GDT: 2022 NLDS: (1) Los Angeles Dodgers vs (5) San Diego Padres

LA vs SD

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
I heard the Dodgers won 111 games in the regular season, surely they're winning it all right?

southsideIrish

Nov 23, 2019
One of Saturn's moons
Dave Roberts is gonna get fired.

Every post season, he gets out managed all the damn time. He mismanages his bullpen like Dusty Baker aka San Francisco Giants era.

Over 100 wins how many times? And 1 ring to show for it? No, it’s time to fire him.
And the one ring was in basically a glorified 60-game exhibition season.

Another colossal choke. Media slobbered all over them all season like they were invincible.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
I'll be an interesting off season for the Dodgers. Do they keep Turner or go after someone like Correa or Bogaerts?
Go after Judge and kick Bellinger to the curb?
Maybe Verlander but I would just stick with Kershaw because 1 year vs multi year deal that Verlander wants. Plus come playoffs, seem equal.
Maybe a little tampering wink wink...someone gets into Arenado's ear and he opts out for a big deal.

Also I'm such a curse, I assumed Braves, Dodgers, Yankees would move on. Obviously Yankees still alive. Never predict Astros series, only hope for them to win.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
No way Dave Roberts survives this.

The Dodgers did win it all in 2020 but that season is the biggest asterisk in baseball history.

This new playoff format is achieving what MLB wanted - we have already seen 2 #1 seeds wiped out in the LDS and the Yankees are in big trouble.

kingsholygrail

Predictable 1-2
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I was saying the Dodgers were coming in too cold at the end there.
JrMIdni.gif

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Derek Jeter once said: "The best teams make the playoffs, and the hottest teams win in the playoffs".

Seems to describe the Dodgers from the last several years.

Reactions: bambamcam4ever

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I enjoy when the local sports team does something and I get to feel an undeserved sense of accomplishment.

Definitely unexpected that the Padres won. Bullpen did a tremendous job in the series.

For the sake of the rivalry, I think it'll be good that SD finally got a win. Dodgers are still the 2,000 pound gorilla of the division, so they'll undoubtedly be in the hunt again next season.

I went up to LA in August to watch a Padres/Dodgers game with my cousin. Had lunch beforehand and I remember overhearing a guy at another table saying how the Padres didn't have the character needed to win unlike the Dodgers. I had to bite my tongue from just telling the guy that the Dodgers had a deeper team. [/coolstorybro]

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I'll be an interesting off season for the Dodgers. Do they keep Turner or go after someone like Correa or Bogaerts?
Go after Judge and kick Bellinger to the curb?
Maybe Verlander but I would just stick with Kershaw because 1 year vs multi year deal that Verlander wants. Plus come playoffs, seem equal.
Maybe a little tampering wink wink...someone gets into Arenado's ear and he opts out for a big deal.

Also I'm such a curse, I assumed Braves, Dodgers, Yankees would move on. Obviously Yankees still alive. Never predict Astros series, only hope for them to win.
I expect the Dodgers to once again go balls out.

Turner will be allowed to walk (probably the right move, his entire game is based on speed and is turning 30 while already being an awful defender) and they'll probably do one of two things.

- sign one of the premium free agents to replace Turner (Correa being the most likely) and likely trade Gavin Lux for help elsewhere.

- keep Lux and move him to short full time and go absolutely all in by acquiring the mother of all names in Shohei Ohtani, which the Dodgers were apparently evaluating that possibility already when his name came up in the summer.

The Dodgers have never been one to rest on their laurels and are one of a very select few that can both put together a good package and afford the likely record shattering deal Shohei will get.

At that point it's basically someone's Diamond Dynasty squad run amok if they actually do that some

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Roberts shouldnt have taken Anderson out so early. He was throwing well.

It was unlikely Anderson would have made it to the 7th when the comeback started. Unless the assumption here is that Chris Martin wouldn't have gotten into the same hole as Tommy Kahnle.

Just looking at Anderson's limited splits this season and hitters were OPSing .603 the second time through the lineup and then .702 the third time. So perhaps they were just concerned about Soto-Machado-Drury getting a third AB against him.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
It was unlikely Anderson would have made it to the 7th when the comeback started. Unless the assumption here is that Chris Martin wouldn't have gotten into the same hole as Tommy Kahnle.

Just looking at Anderson's limited splits this season and hitters were OPSing .603 the second time through the lineup and then .702 the third time. So perhaps they were just concerned about Soto-Machado-Drury getting a third AB against him.
I dont think of he would have gotten to the 7th, but Roberts has a propensity of taking his starters out way too early (see game 2 of the 2017 World Series with Rich Hill) bumping his relievers up an inning and over using them. I would let him start the 6th. Just another panic move by Roberts.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I dont think of he would have gotten to the 7th, but Roberts has a propensity of taking his starters out way too early (see game 2 of the 2017 World Series with Rich Hill) bumping his relievers up an inning and over using them. I would let him start the 6th. Just another panic move by Roberts.

I definitely don't disagree with you. Roberts still lives in San Diego, so I have a friend of a friend who knows him. I don't want to say that he follows a script per se, but decisions like that are done with various people in the Dodgers braintrust. I suppose it comes with the territory for being the manager that he'll get all of the criticism.

It's a tough spot, they won 111 games using a particular set of tactics then things didn't work out in a short series.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad