Prospect Info: 2022 WJC Thread

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
It's the most wonderful time of the year! With the 2022 World Junior Championship approaching again this season, I thought that starting a thread for games/discussions would be appropriate.

Here are our prospects participating/in selection camps for their respective countries:

Alexander Holtz (7th O., 2020 Draft), Sweden

Luke Hughes (4th O., 2021 Draft), USA

Shakir Mukhamadullin (20th O., 2020 Draft), Russia

Jakub Málek (100th O., 2021 Draft), Czech Republic

*The list will be updated once rosters are finalized if there are any changes.

2022 WJC rosters:

Austria
Canada
Czech Republic
Finland
Germany
Russia
Slovakia
Sweden
Switzerland
USA

2022 WJC schedule:

Sunday, Dec. 26
Finland 3 - Germany 1
Czechia 3 - Canada 6
Russia 3 - Sweden 6
USA 3
- Slovakia 2

Monday, Dec. 27
Austria 1 - Finland 7
Russia 4
- Switzerland 2
Germany 2 - Czechia 1 (OT)
Sweden 2 - Slovakia 0

Tuesday, Dec. 28
Switzerland 1 - USA 0 (Forfeit)
Austria 2 - Canada 11

Wednesday, Dec. 29 - CANCELLED
F̶i̶n̶l̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶v̶s̶.̶ ̶C̶z̶e̶c̶h̶ ̶R̶e̶p̶u̶b̶l̶i̶c̶ ̶(̶E̶d̶m̶o̶n̶t̶o̶n̶)̶,̶ ̶2̶ ̶p̶.̶m̶.̶ ̶E̶T̶ ̶
S̶l̶o̶v̶a̶k̶i̶a̶ ̶v̶s̶.̶ ̶R̶u̶s̶s̶i̶a̶ ̶(̶R̶e̶d̶ ̶D̶e̶e̶r̶)̶,̶ ̶4̶:̶3̶0̶ ̶p̶.̶m̶.̶ ̶E̶T̶ ̶
C̶a̶n̶a̶d̶a̶ ̶v̶s̶.̶ ̶G̶e̶r̶m̶a̶n̶y̶ ̶(̶E̶d̶m̶o̶n̶t̶o̶n̶)̶,̶ ̶7̶ ̶p̶.̶m̶.̶ ̶E̶T̶ ̶
S̶w̶e̶d̶e̶n̶ ̶v̶s̶.̶ ̶U̶n̶i̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶S̶t̶a̶t̶e̶s̶ ̶(̶R̶e̶d̶ ̶D̶e̶e̶r̶)̶,̶ ̶9̶:̶3̶0̶ ̶p̶.̶m̶.̶ ̶E̶T̶

Thursday, Dec. 30 - CANCELLED
C̶z̶e̶c̶h̶ ̶R̶e̶p̶u̶b̶l̶i̶c̶ ̶v̶s̶.̶ ̶A̶u̶s̶t̶r̶i̶a̶ ̶(̶E̶d̶m̶o̶n̶t̶o̶n̶)̶,̶ ̶4̶:̶3̶0̶ ̶p̶.̶m̶.̶ ̶E̶T̶ ̶
S̶l̶o̶v̶a̶k̶i̶a̶ ̶v̶s̶.̶ ̶S̶w̶i̶t̶z̶e̶r̶l̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶(̶R̶e̶d̶ ̶D̶e̶e̶r̶)̶,̶ ̶7̶ ̶p̶.̶m̶.̶ ̶E̶T̶

Friday, Dec. 31 - CANCELLED
G̶e̶r̶m̶a̶n̶y̶ ̶v̶s̶.̶ ̶A̶u̶s̶t̶r̶i̶a̶ ̶(̶E̶d̶m̶o̶n̶t̶o̶n̶)̶,̶ ̶2̶ ̶p̶.̶m̶.̶ ̶E̶T̶ ̶
S̶w̶i̶t̶z̶e̶r̶l̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶v̶s̶.̶ ̶S̶w̶e̶d̶e̶n̶ ̶(̶R̶e̶d̶ ̶D̶e̶e̶r̶)̶,̶ ̶4̶:̶3̶0̶ ̶p̶.̶m̶.̶ ̶E̶T̶ ̶
C̶a̶n̶a̶d̶a̶ ̶v̶s̶.̶ ̶F̶i̶n̶l̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶(̶E̶d̶m̶o̶n̶t̶o̶n̶)̶,̶ ̶7̶ ̶p̶.̶m̶.̶ ̶E̶T̶ ̶
U̶n̶i̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶S̶t̶a̶t̶e̶s̶ ̶v̶s̶.̶ ̶R̶u̶s̶s̶i̶a̶ ̶(̶R̶e̶d̶ ̶D̶e̶e̶r̶)̶,̶ ̶9̶:̶3̶0̶ ̶p̶.̶m̶.̶ ̶E̶T̶

Sunday, Jan. 2 - CANCELLED
Q̶u̶a̶r̶t̶e̶r̶f̶i̶n̶a̶l̶ ̶1̶ ̶(̶E̶d̶m̶o̶n̶t̶o̶n̶)̶,̶ ̶2̶:̶3̶0̶ ̶p̶.̶m̶.̶ ̶E̶T̶ ̶
Q̶u̶a̶r̶t̶e̶r̶f̶i̶n̶a̶l̶ ̶2̶ ̶(̶R̶e̶d̶ ̶D̶e̶e̶r̶)̶,̶ ̶5̶ ̶p̶.̶m̶.̶ ̶E̶T̶ ̶
Q̶u̶a̶r̶t̶e̶r̶f̶i̶n̶a̶l̶ ̶3̶ ̶(̶E̶d̶m̶o̶n̶t̶o̶n̶)̶,̶ ̶7̶:̶3̶0̶ ̶p̶.̶m̶.̶ ̶E̶T̶ ̶
Q̶u̶a̶r̶t̶e̶r̶f̶i̶n̶a̶l̶ ̶4̶ ̶(̶R̶e̶d̶ ̶D̶e̶e̶r̶)̶,̶ ̶1̶0̶ ̶p̶.̶m̶.̶ ̶E̶T̶

Tuesday, Jan. 4 (Edmonton) - CANCELLED
S̶e̶m̶i̶f̶i̶n̶a̶l̶ ̶1̶,̶ ̶3̶ ̶p̶.̶m̶.̶ ̶E̶T̶ ̶
S̶e̶m̶i̶f̶i̶n̶a̶l̶ ̶2̶,̶ ̶7̶ ̶p̶.̶m̶.̶ ̶E̶T̶

Wednesday, Jan. 5 (Edmonton) - CANCELLED
T̶h̶i̶r̶d̶-̶p̶l̶a̶c̶e̶ ̶g̶a̶m̶e̶,̶ ̶4̶ ̶p̶.̶m̶.̶ ̶E̶T̶ ̶
C̶h̶a̶m̶p̶i̶o̶n̶s̶h̶i̶p̶ ̶g̶a̶m̶e̶,̶ ̶8̶ ̶p̶.̶m̶.̶ ̶E̶T̶

*The schedule will be updated in the final stages.

Last edited:

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Looking at the rosters, I think Canada wins it all this year, even with questionnable omissions like Clarke or Ceulemans. I like their roster a lot, and feel it’s really balanced. The US is real close though.

Curious to hear @StevenToddIves opinion on this year’s tournament! ;)

Who do you posters like this year?

Last edited:

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

Brutal for him. What awful luck.

Tournament doesn't start for another 2 weeks. How is he already ruled out now - seems like there should have been a path for him to test negative in another week or so and still play. Just sucks for him.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Tournament doesn't start for another 2 weeks. How is he already ruled out now - seems like there should have been a path for him to test negative in another week or so and still play. Just sucks for him.
From what I understood, it’s that players enter the bubble on the 15th or 16th and that they need to have 2 negative tests by then.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto

still,,,after the first miss because of the roommate false alarm you would think that hyper diligence would high on the list for him

now he tests positive

something about beds you make and having to sleep in them

im feeling harsh tonight sure but c'mon

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
From what I understood, it’s that players enter the bubble on the 15th or 16th and that they need to have 2 negative tests by then.

I get it, but if the guy is recovering and comes a few days later after a couple of negative tests, then what's the harm? Should have some flexibility especially given how he got screwed over last year, though I'm guessing this is more of a Canadian government-driven issue.

still,,,after the first miss because of the roommate false alarm you would think that hyper diligence would high on the list for him

now he tests positive

Are you really blaming him for coming down with Covid? Do you know something that the rest of us don't regarding how he put himself at risk and got it?

Reactions: Devils731

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
I get it, but if the guy is recovering and comes a few days later after a couple of negative tests, then what's the harm? Should have some flexibility especially given how he got screwed over last year, though I'm guessing this is more of a Canadian government-driven issue.

Are you really blaming him for coming down with Covid? Do you know something that the rest of us don't regarding how he put himself at risk and got it?

i agree that with 2 weeks to play he should have a chance but it seems that the rules have a cut off date.

as for the blame…..it could be from close contact at home, with family……on the ice with others that are in contact with whomever…..

…im basing my assumptions on what i do (and i dont interact with any people indoors or close outdoors)

…..its just a frustration that shit can go down anytime…..and im being selfish as i think that i dont put myself in any of these situations without appreciating the 'luxury' i have

i havent seen my niece and nephew in 3 weeks due to some other kids showing up with covid at the school an them going into quaratine …. (yes, my brother has heard it from me too …his kids)

so …ya im a bit bent tonight

its a tough thing to express without a bit of fumes

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
No Salminen is too bad, but probably to be expected considering he’s still playing in Finnish juniors.

Finland just lost Raty and Maatta to positive covid tests.

Devils Army

Rebuild Over.
Feb 3, 2014
New Jersey
This WJC is gonna be awesome for devils prospects. One of my favorite times of year. Also sidenote, could you imagine Dawson Mercer playing against kids? He would absolutely dominate.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Looking at the rosters, I think Canada wins it all this year, even with questionnable omissions like Clarke or Ceulemans. I like their roster a lot, and feel it’s really balanced. The US is real close though.

Curious to hear @StevenToddIves opinion on this year’s tournament! ;)

Who do you posters like this year?

I like the USA blueline more than Canada, and the Americans are also terrific up the middle. But it's tough to argue Canada, I mean Wright, Bedard, McTavish, Power, Johnson, Guenther... jeez it feels like a future NHL All-Star ballot.

I feel this might be the best Russian team I've seen in awhile, and if Askarov shines in goal this is a team with a big, strong D and some incredibly talented forwards who can win it all.

Both the Czechs and Slovaks are also icing their best teams in many years. It would be nice to see a renaissance coming out of that part of Europe. I'm not sure either team has the depth to win gold, but either team has the firepower for a few big upsets and must be considered medal threats.

Sweden finally has a #1 center in Eklund, which has been their biggest problem for years. They have some electrifying scorers on the wing. But their blueline is very susceptible beyond a physical and tenacious top 2 in Edvinsson/Olsson which could give them trouble vs. the deeper teams in the tourney.

The Finns are lacking high-end scorers up front beyond the prodigal young pair of Lambert/Kemell -- both of whom are going to have to seriously breakout if this team is going to medal. I do like the blueline, very solid group back there if the guys up front can put some points on the board.

I love the USA though. Best blueline in the tournament. I think the top two pairings will be Sanderson/Morrow and Hughes/Faber, which is just ridiculous and, to me, hands down the best top 4 in the tourney. The center depth with a likely top 4 of Beniers/Cooley/Lucius/Savage is only shy of Canada, and strong enough both ways to outplay any team's pivots over a short tourney. I think it's going to be a terrific tourney!!

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

now he tests positive

I feel we, as a society, need to not blame people for bad things happen to them which they are not 100% in control of. Bordeleau is a college student. He has a roommate, he must go to classes, he's got to go to the cafeteria to eat. Anyone could have given him this virus at any time, and it's tragic he got sick before the WJC -- but it's not necessarily his fault. No amount of diligence can protect people 100% in a society where we must exist among other human beings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad