2023-2024 EPL Season

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Tonali obviously has a major betting problem. If he's got any money left I hope he gets help, we're missing out on a great player because of all this BS

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
It is super hypocritical, but I get it, betting on your own sport gets into a dicey territory of players changing their performance based on the potential of money (i.e. throwing games which this sport has a long history of).
You shouldn't be able to bet on your team. Different on others.

Reactions: Jussi and S E P H

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I think the blanket rule should be that you can't bet on your sport. There's just too much possibility for shenanigans within your own sport.

But also, I think that the EPL needs to decide whether it wants to treat gambling like alcohol in terms of sponsorships.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Curious question for you lot, are we in agreement that Mainoo is on the verge of wunderkid status? I don't pay too much attention to lads under 20-ish so I am not sure if he was ever hyped before, but he has been super impressive in the matches I've seen of him.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I think the blanket rule should be that you can't bet on your sport. There's just too much possibility for shenanigans within your own sport.

But also, I think that the EPL needs to decide whether it wants to treat gambling like alcohol in terms of sponsorships.

To take it even further and this would be more North American centric, but even other sports could be dicey.

I wouldn't be surprised if a pro athlete playing for say, the New York Knicks would be acquainted/friends with pro athletes in other sports/leagues and have inside knowledge because of it.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
To take it even further and this would be more North American centric, but even other sports could be dicey.

I wouldn't be surprised if a pro athlete playing for say, the New York Knicks would be acquainted/friends with pro athletes in other sports/leagues and have inside knowledge because of it.
Yeah, but I don't really see that being a terribly detrimental thing. Like people bet with insider knowledge fairly often, if I had to guess. I don't see it as being something potentially anti-competitive

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Curious question for you lot, are we in agreement that Mainoo is on the verge of wunderkid status? I don't pay too much attention to lads under 20-ish so I am not sure if he was ever hyped before, but he has been super impressive in the matches I've seen of him.
Very impressive for an 18yo. See him more as an 8 than a 6 though.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
After this punishment it needs to be made clear that betting on your own sport is a lifetime ban. Period. Too much potential for nonsense.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
As a United fan, absolutely.

He’s been very much hyped inside United for a good while, although outside of it not as much. That’s not surprising for an academy kid who joined at 9. Top talents generally don’t get poached from academies like United’s so they’re never in transfer rumors and thus the media largely ignores them until they’re seniors.

Similar to Rashford. He was very hyped internally but not known as much outside until he burst on the scene and showed he had potential to be truly special at the senior level.

Rashford hasn’t quite lived up to the initial hype, we’ll see if Mainoo does.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
You shouldn't be able to bet on your team. Different on others.
Yeah, I've said it before but the Finnish hockey league has had for years a rule that players cant' bet on their own teams matches. Some people pointed out that they might have inside information on injuries to other team's players but in this day and age when social medias and sites like Jatkoaika, it's all known before the match anyway by the general public in Finland.

The whole ruling is in the Finnish Player Association's player contract document:

4.11 Vedonlyönti

Pelaaja sitoutuu siihen, ettei hän osallistu itse tai edustajansa välityksellä vedonlyöntiin
oman joukkueensa otteluista eikä hän muutoinkaan toimi tavalla, joka asettaa hänen
toimintansa tai työnantajan aseman suhteessa vedonlyöntiin tai veikkauspeleihin kyseenalaiseksi.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I mean, just follow the rules. Worry about if the rules are stupid or not later. You get paid millions to play a game for a living. Just follow the rules

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

Do they realize a “luxury tax” is useless without a salary cap?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
VVD will be on The Rest is Football podcast Friday.......great podcast and worth a listen I would bet
You know the only thing “bad” about working remote full time is I don’t have the commute to listen to all these podcasts any more

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Spurs have 1 loss in the 15 matches that van de Ven plays all 90.

With all the talk about how playing so open would rip Spurs open and let in tons of goals on the counter, this shows only 2 goals allowed on the counter this year, but I think 2 of the 7 penalties came from counters.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
So, basically, a mecanism so City can do whatever they want. A system they'll introduce before suspending City for their 115 FFP offenses.

Pathetic.
Honestly don’t even think it’s City here. It’s all these teams that are going to get points deductions because they didn’t think PSR was serious; and now are trying to change the rules. This is like Chelsea/Everton/Forest/Newcastle etc. there’s no way Todd isn’t leading the charge on this

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Spurs have 1 loss in the 15 matches that van de Ven plays all 90.

With all the talk about how playing so open would rip Spurs open and let in tons of goals on the counter, this shows only 2 goals allowed on the counter this year, but I think 2 of the 7 penalties came from counters.

How does whoscored define counterattack? I don't mean this as a gotcha or anything, I'm just genuinely curious.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
How does whoscored define counterattack? I don't mean this as a gotcha or anything, I'm just genuinely curious.

Don't know, I heard Gold use the stat and wanted to look it up to see if that was accurate. He didn't attribute where he got the stat, but I assume that's where he got it.

But my eyes tell me the same story, they need the goalkeeper to get 50% better on corners and better man-marking more than anything else.

Reactions: bluesfan94

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad