2023-2024 Coaching/Management/Ownership

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
Not sure how reliable this site is but they state the contract is one year.

"Q. Who is the head coach of the Anaheim Ducks?
A. Greg Cronin is serving as a head coach for the Anaheim Ducks in the NHL. He signed a one-year contract with them on June 5, 2023."

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Not sure how reliable this site is but they state the contract is one year.

"Q. Who is the head coach of the Anaheim Ducks?
A. Greg Cronin is serving as a head coach for the Anaheim Ducks in the NHL. He signed a one-year contract with them on June 5, 2023."

I don't believe that for a minute. No team signs a new coach to only a 1 year contract. That's showing no confidence from the very start. That link is click bait garbage.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
We are 6 points behind last year’s total with 10 games left.

Seattle x2
LA x2
Calgary x2
Edmonton
Vancouver
Las Vegas
St. Louis

Who thinks that we finish with equal or more points this year?

Reactions: Kalv

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
We are 6 points behind last year’s total with 10 games left.

Seattle x2
LA x2
Calgary x2
Edmonton
Vancouver
Las Vegas
St. Louis

Who thinks that we finish with equal or more points this year?
Maybe a win or two against Seattle, maybe one against Calgary, and if any teams are benching their stars the last game or two of the season. All of those are big ifs

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Agreed. My guess is that it was a three-year deal. That seems pretty standard for a new coach.
I wouldn't be surprised if it was 2 years with a club option for the third year. There was no real negotiation given Cronin's lack of any leverage. And I'm pretty sure he's one of the lowest paid coaches in the league, if not THE lowest.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

LuckyDucky

Mar 18, 2015
Henrique was missing from last year’s roster for longer than this year’s roster. Him being traded doesn’t play into the discussion because it’s a wash.
Wouldn’t it make more sense to compare post trade deadline stats as well, then? That was my original point.

LuckyDucky

Mar 18, 2015
3/3/23 - 3/27/23 : 12GP 3-7-2 8P 32GF 47GA PP 20.7% PK 70.0%

3/8/24 - 3/27/24 : 10GP 1-8-1 3P 13GF 42GA PP 7.4% PK 56.5%
So we’re going to use just the 10-12 games post trade deadline and not include the rest of the season? Do you truly think this team is worse than last year? Every impact forward has missed time, and most have missed significant time.

Also, I’m just as tired as everyone else with the lousy play. With that said, I knew this season was going to be rough (it’s probably been even a little worse than I expected, but, again, injuries). The best teams in the league can overcome injuries to one, or some, of their impact player(s). The Ducks don’t have the depth to overcome that. And one offseason where they were historically bad wasn’t going to significantly change that.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Why? The Ducks traded their most consistent and healthy (man, it feels weird saying this) forward in Henrique and their biggest physical presence in front of the net, outside of Gudas who also has been out for a while, before the deadline. And that’s not taking into account Carrick who we all know is a heart and soul guy. The Ducks are better than last year.

Wouldn’t it make more sense to compare post trade deadline stats as well, then? That was my original point.

You're saying "the Ducks are a better team than last year" in your OP comment.

Now, you're saying "the Ducks are a better team than last year" post TDL? I'm very lost with your thoughts.

I guess I can play this game of comparing post TDL. BTW, Rico was injured just before the TDL and out of 19 games last year. The Ducks' RD1 and RD2 (LD Kulikov and RDKlingberg) were discarded at last year's TDL as well.

• After 61 games (I used 61 games b/c that's the lat game before the 2022-23 TDL)
    • Last year's record: 20-34-7 (47 pts)
      • Shutout offensively: 4 times
    • This year's record: 22-36-3 (47 pts)
      • Shutout offensively: 6 times

This year's team isn't better than last year's team prior to the TDL.

• Post TDL, games 62 - 72
    • Last year's record: 3-5-3 (9 pts)
      • Shutout offensively: 0 times
    • This year's record: 2-8-1 (5 pts)
      • Shutout offensively: 4 times

This year's team still isn't better than last year's team post TDL.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
So we’re going to use just the 10-12 games post trade deadline and not include the rest of the season? Do you truly think this team is worse than last year? Every impact forward has missed time, and most have missed significant time.

Also, I’m just as tired as everyone else with the lousy play. With that said, I knew this season was going to be rough (it’s probably been even a little worse than I expected, but, again, injuries). The best teams in the league can overcome injuries to one, or some, of their impact player(s). The Ducks don’t have the depth to overcome that. And one offseason where they were historically bad wasn’t going to significantly change that.
You literally said compare both seasons after the trade deadline. That’s what those numbers are.

Edit - the roster is significantly better, even with the injuries. Their play, and their entertainment value, I’ve been saying for weeks I find to be inferior to last year.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

2023-24
Forward Additions: C Carlsson, LW Killorn, LW Johnston

Defensive Additions: RD Gudas, RD Lyubushkin, LD Minty, LD LaCombe, RD Luneau, D Zellweger, and a healthy D Vaak.

• 2022-23 Games played last year, top forwards (full 82 games)
    • Z = 81
    • Terry = 70
    • Mac = 80
    • Rico = 62
    • Total = 293 games played

• 2023-24 Games played last year, top forwards (72 games)
    • Z = 21
    • Terry = 66
    • Mac = 60
    • Rico = 60
    • Carlsson = 45
    • Killorn = 53
    • Total = 305 games played

It seems as though this year's team had more top-6 talent to absorb some injury game losses. Carlsson and Killorn gives this year's Ducks an additional 98 games, with 10 more games left, that last year's Ducks did not have on the roster. With the return of Z, there are five top-6 players to accrue even more games played with 10 more games left to play in the season. The additional top-6 forwards also pushed down talents like Vatrano and Strome to the third line. The forward group has more talent depth than last year's group even with injuries.

We haven't even addressed the blue line!

• Last year's blueline
    • Beaulieu ➡️ in Europe this year
    • Benoit ➡️ started in AHL with Toronto this year
    • Drysdale ➡️ injured most of the season, traded away
    • Fowler ➡️ still here
    • Harrington ➡️ went to Europe this year
    • Klingberg ➡️ 2022-23 TDL move
    • Kulikov ➡️ 2022-23 TDL move
    • Shattenkirk➡️ played top-4 for us, plays bottom-pair for Boston this year
    • Vaak ➡️ still here ... mostly injured last year; healthy this year and developed with Anaheim
    • White ➡️ sent to AHL this year

As you can see, most of last year's team were comprised of European or AHL talented d-men. We had one top-4D last year in Fowler, Drysdale & Vaak injured, and the rest were bottom-pairing/AHL defensemen all playing up higher in D-pairs.

Injury Viz for Ducks, 2022-23.
Injury Viz, 2022-23 (82 games).png

This year, we lost Drysdale again, but we have talent depth to absorb his loss better than last year. We have no talent, let alone, talent depth on the blueline last season to absorb the losses of Drysdale and Vaak. This year, we traded away Drysdale and a healthy Vaak is a rotational piece despite playing very well with Gudas, but are still chugging along far better than last year's team in terms of talent on the ice... though not actualizing that talent to convert to more points nor wins.

Yet, despite the influx of talent at forward and blueline, our special teams did not get a huge bump of improvement. This season's PP is mimicking Katy Perry's "Hot and Cold" song while our PK is has been decaying since the start of the season.

Ducks2022-23SpecialTeamsSplits
Game SetGamesPPGPPOPP Eff.PK GATSHPK Eff
Total823622915.7%7828072.1%
1 to 2525127216.7%318965.2%
26 to 4924116417.2%178179.0%
50 to 611253613.9%104477.3%
62 to 822185714.0%206669.7%

Ducks2023-24Special TeamsSplits
Total723821417.8%7728973.4%
1 to 2525188122.2%2211080.0%
26 to 4924107114.1%229175.8%
50 to 621383522.9%164766.0%
63 to 72102277.4%174158.5%

This year's club possessed far more talent at forward and defense than last year's team, but doesn't know how to generate more points production. That would point to the coaching staff's fault. This team has surpassed last year's TSH totals and there are still 10 games left to play this season! We are that much more undisciplined this season!

With the last 10 games left, we're pondering if we can match last year's point total and how many more offensive shutouts are we going to incur?

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Goal differential last year was -129 (1.57 per game). This year we are at -82 with ten games remaining (1.14 per game), though I won't be surprised if that number climbs above -100 with the way the team has been trending.

Nonetheless, barring being cranked by an average of 5 goals per game for the rest of the season, there's going to likely be at least some notable improvement in goal differential. I do think having more talent on the back end, helps this team stay a bit less consistently caved in than last year's AHL level D core. If we hadn't spent the better portion of this season always missing at least two of the top play drivers up front at the same time, I strongly believe this team would have ended up scoring a fair bit more than last year.

Plus with powerplays being such a huge part of today's game and ours currently being so bad right now, I have no trouble picturing next year's team scoring buckets more than this year. Even just getting our powerplay to mid tier level would be a huge boost, Detroit and their 9th ranked powerplay have scored 19 more PP goals than the Ducks. That's more than ten percent of our current goal total.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
We really need to sign two big fish free agents to push the play, especially offensively to give us consistency and confidence, and not sign just overpaid old players past their prime. Unfortunately, I wouldn't want to offer those contracts to this years UFA pool... Hronek and Reinhardt would definitely help us out of the bottom 10 gutter, but the contracts would be harmful for us long-term extending our young players. But at some point, we need the GM to roll the dice because our players will lose motivation and want to be traded out of a loser a la Eichel.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I feel like Bednar in Colorado also had issues when he first started. I'm willing to give Cronin a bit more slack so far. I'm definitely concerned but the Tampa game gives me hope. Maybe a fools hour. I tend to think our issues are more roster than coaching. Except the PP. No arguments there. It's terrible. I want Adam Oates. Wish he would coach..

LuckyDucky

Mar 18, 2015
You literally said compare both seasons after the trade deadline. That’s what those numbers are.

Edit - the roster is significantly better, even with the injuries. Their play, and their entertainment value, I’ve been saying for weeks I find to be inferior to last year.
Sorry (I blame lack of sleep with a 6 month old who is teething), I should have been more clear in saying that it doesn't make sense to exclude the TDL stats considering the Ducks moved NHL talent before both of the TDLs.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Verbeek is at a crossroads for me. He either fixes the coaching staff this offseason or I’ll begin to question him.

We can’t do another year with these same assistant coaches

I'm thinking the same thing for our AHL program too. Those assistant coaches (Sparre and Clarke) have been there for the past two seasons.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Goal differential last year was -129 (1.57 per game). This year we are at -82 with ten games remaining (1.14 per game), though I won't be surprised if that number climbs above -100 with the way the team has been trending.

Nonetheless, barring being cranked by an average of 5 goals per game for the rest of the season, there's going to likely be at least some notable improvement in goal differential. I do think having more talent on the back end, helps this team stay a bit less consistently caved in than last year's AHL level D core. If we hadn't spent the better portion of this season always missing at least two of the top play drivers up front at the same time, I strongly believe this team would have ended up scoring a fair bit more than last year.

Plus with powerplays being such a huge part of today's game and ours currently being so bad right now, I have no trouble picturing next year's team scoring buckets more than this year. Even just getting our powerplay to mid tier level would be a huge boost, Detroit and their 9th ranked powerplay have scored 19 more PP goals than the Ducks. That's more than ten percent of our current goal total.

2023-24

Defensive Additions: RD Gudas, RD Lyubushkin, LD Minty, LD LaCombe, RD Luneau, D Zellweger, D Lindstrom, and a healthy D Vaak.

• Goal Diff after 72 games
    • This year: -82

• Record after 72 games
    • Last year: 23-39-10 (56 pts)
    • This year: 24-44-4 (52 pts)

You can say if the Ducks' weren't missing two of their play drivers that they'd score more, but last year's team didn't have Carlsson nor Killorn in their lineup. Last year's team didn't have all those new defensemen either.

Last year's team knew how to crawl and scratch their way to generate points despite being woefully understaffed. That should be the most important metric when comparing the two seasons, not GD. We couldn't generate more points despite producing a better GD? This is akin to saying a presidential candidate increased their popular vote this season, but lost the electoral college vote.

I think we need a whole new coaching staff, but I don't see Cronin going anywhere next season. Cronin didn't elevate this team's play because we're still in the bottom-3. It's gonna be more apparent if we don't match or surpass last year's point total.

LuckyDucky

Mar 18, 2015
2023-24

Defensive Additions: RD Gudas, RD Lyubushkin, LD Minty, LD LaCombe, RD Luneau, D Zellweger, and a healthy D Vaak.

• 2022-23 Games played last year, top forwards (full 82 games)
    • Z = 81
    • Terry = 70
    • Mac = 80
    • Rico = 62
    • Total = 293 games played

• 2023-24 Games played last year, top forwards (72 games)
    • Z = 21
    • Terry = 66
    • Mac = 60
    • Rico = 60
    • Carlsson = 45
    • Killorn = 53
    • Total = 305 games played

It seems as though this year's team had more top-6 talent to absorb some injury game losses. Carlsson and Killorn gives this year's Ducks an additional 98 games, with 10 more games left, that last year's Ducks did not have on the roster. With the return of Z, there are five top-6 players to accrue even more games played with 10 more games left to play in the season. The additional top-6 forwards also pushed down talents like Vatrano and Strome to the third line. The forward group has more talent depth than last year's group even with injuries.

We haven't even addressed the blue line!

• Last year's blueline
    • Beaulieu ➡️ in Europe this year
    • Benoit ➡️ started in AHL with Toronto this year
    • Drysdale ➡️ injured most of the season, traded away
    • Fowler ➡️ still here
    • Harrington ➡️ went to Europe this year
    • Klingberg ➡️ 2022-23 TDL move
    • Kulikov ➡️ 2022-23 TDL move
    • Shattenkirk➡️ played top-4 for us, plays bottom-pair for Boston this year
    • Vaak ➡️ still here ... mostly injured last year; healthy this year and developed with Anaheim
    • White ➡️ sent to AHL this year

As you can see, most of last year's team were comprised of European or AHL talented d-men. We had one top-4D last year in Fowler, Drysdale & Vaak injured, and the rest were bottom-pairing/AHL defensemen all playing up higher in D-pairs.

Injury Viz for Ducks, 2022-23.
View attachment 842476

This year, we lost Drysdale again, but we have talent depth to absorb his loss better than last year. We have no talent, let alone, talent depth on the blueline last season to absorb the losses of Drysdale and Vaak. This year, we traded away Drysdale and a healthy Vaak is a rotational piece despite playing very well with Gudas, but are still chugging along far better than last year's team in terms of talent on the ice... though not actualizing that talent to convert to more points nor wins.

Yet, despite the influx of talent at forward and blueline, our special teams did not get a huge bump of improvement. This season's PP is mimicking Katy Perry's "Hot and Cold" song while our PK is has been decaying since the start of the season.

Ducks2022-23SpecialTeamsSplits
Total823622915.7%7828072.1%
1 to 2525127216.7%318965.2%
26 to 4924116417.2%178179.0%
50 to 611253613.9%104477.3%
62 to 822185714.0%206669.7%

Ducks2023-24SpecialTeamsSplits
Total723821417.8%7728973.4%
1 to 2525188122.2%2211080.0%
26 to 4924107114.1%229175.8%
50 to 621383522.9%164766.0%
63 to 72102277.4%174158.5%

This year's club possessed far more talent at forward and defense than last year's team, but doesn't know how to generate more points production. That would point to the coaching staff's fault. This team has surpassed last year's TSH totals and there are still 10 games left to play this season! We are that much more undisciplined this season!

With the last 10 games left, we're pondering if we can match last year's point total and how many more offensive shutouts are we going to incur?

A few notes:

1. Again, I said that the better teams can overcome the loss of IMPACT (read: top 6 FWs/top 4 DMEN) players. Prior to the season starting there isn't a single player that you listed as additions, outside of Carlsson (and even that is a reach considering he's a rookie) that I'd consider possible impact players.
  2. "The additional top-6 forwards also pushed down talents like Vatrano and Strome to the third line." I can't call the forward that has the second highest average TOI (and that includes Henrique) a third liner.
  3. "We had one top-4D last year in Fowler..." And now the Ducks have MAYBE two top 4D in Fowler and Minty (who has played above expectations, missed an extended period of time, AND has not been quite as effective after his great start to the season)? The talent the Ducks added on the blueline this year would/should be considered bottom pairing depth on the better teams around the league.
  4. There's a lot to be excited about for the future. I honestly think most of the new additions have played relatively well and have exceeded what I was expecting. With that said, anyone expecting a massive jump (hell, even a medium sized jump... think 6-8 spots) had too high of expectations for, both, the incoming rookies and offseason acquisitions.

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
2023-24

Defensive Additions: RD Gudas, RD Lyubushkin, LD Minty, LD LaCombe, RD Luneau, D Zellweger, D Lindstrom, and a healthy D Vaak.

• Goal Diff after 72 games

• Record after 72 games
    • Last year: 23-39-10 (56 pts)
    • This year: 24-44-4 (52 pts)

You can say if the Ducks' weren't missing two of their play drivers that they'd score more, but last year's team didn't have Carlsson nor Killorn in their lineup. Last year's team didn't have all those new defensemen either.

Last year's team knew how to crawl and scratch their way to generate points despite being woefully understaffed. That should be the most important metric when comparing the two seasons, not GD. We couldn't generate more points despite producing a better GD? This is akin to saying a presidential candidate increased their popular vote this season, but lost the electoral college vote.

I think we need a whole new coaching staff, but I don't see Cronin going anywhere next season. Cronin didn't elevate this team's play because we're still in the bottom-3. It's gonna be more apparent if we don't match or surpass last year's point total.

It seems a little premature to ask for an entire new coaching staff after just one season. That's just my opinion though.

Reactions: SmokeyDuck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad