2023-2024 AUS Thread

timbitca

Feb 15, 2007
JLL Press Box
I remember back in my early days following the team, starting in '98-'99. I'm not completely ancient but it was definitely predating smart phones and having everything at your fingertips all the time.

We'd jump on the bus after a game and Leo, our manager would bring it his new fangled toy, a cell phone. He'd call Global TV in Halifax, the Gleaner office in Fredericton, the AUAA office, the Times & Transcript office here in town. Only to give out our scores, and more importantly, to receive the other games' scores to piece together what the standings now were. Now the games are over, and 5 minutes after the game we're on our cell phones looking at the updated standings.

And now, you can't even find any darn local sports stories anywheres. No, I don't buy the T&T or Acadie-Nouvelle to read NHL news I already read online 2 days ago. I buy local papers to know what happens here, not in New York.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I noticed that both UNB and Moncton have a couple of Saturday 4pm games on their schedule this season. The visiting teams will be playing the night before. While their rest period is slightly shortened they will get to hit the road back home earlier. Not sure if the 4pm starts will have any impact on the attendance.

dm8895

V-Reds , McJesus Stan , Beer Leaguer
Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
I noticed that both UNB and Moncton have a couple of Saturday 4pm games on their schedule this season. The visiting teams will be playing the night before. While their rest period is slightly shortened they will get to hit the road back home earlier. Not sure if the 4pm starts will have any impact on the attendance.
I’ve noticed they impact family’s and not in the way you’d think, 75% of the kids who go are minor hockey players and on a Saturday at 4 they are in Minto or Doaktown or some exotic place playing hockey.. although I think the idea was to get family’s to come (elementary night was an afternoon last year)

Reactions: FreddyFoyle and Rob

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I saw that. UNB experimented with some 4PM games a few years ago…it must’ve been deemed a success because they had at least one last year too, IIRC. Personally, I don’t mind it…it is nice to have a free Saturday night.

dm8895

Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
I saw that. UNB experimented with some 4PM games a few years ago…it must’ve been deemed a success because they had at least one last year too, IIRC. Personally, I don’t mind it…it is nice to have a free Saturday night.
It messes my internal clock up so much ! If I walk out of the Aitken Centre at 3:30, 6:30 or 9:30 my body thinks it’s 9:30. I enjoy them to an extent but it really throws me off lol

dm8895

Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
I’m tempted to go into the gleaner archives and save the old season previews , I was reading some of them tonight but they make it awfully difficult to save them in a readable manner (Irving really needs to protect the 2003 AUS preview from us). I think that sounds like a holiday project or something to work away slowly on. I also am going to try and get around to uploading the 2007 National Final game, the laptop I’m using doesn’t have a DVD player so probably going to have to do that off a work computer at some point but at some point I’m going to get on those two things for the 7 other people on earth who might want to see them haha, or if someone in Freddy has a computer with a drive and wants to do that I’ll just give you the DVD at the game Friday night

Campy

Jan 27, 2019
The Nova Scotia schools who have played a 4-pm Saturday game @ UNB after a Friday night game in Moncton said they like getting back home 3 hours earlier. That may not be popular opinion across the board but those who I heard from said it beats sitting around Freddy all day and then getting back to NS in the middle of the night.

Reactions: Rob

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
The Nova Scotia schools who have played a 4-pm Saturday game @ UNB after a Friday night game in Moncton said they like getting back home 3 hours earlier. That may not be popular opinion across the board but those who I heard from said it beats sitting around Freddy all day and then getting back to NS in the middle of the night.
That is what I thought.

If attendance isn’t an issue we might see it more often.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Nothing like getting back to the rink at 2 am to unload and drive home in 2 feet of snow.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Does the AUS or CW get a 3rd berth at the UCup this year?
I saw this mentioned by Ben Steiner in his 49-Sports story.

It would have to be pre-determine which conference was to be awarded the chance as USPORTS and the Conferences like teams to 'play their way in' rather than being pulled from a hat.

That said, and the follow-up text on how the tournament breaks-down for an OUA host, makes sense. They get three to start and if the host is from the OUA - it increases to four. It doesn't take anything away from CW and AUS - they still get to send their top 2 teams. Why send more?

No team ranked 6-7-8 has won or even advanced to the final.

Reactions: Rob

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
All four USPORTS Men’s Hockey conferences have adopted Jr. A rules for the upcoming season.

One rule I forgot to mention and is AUSM Specific - the goaltender can play with a broken goalie stick. This would normally be a 2-min Minor for illegal equipment. He can also play with a player's stick until the first stoppage (as an alternative). They may not play with a broken player's stick.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I saw this mentioned by Ben Steiner in his 49-Sports story.

It would have to be pre-determine which conference was to be awarded the chance as USPORTS and the Conferences like teams to 'play their way in' rather than being pulled from a hat.

That said, and the follow-up text on how the tournament breaks-down for an OUA host, makes sense. They get three to start and if the host is from the OUA - it increases to four. It doesn't take anything away from CW and AUS - they still get to send their top 2 teams. Why send more?

No team ranked 6-7-8 has won or even advanced to the final.
I agree the OUA will probably get four spots.

I remember they tweaked the format when Lakehead hosted as the OUA was supposed to get the rotating wild card berth one year, which would have made it 4 OUA + 1 CW/AUS each. But that was with six teams, not eight.

My Predictions for 2023-24
1. UNB
2. SMU
3. UDM
4. ACD
5. PEI
6. DAL
7. SFX

UNB 2-1 over SMU in the finals and both teams to UCup with SMU seeded #5 and setting up a UNB/SMU rematch in the Semi's.
X finishing 7th is a bold prediction

Reactions: Drummer

freddy123

Jun 30, 2013
Fredericton
There was a sentence for both Moncton and Dal at the very end of the preview….kind of a slap in the face.
Really insane. The only thing I can think of is the teams were responsible for putting it together on their own and those two didn't hand it in on time. Why else would you leave off a quarter of the league?

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Is the OUA really getting 4 teams this year and next?

I'm trying hard not to knock the OUA, but I'm not sure they can field a 4th team.

Is it fair? No. But no format has been since they expanded from a four team tournament back in '98.

I'm fine with there being four OUA teams. It is better for tournament attendance meaning a more exciting atmosphere. Odds are at least one of the teams will make it to the Semi-Finals.

Reactions: Drummer

Campy

Jan 27, 2019
Is the OUA really getting 4 teams this year and next?

I'm trying hard not to knock the OUA, but I'm not sure they can field a 4th team.

Until something is released that supersedes this, the answer has to be yes

1696380319967.png

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Is it fair? No. But no format has been since they expanded from a four team tournament back in '98.

I'm fine with there being four OUA teams. It is better for tournament attendance meaning a more exciting atmosphere. Odds are at least one of the teams will make it to the Semi-Finals.
Are you serious? The OUA teams can't draw flies to their home games. Ask people who were in Kitchener 2001 and 2002. If not for SFX fans in 2001 the AUD was empty. In 2002 they announced the fans names instead of the starting lineups because it was quicker.

• Haha
Reactions: Drummer and dm8895

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad