Prospect Info: 2022 WJC Thread

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Maybe the women got lucky instead of screwed. Better to have no tournament at all than this sideshow where one or two positives = forefit

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
It's just too easy to spread these things in a locker room and you can't wear the mask in the locker room (mostly) or out on the ice or on the benches.

Even simple colds and stomach bugs go around easily in there.
I think the point is, how does it get into the bubble? Not how it spreads once it is inside the bubble.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
The forfeits are certainly unfortunate.

I'm still all for firing up the tournament portion, but if current rules stay in place I don't see how that happens.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I think the point is, how does it get into the bubble? Not how it spreads once it is inside the bubble.

They don't have a bubble. They have a bunch of people in a hotel. I'm sure they come into contact with hotel staff, bus drivers, support staff not affiliated with the team, and even now I saw someone claiming that they're coming into contact with other hotel guests. Omicron spreads much more easily than 'Alpha' COVID-19, and so given what we're seeing in all the other sports, this is inevitable.

Reactions: devilsblood

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
ron-simmons-wrestler.gif

I guess I don't have an excuse not to do some overdue home cleaning.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Sucks for the kids, but there was no way this was ever going to work. Forfeiting games because of one positive test at the same time a new variant is running rampant is just not going to work.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Sucks for the kids, but there was no way this was ever going to work. Forfeiting games because of one positive test at the same time a new variant is running rampant is just not going to work.

Not without an actual bubble anyway.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
What a bust Hughes is. It is like he didnt even show up

I remember when Lou traded for Langenbrunner in 2002, I was angry and one of my first thoughts was "I don't even remember him in the 2000 Finals." Then years later I learned he got hurt in the Western Conference Final and only could suit up for one game against us.

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
The IIHF had a full calendar year to make this work and they screwed it up pretty hard. How do you tell teams to be in a bubble but permit fans to show up at games?

This tournament was managed very poorly and several countries will be losing all kinds of money because of it. All the hotel fees, transportation, food, staff, etc.

Last edited:

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
So the tourney ends up with Bedard having the most goals and Michov tied for second.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
What level prospect is Shane Wright compared to those guys? I thought he had insane hype too. Is he more of an Eichel level prospect?

Wright definitely goes first overall before the last couple #1s, Power and Lafreniere. I don't know if I'd put Wright on Eichel's level, but Wright has a very polished and complete game which sets his potential as a guy who can combine the all-around game of a Kopitar or Bergeron while adding 40+ goal scoring.

I'm not sure we'll ever see Eichel's true upside. His early seasons in Buffalo were alternately exceptional but clouded by the fact that the Sabres consistently surrounded him with poor teammates, coaching and organizational tools. Now with the injuries and the Sabres' mishandling of his injuries, one has to wonder if he'll ever be at 100% again. He's in a good situation organizationally in Vegas, so hopefully that helps.

My fear for Wright is that he'll wind up in Arizona, which has proven to be a very dysfunctional organization in their own right. They've gotten a bit better since jettisoning front-office cancer John Chayka from the GM seat, but they've got a long way to go before earning trust for their player development and organizational culture. Then again, the team with the second worst record right now is Montreal, which has also proven to be a bit of a s**t show in the past year, and third-worst is Ottawa which has very questionable ownership to say the least. For me, Wright's best case scenario would be Seattle, where he could be the centerpiece for a bright, new franchise in a terrific market.

FascinationStreet

Dec 6, 2021
Im seriously blanking here…what happened last year? Did they bubble better? How did they not have positive cases. Genuinely asking

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad