2022 NHL Entry Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Who are peoples 3rd round targets? I think I've settled on Paul Ludwinski. Love his playstyle and think it'll translate well to the NHL.

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
Seems like most people here are high on Mateychuk, but I have some questions about the translatability of his game.

From what I’ve seen from him, he needs a lot of work defensively. Often I’ve seen him losing his position on the ice and struggling while defending in transition. Also seems to lack that real competitiveness and grit compared to a Rasmus Sandin, for example.

Also his skating is talked about as a major strength and some have compared him to Makar, but I don’t see the elite top end speed there of a Makar or even a Morgan Rielly. He seems to be more agile than anything and his forward acceleration is impressive, yet going backwards he seems quite average.

Don’t get me wrong, I see the appeal there. These are just questions I have about him.
Thats the thing about who’s available at 25. If they had all their flaws worked out they’d likely go top 10 or 5 for that matter. You take the guy with the best tools and hopefully flaws that can be improved upon. If they feel that’s Denton, then great!

I’ve seen some mixed reviews of his D, with some being very negative and some pointing to some good aspects as well. I have high hopes for him personally.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
He’s one of the best skaters in the draft and worth taking a chance on depending on who else is there in the 3rd.
Yeah his skating is one of the first things you notice about him but I just love his hustle on the forecheck and on the backcheck and how he doesn't give his guy space when he's defending and takes the body instead of swinging his stick at them and skating by. I think he still has some untapped offensive potential as well because he performed well during the playoffs this year and I feel like a lot of OHL guys might get overlooked because they didn't play any games last year. Blows my mind people out there actually think Wright shouldn't go 1st overall over Slafkovsky.

Reactions: Green Snow Storm

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
Yeah his skating is one of the first things you notice about him but I just love his hustle on the forecheck and on the backcheck and how he doesn't give his guy space when he's defending and takes the body instead of swinging his stick at them and skating by. I think he still has some untapped offensive potential as well because he performed well during the playoffs this year and I feel like a lot of OHL guys might get overlooked because they didn't play any games last year. Blows my mind people out there actually think Wright shouldn't go 1st overall over Slafkovsky.
Agreed, Wright and Cooley should both go before Slavkovsly.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019

I agree with Dubas we just need to draft best player. There’s no need to rush anyone into the NHL.

This draft is probably going to have some later round Russians in the future be draft steals. I think teams will be avoiding Russians and some team is going to get a good one late.

For the prospect experts what has happened to Brad Lambert? He seems to keep dropping in the rankings throughout the year.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I agree with Dubas we just need to draft best player. There’s no need to rush anyone into the NHL.

This draft is probably going to have some later round Russians in the future be draft steals. I think teams will be avoiding Russians and some team is going to get a good one late.

For the prospect experts what has happened to Brad Lambert? He seems to keep dropping in the rankings throughout the year.

Simply answer: He sucked.

Slightly longer answer: He has a ton of skill, which is why he is still a guy who could very well go in the top half of the draft, but he has a ton of flaws (and some are major red flags, like his ability to make proper reads).

I hope a team above us drafts him, because I don't see the Leafs taking a chance on him. We don't draft guys who are pure skill and lack basic intangibles.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Simply answer: He sucked.

Slightly longer answer: He has a ton of skill, which is why he is still a guy who could very well go in the top half of the draft, but he has a ton of flaws (and some are major red flags, like his ability to make proper reads).

I hope a team above us drafts him, because I don't see the Leafs taking a chance on him. We don't draft guys who are pure skill and lack basic intangibles.
Doesn't he also have attitude issues and his Dad is like Paul Marner?

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
What are peoples thoughts on Maveric Lamoureux? Is he worth trading up from our 3rd rounder into the 2nd to get? 6’7 RHD, seems like a good risk to take.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan

This tweet actually made me disappointed for the draft. Not sure if that's a justified feeling but it screams Amirov over Schneider/Mercer. I know Amirov's development was unpredictably derailed but Schneider/Mercer both looked like home runs on draft day and look the same way 2 years later.

Reactions: Magic Man

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
What are peoples thoughts on Maveric Lamoureux? Is he worth trading up from our 3rd rounder into the 2nd to get? 6’7 RHD, seems like a good risk to take.
I think most of the experts around here wouldn't even draft him with the last pick in the draft. Poor skating, poor puck skills, horribly bad IQ, but he's massive so he'll be a top 60 pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad