we just have guys ahead of him that we don't want to waive or trade just yet so he had no spot this year. In the offseason I could have seen us move Perbix to give him a spot but now that's gone.
Being picked for the AHL All-Star Game favors guys who have been playing in the AHL continuously during the first half of the season (and then, every team ideally gets represented). Injuries and call-ups can prevent better players from being named.

End of season all-star is where it's at.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Red Wings are on a 5 game losing streak. That's good news on us hopefully being able to get the first wild card spot, that way we won't get embarrassed by the kitty cats in the first round.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Red Wings are on a 5 game losing streak. That's good news on us hopefully being able to get the first wild card spot, that way we won't get embarrassed by the kitty cats in the first round.
We still have to win games, and we play three of the best teams in the league in a row.

The energy boost we got from the trades is probably over now. Now it's time to dig in. But we have a rough week ahead.

Last edited:

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Interested to see the D pairs Coop rolls with since Cernak is likely week to week
Sadly I think Cernak will keep.having these injuries. Love what he brings when he healthy but he has a serious case of the injury bug.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
he needs some milk
Sorry but I am not the one with the near constant whine about a trade could use some cheese to go with his/her comments.
But then again, even that might be too much for some to understand, given just how much immense hockey knowledge they believe they have taking up space in their mind.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
We still have to win games, and we play three of the best teams in the league in a row.

The energy boost we got from the trades is probably over now. Now it's time to dig in. But we have a rough week ahead.
Yeah, and it cant be overstated how bad the Flyers were to start that game. That wont be the case most nights.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
perbix +5 on the season btw. 20 points. analytics look fine enough. not saying it's been a great season for him but we've got way bigger problems
I've stated my issues clearly plenty of times with him: his skating sucks (Barb Underhill can't even improve it much), specifically his skating backwards/pivoting back when the rush comes the other way, and he's developed a nasty Sergachev-esque tendency to pass the puck to nowhere because he wants to get the puck off his stick when feeling any semblance of pressure. His 1v1 on puck defensive skills are fine and he breaks it out fine when he's not under any pressure.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Feels weird that it's Tuesday and no Lightning game on tonight
Yeah the two back-to-back weeks of a few days off is weird, but their still ahead of alot of teams with games played.

On the plus side it's good this late in the year to rack up some needed rest days foe the guys to keep their legs fresh in the final stretch

But on the other hand, this team is notorious for playing like ass coming off a longer break :laugh:

bov

Nov 13, 2010

This is such a joke. Thompson had been in the organization for several years, they knew damn well where he stood. If he was deemed a more impactful NHLer than any of the aforementioned players, he would have been on the ice. Lilleberg, Crozier, even Day and Myers garnered more consideration for various reasons. Carlile's cup of tea is comparable I guess. You're trying to say waiver status is the reason he didn't get a longer look? Hilarious. Part of the reason he's an AHL all star is because other players were being recalled constantly to the NHL while he stayed put in Syracuse.

Small-ish puck movers aren't all that special, I'm actually glad for him because SJ is so terrible that he might get a real opportunity.

Even still, is he on their roster? Nope.

And how about the likelihood of mid-to-late round picks becoming good NHL players? By the numbers alone, it's quite low. I'd bet 95% of 3rd rounders (or later) never achieve the level of success that Duclair has.

Absolute nothing burger for a player who had almost zero chance of becoming anything more than a glorified MAB for this team, at least in the next couple years.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
This is such a joke. Thompson had been in the organization for several years, they knew damn well where he stood. If he was deemed a more impactful NHLer than any of the aforementioned players, he would have been on the ice. Lilleberg, Crozier, even Day and Myers garnered more consideration for various reasons. Carlile's cup of tea is comparable I guess. You're trying to say waiver status is the reason he didn't get a longer look? Hilarious. Part of the reason he's an AHL all star is because other players were being recalled constantly to the NHL while he stayed put in Syracuse.

Small-ish puck movers aren't all that special, I'm actually glad for him because SJ is so terrible that he might get a real opportunity.

Even still, is he on their roster? Nope.

And how about the likelihood of mid-to-late round picks becoming good NHL players? By the numbers alone, it's quite low. I'd bet 95% of 3rd rounders (or later) never achieve the level of success that Duclair has.

Absolute nothing burger for a player who had almost zero chance of becoming anything more than a glorified MAB for this team, at least in the next couple years.

What a dumb take, he's 21 with 1.5 pro seasons under his belt the current of which he was second in team scoring. That's further ahead than any other player you mentioned.

The bootlicking is hilarious, by your logic the team did not deem Marchessault and Verhaeghe talents worth keeping either and I guess they amounted to nothing. You can like the trade without having moronic takes.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad