Speculation: 2023-2024 General Lightning Discussion - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Tampa desperately needs a top 6 winger who can actually score.

Problem is they are also missing a top 4 Dman too

With no money or assets it's just not going to happen and thats why Tampas window is closed

Reactions: Outl4w

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Tampa desperately needs a top 6 winger who can actually score.

Problem is they are also missing a top 4 Dman too

With no money or assets it's just not going to happen and thats why Tampas window is closed
Desperate is under selling it. If Kucherov isn't making the play, absolutely NOTHING is happening 90% of the time. I am so sick and damn tired of the "1 line does all the scoring" approach that Cooper is obsessed with. We once had more than 1 scoring and won 2 Cups with it

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Desperate is under selling it. If Kucherov isn't making the play, absolutely NOTHING is happening 90% of the time. I am so sick and damn tired of the "1 line does all the scoring" approach that Cooper is obsessed with. We once had more than 1 scoring and won 2 Cups with it
We're not getting the same depth we once had with this group. Unless some big trades happen, which some on here can't accept.

We have a couple years of round 1 bounces before the core ages out and we start a rebuild. That's the cycle of the game. We had our amazing run. JBB fumbled the retool. So it's gonna be a rotation of bottom 9 players for a bit.

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
Its funny reading back over old threads.

This was our last game of the season in 20-21 where we just lost to the panthers 4-0 and lost our last 3 going into the playoffs.

GDT: - 5/10/21 - 7:00PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ Florida

Obviously the current team isn't close to that one but the reactions from people make it hard to tell which team they're talking about :laugh:
My favorite part was “Russianguyovich“

• Haha
Reactions: Master P

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
It's funny on here when ppl say that Tampa has poor depth scoring and defense to support the core, then when it's suggested that Tampa makes those kind of trades for depth on the wing and on the blueline, it's, nah, "those don't move rhw needle/do anything, and this team isn't a contender/window's closed,/JBB botched a supposed re-tool" etc etc. It's great stuff on here, truly....The window isn't closed yet as long as solid additions can be made at the tdl and then in the iffseason.

Stelio Kontos

Nov 6, 2011
Highly likely this won’t be our year but I don’t think that means the window is closed and we have to rebuild.. under 30 still looks fine + free agency and Howard and Gauthier in the next couple of years

I think management and coop are too arrogant to admit that they f***ed up and will do everything to try and make a run anyway..

Hedman - 33
Kucherov - 30
Vasilevskiy - 29
Point - 27
Essyimont - 27
Raddysh - 27
Cirelli - 26
Jeannot - 26
Hagel - 25
Sergachev - 25
Perbrix -25

Reactions: Outl4w and Meuracas

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
What's crazy is that 2021 team was so much better than this version.

So, is the point that the chicken littles were wrong then and are wrong right now?

I'm a chicken little. No problem self identifying as such. But does that change the talent on this version?

Does anyone honestly think we are anywhere close to those cup teams in depth, defense and offense? Grit? Exp?

You can bring up a million threads from the past...that does not change TODAY.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
The best part is when people pretend like Vasilevski is the same as he was.

Going into the playoffs with a .925 goaltender and a .899, we had a plethora of scoring depth on last year's team and still lost in round 1:laugh:

You don't break the bank when Vasi is this questionable. They did last year and what happened?

• Love
Reactions: The Gongshow

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
The best part is when people pretend like Vasilevski is the same as he was.

Going into the playoffs with a .925 goaltender and a .899, we had a plethora of scoring depth on last year's team and still lost in round 1:laugh:

You don't break the bank when Vasi is this questionable. They did last year and what happened?
Vasy, until today, had been easily finding that form again the last dozen or so starts. His save % in those was pushing. 915 and his gaa was down to around 2.35. Yes, he struggled badly his first 15-20 games back from the injury, but between rust, perhaps coming back a little early and of course some games with let's say, a questionable defense in front of him, it wasn't that surprising. Yeah, he played poorly today, but so did 95% or more of the team. If Vasy has something similar to the form he displayed the last several weeks, they can definitely make another run at it. And since Vasy is going nowhere for at least another 4 or 5 years, and Tampa remains in their contention window, JBB will keep going for it.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
8.5MM of cap room is gonna get utilized one way or another. JBB could facilitate a deal in the west with cap space retention and flip the assets acquired for immediate help rather than dipping into a shallow pool of draft picks the Lightning currently have.

I have posted sell baby sell a few times here, but thats a mistake unless this team flops the next couple weeks. If this core is in playoff position roll the dice a see what happens. Just don’t trade the best assets remaining in draft capital or prospects to do it.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Even then, it was really one line doing all the scoring. For all we talk about the Gourde line, it didnt actually score much.

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
Even then, it was really one line doing all the scoring. For all we talk about the Gourde line, it didnt actually score much.
Gourde got so much shit on this board when he played here. He went without scoring a goal for like three months and was the hivemind whipping boy. It’s hilarious how much we’ve retconned him into the heart and soul of the winning cup teams. And I like gourde.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
It didn't have to. They wreaked havoc otherwise and made life a living hell for the other team. If they scored even once every 3rd game the Lightning were practically unstoppable. I don't understand the obsession with turning us into the Bruins. If the perfection line doesn't produce we have nothing. Its like they're convinced we can win every game 2-1. There is absolutely no contingency plan for if the other team scores twice

Every time we score more than twice I am floored.

Last edited:

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
8.5MM of cap room is gonna get utilized one way or another. JBB could facilitate a deal in the west with cap space retention and flip the assets acquired for immediate help rather than dipping into a shallow pool of draft picks the Lightning currently have.

I have posted sell baby sell a few times here, but thats a mistake unless this team flops the next couple weeks. If this core is in playoff position roll the dice a see what happens. Just don’t trade the best assets remaining in draft capital or prospects to do it.
I'm for the "take on other teams cap dumps, except even those guys are better than what we already have anyway" plan I think Rschmitz mentioned.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
It didn't have to. They wreaked havoc otherwise and made life a living hell for the other team. If they scored even once every 3rd game the Lightning were practically unstoppable. I don't understand the obsession with turning us into the Bruins. If the perfection line doesn't produce we have nothing. Its like they're convinced we can win every game 2-1. There is absolutely no contingency plan for if the other team scores twice

Every time we score more than twice I am floored.
Just saying, even in cup years, it's always one line doing the scoring.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
For comparisons sake, the last season we had Gourde we played the entire season without Kucherov

1708270076782.png

Here is our current roster/production

1708269910903.png

Two big takeaways for me looking at this.

One, that team didn't need to score as much
Second, the scoring was more evenly distributed.

Even if you ignore Kucherov this year, we go from Point at 57 points to Raddysh at 20 points after just 6 players. 37 point drop

Back then to go from Point at 48 points to McDonagh at 11 points (same 37 point drop) there were 15 other players.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
That season may have been more of the exception than the rule because of no Kucherov, but I think when people talk about our depth scoring this is what they are recalling.

ALSO, I'm going to make a prediction that we trade for some lower line help today. This is exactly the time frame that we've worked out deals in the past.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
That season may have been more of the exception than the rule because of no Kucherov, but I think when people talk about our depth scoring this is what they are recalling.

ALSO, I'm going to make a prediction that we trade for some lower line help today. This is exactly the time frame that we've worked out deals in the past.
I'm really just talking about playoff scoring in the cup years. The bulk of it always came from the PP guys.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Just saying, even in cup years, it's always one line doing the scoring.
Yeah I know, I'm not disagreeing as much as saying a line DID score sometimes and I say that's the edge for why we won those Cups. We need that again. There's enough talent to outscore our problems but not nearly enough chemistry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad