NHL Entry Draft 2022 NHL Draft Thread - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Am I missing something re: the Sens and Geekie? Pronman's most recent mock only says "some buzz linking them to the Winnipeg ICE kids in Savoie and Conor Geekie", and then he has the Sens picking Savoie.
I'd be really happy with Savoie. You can go small if you have no small forwards and can surround them with size and physicality. This team needs game breaking skill that's what this prospect pool is missing. I want them to target that with this pick. Savoie fits the bill when picking in this range. So does Lekkerimaki, Kemell, Ostlund, Nasar etc. Players like Geekie, Kasper and to lesser extent Gauthier while likely being solid NHLers provide alot of what this team already has in the lineup and prospect pool. The sens have their centers they don't need to over value the position. Drafting a winger is fine.

Reactions: DJB

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
So...what does Geekie have besides size and being a center? From what I've been reading (haven't watched the kid) there seems to be a lot of excuses flying around and lots of "maybes". The kid is raw, and has a ton of development runway which is nice...but that's also a risk. Not everyone who is raw on draft day ends up bursting through their ceiling like Zibanejad did.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I'd be really happy with Savoie. You can go small if you have no small forwards and can surround them with size and physicality. This team needs game breaking skill that's what this prospect pool is missing. I want them to target that with this pick. Savoie fits the bill when picking in this range. So does Lekkerimaki, Kemell, Ostlund, Nasar etc. Players like Geekie, Kasper and to lesser extent Gauthier while likely being solid NHLers provide alot of what this team already has in the lineup and prospect pool. The sens have their centers they don't need to over value the position. Drafting a winger is fine.
I keep reading people being down on Savoie, he still seems like a solid prospect to me, but bob having him listed at 5'9 and him being a faller in the rankings makes me think we'll shy away from him

Reactions: Cosmix and bert

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
So...what does Geekie have besides size and being a center? From what I've been reading (haven't watched the kid) there seems to be a lot of excuses flying around and lots of "maybes". The kid is raw, and has a ton of development runway which is nice...but that's also a risk. Not everyone who is raw on draft day ends up bursting through their ceiling like Zibanejad did.

Getzlaf slipping to the Ducks in 2003 has gotten a lot of big playmaking centres with unconvincing skating and compete overdrafted.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I keep reading people being down on Savoie, he still seems like a solid prospect to me, but bob having him listed at 5'9 and him being a faller in the rankings makes me think we'll shy away from him
Yeah he isn't very big, personally I want them to pick Lekkerimaki he has as much offensive awareness and pure skill as anyone in this draft. However the point I am trying to make is the sens current depth and past drafts have put them in a position that they can draft a winger and they can draft a skill guy even if he is undersized. Savoie isn't my first choice but I wouldnt be upset about it either. I really want them to stay away from Kasper, not in love with Gauthier. Strong physical gifts but I don't see elite level offensive instincts from either.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI

I actually like Savoie as a prospect and wouldnt be mad at all if they drafted him. He is just the complete opposite of everything we have valued in drafting the last number of years

Reactions: Laphroaig

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
It’s annoying that Columbus can get a season immediately out of 90A and we are potentially getting nothing out of Greig D+3, Boucher D+2, and 7OA this year …

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
After reading the threads about the potential picks, I hope we get one of the following in this order of preference:

Wright
Slafkovsky
Cooley
Nemec
Jiricek
Gauthier
Kemell

Reactions: Alex1234

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
To be fair, CBJ isnt great at developing their drafted players.

I trust Ottawa more on the development paths.

Agreed … but at some point some first rounder we draft outside the top 4OA needs to play for this org …

Not one full season from

JBD
Lassi
Greig
Sanderson
Boucher

Reactions: TheDebater

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Agreed … but at some point some first rounder we draft outside the top 4OA needs to play for this org …

Not one full season from

JBD
Lassi
Greig
Sanderson
Boucher

Eh, JBD is in the same boat as all but two guys drafted from 24-37 his draft year
Lassi is in the same range of GP as all but 4 guys taken 18-39
Greig is in the same situation of <10 gp as all but one guy drafted 22 to then end of the draft,
Boucher hasn't become a full time NHL player, just like all but 2 guys taken that draff who haven't played more than 10 games

Sanderson went the college route, nothing wrong with that, but he'd likely have played this year had he not.

Reactions: Ice-Tray and Deku

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Eh, JBD is in the same boat as all but two guys drafted from 24-37 his draft year
Lassi is in the same range of GP as all but 4 guys taken 18-39
Greig is in the same situation of <10 gp as all but one guy drafted 22 to then end of the draft,
Boucher hasn't become a full time NHL player, just like all but 2 guys taken that draff who haven't played more than 10 games

Sanderson went the college route, nothing wrong with that, but he'd likely have played this year had he not.

Zero seasons for these guys - that’s all I’m saying . Rangers just got a full season out of Schneider who many here had as a second rounder … we don’t have any production from our first picks other than Brady, Chabot, and Stutzle for the last ten years or so.

It’s a problem for an org who’s primary form of talent acquisition is the draft.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Zero seasons for these guys - that’s all I’m saying . Rangers just got a full season out of Schneider who many here had as a second rounder … we don’t have any production from our first picks other than Brady, Chabot, and Stutzle for the last ten years or so.

It’s a problem for an org who’s primary form of talent acquisition is the draft.
It's not a race to start their career, the guys we picked are progressing in line with where they were drafted with perhaps the exception of Boucher. Norris didn't crack the roster till his 4th season after being drafted, he's our top center right now. D tend to take a bit longer.

I'd much rather these guys ripen before burning years off their ELC, Sanderson might be the exception there as I think he's going to be in for a monster deal coming off his ELC anyways.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
It's not a race to start their career, the guys we picked are progressing in line with where they were drafted with perhaps the exception of Boucher. Norris didn't crack the roster till his 4th season after being drafted, he's our top center right now. D tend to take a bit longer.

I'd much rather these guys ripen before burning years off their ELC, Sanderson might be the exception there as I think he's going to be in for a monster deal coming off his ELC anyways.

You’re missing the point - orgs like ours need more useful playing time out of their first round picks beyond the 3 years we’ve got from a Brady and the 5+ from Chabot …

That’s all … you’re welcome to disagree that we don’t need more contribution.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
You’re missing the point - orgs like ours need more useful playing time out of their first round picks beyond the 3 years we’ve got from a Brady and the 5+ from Chabot …

That’s all … you’re welcome to disagree that we don’t need more contribution.
Orgs like us need to develop players into their potential, how long it takes is only relevant in that you want them there contributing when the team reaches it's window.

JBD, Greig and Thomson playing last year or earlier does nothing for us in the grand scheme of things. Not seeing the need to rush guys, and you haven't really made any compelling argument for it. They'll contribute when they are sufficiently developed, which shouldn't be much longer as all three look ready to challenge for roster spots.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
I get what @Sweatred is saying, although not really a relevant argument to our unique situation, all he is saying is it would be nice if we hit on some draft picks that needed less than a year to get NHL ready regardless of circumstances.

Then again, it might just be what @Micklebot is saying and that it has nothing to do with the player not being capable but rather the organization taking the cautious route.

It is possible if drafted by another team that JBD, Lassi, Greig, Sanderson etc. would have already been full time NHL players.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I get what @Sweatred is saying, although not really a relevant argument to our unique situation, all he is saying is it would be nice if we hit on some draft picks that needed less than a year to get NHL ready regardless of circumstances.

Then again, it might just be what @Micklebot is saying and that it has nothing to do with the player not being capable but rather the organization taking the cautious route.

It is possible if drafted by another team that JBD, Lassi, Greig, Sanderson etc. would have already been full time NHL players.

Agreed …heck, less than 5 years would be nice. i think D+2 should be a target for a mid first rounder … you would like 7OA and 10OA contributing before too long … the longer and longer we have to wait just shortens the time they can contribute before they hit 27/28 years old and UFA …

We’re up to D+5 on JBD … it’s fine to wait and develop a prospect. While we’ve been waiting on JBD the Rangers already injected good years out of Schneider and Miller and we have nothing from JBD, Lassi, or Sanderson.

JBD will be 4 years away from UFA at the end of this year. (23 on June 30 eligible at 27 years old ?) We will have developed him for 5 years and he may not play 5 years for us.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

I mean, Brady and Stutzle contributed immediately, so it's not like picks aren't contributing. Hayton just cracked Arizona this year (drafted two spots after Brady) and the rangers are still wayting on Kravstov. Byfield hasn't made an impact yet, neither have a bunch of guys from 2020. we got our immediate help with some picks, and are taking a more measured approach with others.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I mean, Brady and Stutzle contributed immediately, so it's not like picks aren't contributing. Hayton just cracked Arizona this year (drafted two spots after Brady) and the rangers are still wayting on Kravstov. Byfield hasn't made an impact yet, neither have a bunch of guys from 2020. we got our immediate help with some picks, and are taking a more measured approach with others.

We got Contribution form 4OA and 3OA … beyond Chabot … nothing else.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
It’s annoying that Columbus can get a season immediately out of 90A and we are potentially getting nothing out of Greig D+3, Boucher D+2, and 7OA this year …
Don’t forget jbd D+5 Thomson D+4. We do seem to over marinate these guys.

Reactions: Sweatred

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Orgs like us need to develop players into their potential, how long it takes is only relevant in that you want them there contributing when the team reaches it's window.

JBD, Greig and Thomson playing last year or earlier does nothing for us in the grand scheme of things. Not seeing the need to rush guys, and you haven't really made any compelling argument for it. They'll contribute when they are sufficiently developed, which shouldn't be much longer as all three look ready to challenge for roster spots.

The argument isn’t to rush players - it’s to draft players that can contribute in the NHL.

We have a talent acquisition problem and when we look at ten years of drafting first rounders and see only 4OA and Chabot contributing we are not getting everything we could from the draft.

Timmy’s there but he came from SJ and is a virtual can’t miss in a stacked 2020 draft at 3OA.

the tribute

May 10, 2011
I'd say, if player we are targeting is taken, trade 7OV (with our without Murray) for a decent top 4D and high 1st round pick (19-25 range) and pick Jagger Firkus.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The argument isn’t to rush players - it’s to draft players that can contribute in the NHL.

We have a talent acquisition problem and when we look at ten years of drafting first rounders and see only 4OA and Chabot contributing we are not getting everything we could from the draft.

Timmy’s there but he came from SJ and is a virtual can’t miss in a stacked 2020 draft at 3OA.
It kind of is to rush players when you compare the guys we took to alternative options available at that spot. you can cherry pick the one or two guys in range that have already started producing, but aside from a couple guys here and there, our guys are coming along similar to the alternatives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad