NHL Entry Draft 2022 NHL Draft Thread - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I'd be *shocked* if the Sens went with a Logan Brown redux. Also we are definitely a team that looks at risers not fallers. Logan Brown may have fallen on draft day but the word going into the draft was him as a riser over the year.

Our profile for drafting in the 1st is usually fast, competitive players who are risers and have decent size.
Doesn’t look like Geekie and brown are similar at all

Reactions: aragorn

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
The hate for Geekie is really strange, he seems like a fine prospect to me? I think he sees the game very well, and I think he appears slower than he actually is because of his size. His slowness is very exaggerated in my opinion, and it's not bad enough to a point where he can't substantially improve it. If anything by biggest concern with him would be his compete level, which is inconsistent at best. With that being said, I don't see him as a Senators draft pick, because they typically like guys with good motors who are involved in the play at all times. I agree that Kasper is much more fitting for Ottawa's identity.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
I prefer when the Sens go off the board rather than take a 'consensus' guy. Shows me that they at least have strong opinions, regardless of whether they end up being right or wrong.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Senators fans who are concerned about who the team might pick this year because we took Boucher last year are not looking at this correctly.

Geekie and Boucher could not be more different types of players, regardless of their perceived ceiling.

Boucher might seem like he is lacking the "toolbox" but he most certainly has excellent tools such as his skating, speed, physicality and an excellent release. That to me is why the Senators picked him last year, he plays the game at a high intensity level and that to me is more the type of player they will be looking to draft agains this year.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
The hate for Geekie is really strange, he seems like a fine prospect to me? I think he sees the game very well, and I think he appears slower than he actually is because of his size. His slowness is very exaggerated in my opinion, and it's not bad enough to a point where he can't substantially improve it. If anything by biggest concern with him would be his compete level, which is inconsistent at best. With that being said, I don't see him as a Senators draft pick, because they typically like guys with good motors who are involved in the play at all times. I agree that Kasper is much more fitting for Ottawa's identity.

You just described Logan Brown. Which is why people are concerned.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I'd be *shocked* if the Sens went with a Logan Brown redux. Also we are definitely a team that looks at risers not fallers. Logan Brown may have fallen on draft day but the word going into the draft was him as a riser over the year.

Our profile for drafting in the 1st is usually fast, competitive players who are risers and have decent size.

A huge reason we chose Logan is because of familiarity with him. He was at the Sens arena training and working out well before the draft

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
This is pretty much exactly what the scouting report on Logan Brown was. Guys who get by mostly on their size in the CHL really scare me.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
For consensus ranking fans

15 sources is too many.

Including objectively terrible outlier rankings from guys like Scouch and Wheeler are just going to shift the consensus away from where more reputable and better scouts think it is.

McKenzie's list is all the consensus that is needed. It's the most accurate year in and year out at predicting the 1st round.

Reactions: Six Assets

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
More Bobby

I think the variance on this draft is going to be considerable
If we take Bob's list vs Button's list as an example of the type of variance we can see; (just a few examples)

PlayerBobCraig
Snuggerud178
Pickering2313
Kasper1017
Ostlund2230
Goyette4522
Firkus3416
Shaefer3720
Geekie1329
Nazar1525

15 sources is too many.

Including objectively terrible outlier rankings from guys like Scouch and Wheeler are just going to shift the consensus away from where more reputable and better scouts think it is.

McKenzie's list is all the consensus that is needed. It's the most accurate year in and year out at predicting the 1st round.
so not a fan I get that... there are some though some people like them.. Don't like don't look and don't preach.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Looking at the last 4 years under Mann, I'd rank their priorities relative to other scouting staffs something like:

1. Size
2. Draft year riser
3. Speed
4. Physicality
5. Intangibles

Geekie only meets 1 of these criteria, maybe 2.

Kasper and Gauthier (our most likely picks by far IMO) have at least 4 if not all 5.

Mintyukov, Bichsel, Ohgren, Korchinski and McGroarty are darkhorses that fit a lot of these as well.

Reactions: OgieO

Ouroboros

Feb 3, 2008
Looking at the last 4 years under Mann, I'd rank their priorities relative to other scouting staffs something like:

1. Size
2. Draft year riser
3. Speed
4. Physicality
5. Intangibles

Kasper and Gauthier (our most likely picks by far IMO) have at least 4 if not all 5.

Mintyukov, Bichsel, Ohgren, Korchinski and McGroarty are darkhorses that fit a lot of these as well.
Brad Allen from HockeyProspect specifically mentioned Bichsel and McGroarty as guys he thinks are going to go much higher than people think and could be dark horses for the the Sens at 7.

Reactions: Lundmark17

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

1. Size
2. Draft year riser
3. Speed
4. Physicality
5. Intangibles

Where are puckhandling and shooting?

My order of preferences regarding skills are:
1. Skating (acceleration, top end speed, edge work)
2. Puckhandling (stickhandling & passing)
3. Shooting
4. Physicality (including size)

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Final Craig's List

6 David Jiricek Plzen (CZE)

7 Cutter Gauthier USA U-18 (USHL)

8 Jimmy Snuggerud USA U-18 (USHL)

9 Jonathan Lekkerimaki Djurgardens (SWE J-20)

10 Kevin Korchinski Seattle (WHL)

11 Pavel Mintyukov Saginaw (OHL)

I don't mind those first five guys & would add Geekie at 11th. Strength down the middle is a real thing & Ottawa has plenty of good forwards to fill the wings. I'm still hoping for Jiricek & Gauthier with Lekkerimaki next if those first two are gone, but I would be fine with Geekie, Snuggerud or Korchinski, any of them would improve our team IMO. Geekie reminds me of a Couturier lite & has a lot more jam than Logan Brown who's head wasn't into it here. IMO there are differences between most of the prospects from 7th to 15th but everyone picking within this range should end up with a good player & Geekie is in this range. A little surprised Snuggerud moved up so far, but he is another potentially good prospect who will help a team.

Last edited:

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Geekie needs some work on his skating. His stride is awkward and he doesn’t get enough bend in his knees. This leaves him with below-average acceleration and top-end speed..Sokolov is a better skater and better offensively. WTF!!

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
From that TSN article, it sounds to me like Kaspar most fits with the Sens vision for the type of player they like in this build.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
More Bobby

I think the variance on this draft is going to be considerable
If we take Bob's list vs Button's list as an example of the type of variance we can see; (just a few examples)

PlayerBobCraig
Snuggerud178
Pickering2313
Kasper1017
Ostlund2230
Goyette4522
Firkus3416
Shaefer3720
Geekie1329
Nazar1525

so not a fan I get that... there are some though some people like them.. Don't like don't look and don't preach.

There are some pretty large descrepancies between Bob & Craig with this yr's draft class which could mean these prospects could be interchanged between 7 & 15th place & 16th to 32th & beyond.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
There are some pretty large descrepancies between Bob & Craig with this yr's draft class which could mean these prospects could be interchanged between 7 & 15th place & 16th to 32th & beyond.

There are always significant differences between the two. Bob is polling scouts to get a consensus while Craig is giving his personal list.

Ouroboros

Feb 3, 2008
Yes sir he was on:

I love listening to Allen. He sold me on Kasper. I'm surprised he didn't talk much about Cutter Gauthier.
I think it's overwhelmingly likely that Gauthier won't be available to us, so not much point in doing a deep dive there.

Reactions: Dionysus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad