2023-2024 AUS Thread

902RedIslander

Nov 2, 2022
I've been MIA and on a U SPORTS cleanse the past couple of months... looking forward to the upcoming season. Believe UPEI will have their home opener Oct 7 vs UNB.

Expecting a few more back-to-back road games this season for UPEI. Recent previous seasons they've rarely been on the road back-to-back nights and have opted for the home/away schedules. Eternal optimist...but may be very tough sledding for the Panthers this season!

Mar 14-17 U CUP @ TMU

Last edited:

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I've been MIA and on a U SPORTS cleanse the past couple of months... looking forward to the upcoming season. Believe UPEI will have their home opener Oct 7 vs UNB.

Expecting a few more back-to-back road games this season for UPEI. Recent previous seasons they've rarely been on the road back-to-back nights and have opted for the home/away schedules. Eternal optimist...but may be very tough sledding for the Panthers this season!

Mar 14-17 U CUP @ TMU
I wonder if this will be the opening DAL needs to get a playoff spot. They have a couple of decent recruits and are supposedly getting Gentile and Kerwin back this year. I'm not sure when they can play.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Now that the COVID crisis is over I expect to see NCAA exhibition games again. Last season was the first time UNB didn’t go to the US for a pre-season game.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Now that the COVID crisis is over I expect to see NCAA exhibition games again. Last season was the first time UNB didn’t go to the US for a pre-season game.
I know there are a lot of rules and regulations around it…but I wonder if we see any NCAA teams come up here again any time soon?

Last edited:

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I know there are a lot of rules and regulations around it…but I wonder if we see any NCAA teams come up here again any time soon?

I doubt it. It has been over a decade now since UNB host an NCAA team. Just too expensive. If another one does come back it will probably be Maine again.

The only other USport team that has hosted an NCAA team recently that I can think of is RMC Paladines hosting Army.

Campy

Jan 27, 2019
I'd be thoroughly shocked if an NCAA team came up again anytime soon

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Others will have a better answer but my understanding is that NCAA teams can only play out-of-country once every 5 years or perhaps it's longer. Bottom line is they can't play too often and the cost would be too much for most CIS teams.

RMC and Army play a game once a year, alternating venues.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Others will have a better answer but my understanding is that NCAA teams can only play out-of-country once every 5 years or perhaps it's longer. Bottom line is they can't play too often and the cost would be too much for most CIS teams.

Yet how many NCAA teams have played outside the US in the last 5 years? It's like giving up beer because a supermodel refuses to date guys who drink beer.

Reactions: AUS Fan

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Sad news to pass on today.
Joe Glenn, long time equipment manager for UNB hockey recently passed away.
I knew Joe from FISU 2007 in Turino and we remained friends over the years.
Joe was a great guy to work with and was helpful to visiting teams.
My condolences to his family and to the UNB family.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Just noticed UNB’s schedule doesn’t feature more than three consecutive home or road games….so there will be at least one home game every two weeks as there are no back to back road (or home) weekends like in past (meaning it would be three weeks between home games).

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com

Right - once every 5 years. The last trip I recall was UMass and UMass Lowell traveling to Northern Ireland last fall. Having an NCAA team come North is an expensive venture for a USPORT team (travel, room & board, food, ice, etc) all in the hopes you can sell-out and break-even. It's easier to go down their and pocket the appearance fee.

The Army/RMC game is exempt from the 5 year rule. Not explicitly documented by the NCAA, but no one has every raised it as an issue.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Right - once every 5 years. The last trip I recall was UMass and UMass Lowell traveling to Northern Ireland last fall. Having an NCAA team come North is an expensive venture for a USPORT team (travel, room & board, food, ice, etc) all in the hopes you can sell-out and break-even. It's easier to go down their and pocket the appearance fee.

The Army/RMC game is exempt from the 5 year rule. Not explicitly documented by the NCAA, but no one has every raised it as an issue.
NCAA is very good at "ignoring" some things and "obsessing" over others.

Island Husky

Sep 18, 2008
Kensington PEI
Not a reply, in a hurry, instead of starting a new post, word received last night, former UPEI Coach and NHL player, coach, and GM Billy MacMillan has died. 80 years old, used to live across from his wife's home and Mother in Law ( Herself a pioneer player with Crystal Sisters in 1930s) in Summerside.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00