WJC: 2022 Sweden Roster Talk

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
I think this team could be a very unpleasant surprise for their opponents from here on. Defense looks solid enough and Wallstedt is fully capable of shutting the door completely. It’s not going to look pretty though.

Last edited:

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Eklund and Holtz should be there. Would have made a huge difference.

It's kind of a bummer that many of the best prospects in the game didn't make it to this year's WJC. I would have to imagine the date being close to so many other teams training camps played a part in that.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
You'll win, mostly because Wallstedt is good and your D more than decent. Simple as that.
Meriläinen and our D have been complete garbage.
5 or 6-1 to Sweden.

Reactions: karhukissa

Hockeyfrilla

Swe prospect fanatic
May 25, 2008
Sweden
Playing for bronze is not bad, but i feel Sweden has underperformed at U20 level for a while. I want same success here as at the U18's. Will be interesting with new coaching staff in the next tournament atleast.

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
Monten's brilliant strategy of not having a breakout strategy didn't work out. Shocking. It's hard to imagine that the idea of either tossing the puck aimlessly at a lone forward at the far blue line or having Andrae or Edvinsson skating through an entire team(with their teammates having to stop in the neutral zone) wasn't effective.
This was a weak forward group, made worse by silly roster decisions, but it's still hard to get away from the fact this was one of the worst coached teams I've seen. Just dumb.

So any assessment of player performances has to be made with that in mind. Having said that a lot of the 02 forwards haven't really developed at all the last two years; Niederbach has lost all creativity, Olausson has flatlined and seems low on hockey sense, Torgersson wasn't very good to start, Ljungman will be a solid SHLer for years but is so plain it's annoying.
As for the younger forwards I'll give Ohgren and Lekkerimaki a pass due to youth and strange usage, Rosén has the odd flash of skill but mostly just skates around avoiding contact and Lysell has skill but spends his life hanging out on the perimeter and make stupid decisions leading to lost possession.

The only forwards I liked is Magnusson for his motor, skating and ok skill. And Stakkestad for looking like the only swedish forward with both hockey sense and consistent effort.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Well, from now on at least we have a somewhat competent coach. Hävelid always makes weird roster selections, but he is a tactically competent coach with effective systems. The U18 team have 2 golds and a bronze in 3 IIHF U18 tournaments under him. At the Hlinka, Hävelid has 2 silvers and 2 bronze medals in 4 tournaments. Overall, Hävelid has done a good job and he will obviously represent an upgrade on Monten.

Hävelid is also reliant stars producing though. I doubt he would have made the gold medal game with Holtz, Raymond and Eklund declining. It does suck that we didn’t have at least two, becuase if we did we would probably have won it all this year.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
So Lekkerimäki, bit of a disappointment this tournament?
Who wasn't? Wallstedt and Andrea are the only ones I would give a passing grade this tournament, and I'm not as high on the performance of either of them as I think others are.
Sweden can still reclaim some respect in this tournament if they play a good game and take bronze, but I'm not exactly expecting it.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Who wasn't? Wallstedt and Andrea are the only ones I would give a passing grade this tournament, and I'm not as high on the performance of either of them as I think others are.
Sweden can still reclaim some respect in this tournament if they play a good game and take bronze, but I'm not exactly expecting it.

But still, Lekkerimäki has been praised a whole lot. Even if Kemell has a really bad shot accuracy i consider him as the better prospect for now and therefor i'm quite shocked Lekkerimäki wasn't able to create anything worth mentioning considering his draft pick.

Depending on the goalies performances. If Czechias goalie can match Wallstedts performance i also believe that they can upset in the bronze medal game.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Lots of blame to go around.
Let's not sugar coat it, Lekkerimaki Had a very disappointing tournament, As did a ton of Swedish forwards.
He does get a pretty significant pass considering he is only 17 years old.
That being said, I will say this, Lekkerimaki looked apparently dynamic in the Pre-tourney games, He also ripped the last u17 Tourney apart.
He plays that first game, and after 1 period, 1 PERIOD, He gets taken off the 2nd line, and 1st PP Unit for the ENTIRE TOURNEY.
Absolutely Killing his confidence. The coaching was absolutely abysmal, They had no clue what they were doing

Reactions: Hockeyfrilla

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Translation?

They are not that satisfied with his era as a coach. But Södergren points out that Montén rarely had the best players available under his period and that he considers that to be something new for Swedish hockey, that some players are already competing in NHL so early and therefor not able to build the best possible team.
Granqvist thinks he's (Montén) been too weak in those deciding moments. His coaching during an actual game, to tweak some things etc, to be able to be in the winning end.
Södergren thinks that this roster should have been able to be better than this as well.

But, both seem to think he's been okay if he wins the bronze. His era as a coach that is. Even if they believe and hope that Sweden should be better than one silver, one bronze and perhaps another bronze overall in these last 10 years.
Fourth place? If that's the case, then they claim that they would be dissatisfied with Montén as coach.
Granqvist thinks that they haven't been having that winning it-factor in someway and that the Swedish system should or could reevaluate some things and include teaching out mentality aspects of the game in their development years or "Swedish hockey school system". That they can become winners, which haven't been the case these last ten years.
Overall Granqvist thinks zero gold medals in ten years at the the WJC's is too bad for a country like Sweden.

Last edited:
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012

"Not having our best players is new to us, that's why we lost". New since when exactly?

Södergren is a studio dinasaur.

The big problem is not a lack of medals. It's the lack of a game plan, structure and match coaching. We still had five 1st round forwards on this roster (and left another one at home) but no offensive game whatsoever. The outcome of todays game means nothing for Monténs legacy.

Last edited:

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
"Not having our best players is new to us, that's why we lost". New since when exactly?

Södergren is a studio dinasaur.
I got a bit confused as well. It's almost like he's forgot that players like Erik Karlsson, Hedman and a lot of others were prospects back then.
Not to mention Adam Larsson etc. Who imho never reached his great potential. Had a bit bad luck of playing in organizations as NJ (at the time) and Oilers.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Lots of blame to go around.
Let's not sugar coat it, Lekkerimaki Had a very disappointing tournament, As did a ton of Swedish forwards.
He does get a pretty significant pass considering he is only 17 years old.
That being said, I will say this, Lekkerimaki looked apparently dynamic in the Pre-tourney games, He also ripped the last u17 Tourney apart.
He plays that first game, and after 1 period, 1 PERIOD, He gets taken off the 2nd line, and 1st PP Unit for the ENTIRE TOURNEY.
Absolutely Killing his confidence. The coaching was absolutely abysmal, They had no clue what they were doing
Why do Canucks fans love calling Lekkerimäki 17? He turned 18 last month. Seen plenty of Nucks fans since who want to go on about how he's 17. Also: U18, not U17.

Reactions: Svedu

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad