2023-2024 EPL Season

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Not disagreeing with your entire point, but part of that is some of those teams having quality players to perform well in the league last year, but not enough depth to play twice a week in Europe.

Last year we were told that the league was bad all year, including it being a down year for City, and then City ended up winning the treble.

Too bad, now you're in it
shit

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
again without wading in to bigger macro convos about league quality

City's treble winning team was probably Pep's second worst City side (after 16-17)
They had more points last year than 2016-17, 2019-20, and 2020-21 and ultimately won the treble, so idk if I agree with that. They'll end up on near-equal points this year by going on their longest unbeaten run in club history (I think it's also the longest unbeaten run of pep's career).

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Good thing we signed Ben White going into his prime vs United signing Varane past his prime, which was the point at the time and now.
You're still comparing a WC winner and multiple UCL winner to a bloke who's mostly famous for his dislike of football, his trumpish hue, his fouling of opposing goalkeepers and his fighting with his national team coach (even though nobody had any idea what was he doing there in the first place). Also White was brought in as a center back, where he's been so good that now he's playing exclusively right back.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
You're still comparing a WC winner and multiple UCL winner to a bloke who's mostly famous for his dislike of football, his trumpish hue, his fouling of opposing goalkeepers and his fighting with his national team coach (even though nobody had any idea what was he doing there in the first place).
No, actually I'm comparing Ben White to the version of Varane that United got (i.e. past his prime). Not the one that was in his prime for Real Madrid. Again, that's the whole point. United fans were bragging about getting the better player for a cheaper fee (conveniently ignoring the wages at the time), but they did not in fact get a better player over the last 3 years.

Ben White doesn't like football? He's reportedly one of the hardest workers in training, a great teammate, and a leader in the locker room. He said that he doesn't like to watch football in his spare time, and people blew that out of proportion. When you go home from your job, do you watch your job on tv or constantly think about it for fun?

He uses some self tanner. Try not to get so upset over it.

Gareth Southgate and that other coach don't like him? Ok, I wouldn't call them infallible talent evaluators or tactical masterminds. He's been the best RB in the league this year.

Also White was brought in as a center back, where he's been so good that now he's playing exclusively right back.
He was bought as a CB, but we have the top 2 CBs in the league this year. He was too good of a player to leave out of the team, so Arteta started playing him at RB, where he's been the best RB in the league this year.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
If you ignore Trent and Trippier, he was.
Trent? Lol. Liverpool fans don't even want him playing RB for their team.

Trippier? Maybe you've been watching replays of last season's games rather than this season.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I would never want an MLS style playoff format but found this interesting to go through. Who you taking in round 1?

1715733427167.png

Reactions: S E P H

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I would never want an MLS style playoff format but found this interesting to go through. Who you taking in round 1?

View attachment 870868
Best of three makes it interesting. At this point, I would go Liverpool in pens, AVFC, Newcastle, City, Spurs, Crystal Palace, Brighton, Arsenal.

Then AVFC, City, Crystal Palace again, Arsenal.

And we get to City v. Arsenal. In the three games they've played this year, Arsenal would be the winner, so have to go Arsenal.

Is anyone surprised?

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto

View attachment 870868
Forest 2-1 Luton
Bournemouth 2-0 Brentford

Liverpool 2-0 Everton
Wolves 0-2 Villa
Newcastle 2-1 Man U
city 2-0 forest

Spurs 2-1 Fulham
Chelsea 2-0 Palace
Brighton 2-1 Hammers
Arsenal 2-0 Bournemouth

Liverpool 2-1 Villa
City 2-1 Newcastle

Chelsea 2-0 Spurs
Arsenal 2-0 Brighton

City 2-1 Liverpool
Arsenal 2-0 Chelsea

City 2-1 Arsenal

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
thinking about the alternate universe where Villa's goal line technology isn't accidentally turned off on 17 June 2020 and it's instead Bournemouth who are celebrating UCL qualification today.
This alternate universe where Aston Villa gets relegated would 100% mean that everything else stays the same but Arsenal don't lose 2 games to Aston Villa this year and we celebrated winning the league at a leaking Old Trafford, right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad