Prospect Info: 2022 NHL Draft Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
@StevenToddIves , out of all the prospects you did reviews on, which one of them do you believe the Devils should draft out of everyone?

(and I'm not mentioning Wright because the Devils are not going to be bad enough to get him)

Slafkovsky or Jiricek, with Nemec not too far behind.

Slafkovsky is a rare player with incredible skill but also a significant power element -- which the Devils desperately need. Slafkovsky on a line with Hughes and Bratt would represent the perfect blend of skill, while the amount of room Slafkovsky could create for those two down low would greatly accentuate Hughes and Bratt's speed and ability.

Jiricek would solve the problem at RD and offer a rare package of a unforgivingly physical defender who can also accumulate excellent offensive numbers; the idea of a LD/RD pairing of Hughes and Jiricek is intoxicating -- a 6'3 thunder and 6'2 lightning dup with one of the best skaters and puck-handlers in the world lined up alongside a shut-down, hitting machine with a howitzer of a shot.

Nemec is just a steady defender who is so good at transitioning and passing the puck, he'd also immediately help alleviate the Devils organizational weakness at RD -- one which is soon to be greatly exacerbated by the impending loss of Subban this year and Severson the following one.

If the Devils drop in the draft to the #8-#10 range, they might lose the chance to get one of these three, but there are other players who could really help. Cutter Gauthier and Danila Yurov in particular are both interior forwards with power elements and scoring abilities who could produce in the top 6. My personal favorite 2022 draft player might be Alexander Perevalov, an incredibly skilled kid with an off-the-charts compete level who may be available as late as the end the first round -- I'd love to see the Devils find a way to grab him, too.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I'm going to take a guess that his #1 choice is Slafkovsky. He's mentioned several players he loves already though.

Yes, probably Slafkovsky. The problem with this is the Devils would still have the dearth at RD, which makes me a bit moony for Jiricek. A dream scenario would have the Devils taking Jiricek and then getting a second pick late in the first round to take Perevalov, which would give the Devils a high end option at both RD and LW. Slafkovsky and a later first round pick of RD Ryan Chesley would be even superior to that, but you're going to need a pick before #20 to get Chesley.

Reactions: glenwo2

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

RW/C Daniil Bourosh, Rouyn-Noranda QMJHL

Here's another player who is completely off the draft radar, but I'm extremely high on him -- I feel this might represent one of the better sleepers for the final three rounds of the draft. Daniil Bourosh is in the conversation for the best product out of Belarus for the 2022 draft. He's a big, physical kid at 6'1-190 who plays with serious edge and features an absolutely outstanding shot. I find it difficult to believe no major draft rankers have given him any love because this is a player who can wreak havoc on the interior and down low while also blast the puck clean past quality goalies, even from beyond the circles. He is absolutely certain to be on my rankings when I extend my list to 64 players in the early spring.

It is important to note that Bourosh is playing on a fairly awful Rouyn-Noranda squad. Though his 14 goals and 10 assists do not jump out at you as eye-popping numbers, we must take into account that this is a team which struggles mightily to score and the Belarussan's 14 goals lead his team at this point. He's also achieving this as one of the youngest members of the team (April '04 birthdate) and still acclimating to North American hockey, struggling to learn the language spoken by all of his teammates and coaches. Sometimes we do not appreciate how difficult it is for the European youngsters who come overseas to the CHL, especially when they are not from nations like Finland and Sweden which have a more Western culture where English is commonly and fluently used.

Bourosh's skating can be described as "good for his size". He has nice top speeds, but sometimes it takes him awhile to get there. His stride is a bit awkward mechanically, and if a good NHL skating coach can clean up his stride I feel he has potential as an above-average NHL skater. Bourosh has a very good compete level, and he loves to raise hell on the forecheck and bang bodies along the boards. I'd say his hockey sense is good, though he prefers a north/south style of play. Still, he's a passable passer and puck handler -- though clearly his preference is to get into position where he can unleash his absolute bomb of a shot. I'd rank all of Bourosh's shots as terrific -- his wrist shot is a laser beam, his slapper is heavy and lethal. Bourosh's best shot is probably a quick and efficient snap shot which has extraordinary power and is very difficult to stop when he he has but a moment to get it off inside the circles.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Bourosh's combination of power in his game and power in his shot gives him very real middle 6 upside at the NHL level. He's got several areas to work on, and he's certainly a bit of a diamond in the rough. His defensive positioning needs work, his skating stride needs to be cleaned up, he can get frustrated by shrewd defensive schemes in transition. But, seeing as no one has ranked him in their top 100, I don't think you have to really worry about it too early -- this is a kid who should be available in the 4th/5th rounds and possibly even later. He's a power forward who can blast the puck and he skates well with a possibility of skating even better. This is a real sleeper with serious NHL potential.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

LW Jakub Hujer, Rouyn-Noranda QMJHL

Jakub Hujer has gotten a bit of attention from scouts, which probably has a lot to do with the fact he's 6'3-200 and skates decently. Central Scouting ranked him #56 in North America, despite mediocre numbers (19 points in 33 games) for a forward on a poor Rouyn-Noranda squad. The young Czech winger has a few intriguing skills -- he's got some nice stick handling moves, some intriguing passing acumen and a heavy shot. But the real reason he will likely hear his name called on draft day is that he is huge and likes to absolutely crush the opposition with his tremendous man-strength.

Hujer is probably utilized as a "defensive forward", and although he is outstanding in one-on-one battles anywhere on the ice, his positioning needs a ton of refinement. Under heavy offensive pressure, sometimes Hujer can get caught puck chasing and skating around like a chicken with a blindfold. But he certainly shows some potential here, as he's mobile and ridiculously strong, with a very good compete level and work ethic.

Offensively, I don't think we'll ever see him on an NHL top 6. Hujer has the offensive ability to be more than just a thug on skates, but he's just not consistent enough in his offense that he's ever going to be a huge point-producer. I think we're ideally talking about a defensively responsible, hard-hitting kid for your 4th line who can chip in with maybe 10+ goals or 20+ points.

I think Hujer is likely to be taken higher than his consensus ranking, because there are several NHL front offices which covet his style of play. I could easily see the Senators or Ducks or Islanders taking him as high as the 4th round. If he lasts until the 6th/7th rounds -- which is possible -- I think Jakub Hujer is a good pick for any team wishing to address and improve their organizational physicality.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
In other draft news, has anyone noticed that Arizona has overtaken (undertaken?) Montreal for the top draft slot? Both of these teams are absolutely desperate for a Shane Wright, so it should be an intriguing battle to follow as the season wears down.

The Devils have dropped from the #4 slot to the #6 slot. This likely gives them no chance at Slafkovsky, but still a strong chance one of the Big 2 RD (Jiricek/Nemec) falls there. If the Devils continue to climb with a (finally) mostly-healthy lineup, it certainly clouds things. Looking at the standings, I'd have to peg the Devils final draft position at somewhere between #5 and #8, with a very slight chance of moving up to #4 or down to #9.

Reactions: Guttersniped

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
In other draft news, has anyone noticed that Arizona has overtaken (undertaken?) Montreal for the top draft slot? Both of these teams are absolutely desperate for a Shane Wright, so it should be an intriguing battle to follow as the season wears down.

The Devils have dropped from the #4 slot to the #6 slot. This likely gives them no chance at Slafkovsky, but still a strong chance one of the Big 2 RD (Jiricek/Nemec) falls there. If the Devils continue to climb with a (finally) mostly-healthy lineup, it certainly clouds things. Looking at the standings, I'd have to peg the Devils final draft position at somewhere between #5 and #8, with a very slight chance of moving up to #4 or down to #9.

I hope neither of them win #1.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I hope neither of them win #1.

I'd like to see Wright in Montreal -- it's a marquee market for a marquee player. A 1/2 center punch of Wright and Suzuki is potentially lethal, and the Canadiens have several other good young pieces coming along like Caufield, Guhle, Mysak and Romanov.

I agree on Arizona -- that front office has been a horror show for years, and it might take a few more to recover from the horror show which is John Chayka. The market is also fragile, no one needs Shane Wright more than this team, but I think what's good for the Coyotes would be bad for Shane Wright.

It would be nice to me if Seattle got Wright, they could really build a great team around a 1/2 center punch of Wright and Beniers and I really like that burgeoning hockey market.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas

This gives me weird 2020 vibes of getting pushed from 6 to 7 and watching Nemec and Jiricek go with the two picks before us ala Drysdale and Sanderson

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
This gives me weird 2020 vibes of getting pushed from 6 to 7 and watching Nemec and Jiricek go with the two picks before us ala Drysdale and Sanderson

I probably wrote a hundred pages on these threads before the 2020 draft about Jake Sanderson alone. The Devils fans who are easily swayed by stat-oriented snake oil salesmen were certain -- and very upset -- the Devils were going to take Sanderson at #7: but... but Byron Bader says he's not even a first-round pick! I wrote -- time and time and time again -- the Devils had no chance at Sanderson anyway, because they were drafting after Ottawa and Anaheim, either of whom would have taken Sanderson. But certain people could not wrap their heads around a team taking a player regarded so lowly by draft experts they trusted.

Not even two years later, Sanderson has a strong shot at #1 overall or at least the top 3 in a 2020 re-draft. His pick by Ottawa at #5 looks like pure genius. But the Devils did pretty well too, getting Holtz at #7 overall -- and then leaving the top LD slot open which allowed them to take Luke Hughes last year.

Meanwhile, the Byron Baders of the world are probably inventing another new stat to explain why they still think Helge Grans and Jeremie Poirier will be better than Sanderson. If one day Sanderson wins a Norris and Grans and Poirier still can't carve out regular NHL roles, instead of taking accountability for being dead wrong they will blame it on the "dinosaurs" who run the NHL.

Anyway, just reminiscing. But it's certainly true that the Devils face a possibility of picking 7 or 8 and just... just... missing out on Slafkovsky/Jiricek/Nemec. Personally, I'd be fine here if the Devils took Yurov or went off the board a bit to take Cutter Gauthier. But it's also a nerve-wracking pick because there will be temptation to take a high talent/higher risk player like Lambert or Miroschnichenko. I suppose all we can do right now is wait and see.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
If one day Sanderson wins a Norris and Grans and Poirier still can't carve out regular NHL roles, instead of taking accountability for being dead wrong they will blame it on the "dinosaurs" who run the NHL.
The problem with everything Byron Bader posts and why he never has to take any accountability is that from what he does and post he really can’t be wrong.
He’s just plugging numbers like the players size and production into his model and then he gets percentages out of it. It’s an especially bad model for predicting defensemen.
This is Sanderson’s card from the draft.

So he basically said Sanderson had a 9% chance of becoming a star and a 42% chance of becoming an NHL player (200+ games).
If Sanderson becomes a star like it looks like he will then that 9% came true. Even though I’m pretty much every single scout out there would agree that those probabilities were ridiculously low for Sanderson.
I’m also pretty sure a defensemen is considered a star based off their production in his model so that’s really stupid too.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
The problem with everything Byron Bader posts and why he never has to take any accountability is that from what he does and post he really can’t be wrong.
He’s just plugging numbers like the players size and production into his model and then he gets percentages out of it. It’s an especially bad model for predicting defensemen.
This is Sanderson’s card from the draft.

So he basically said Sanderson had a 9% chance of becoming a star and a 42% chance of becoming an NHL player (200+ games).
If Sanderson becomes a star like it looks like he will then that 9% came true. Even though I’m pretty much every single scout out there would agree that those probabilities were ridiculously low for Sanderson.
I’m also pretty sure a defensemen is considered a star based off their production in his model so that’s really stupid too.

You are 100% right here.

Out of all the "draft analysts" out there, Bader is by far the worst, in my opinion. And it's sad to me because gullible hockey fans actually pay him money to have him plug numbers into an algorithm he entirely made up which does not work at all. If you compare him to a guy like Steve Kournianos, who works his ass off to watch 1,000s of hours of film on prospects and then does everything in his power to keep his site free? Well, it's just insane -- the difference between a guy who does this out of a labor of love and a jackass who figured out a way to make a buck off other peoples' labor of love.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

LW Dylan James, Sioux City USHL
In my relentless quest to find previously unnoticed players with the potential to be draft-day gems, I bring you Dylan James. The Calgary native is an ideal combination of size (6'0-185) and high-end skating ability who combines good skills across the board offensively. He's scoring at nearly a PPG pace in a tough and defense-oriented USHL and represents a dual-offensive threat with the capacity to make flashy plays at high speeds. Somehow, he's been pretty much ignored by the majority of the scouting world, and it's tough to find much written about him by any draft analysts. But this kid has very real talent, and represents a potential great pick for the middle rounds.

James' finest attribute would have to be his skating. This kid can really hit impressive top speeds which back up an entire defense, especially considering his ability to puck handle without losing a step. He's terrific at zone entries as a result, and I would call him a potentially very good transition player. Like many players of this ilk, he can get caught trying to break in with possession and turn the puck over in some dangerous areas. I have great hope that a few years in the NCAA will see him learn to pick his spots with a bit more care, as he has high potential in this respect.

It's tough to be critical of a player for the old adage of "trying to do too much", but that's really James' biggest problem. He sometimes tries to thread passes through multiple players when a safe drop back to the point would be the better option. He's the guy who can blow past two defenders and then get beat by a third when he should've just chipped the puck in deep. But again, if this is a criticism it's one I actually don't take too seriously for a teenager because I actually like the fact James wants to make something happen every time he's on the ice. Again, it's all a matter of learning to choose when and where.

Dylan James is a good shooter and a good passer, with good compete and high intelligence. I really don't see a discernible weakness in this speedy scorer which raises any red flags for me. He certainly needs a lot of work on the defensive side of the puck, but it's not for lack of effort and he'll have several seasons at an excellent University of North Dakota program to hone his 200-foot game.

Dylan James is the kind of player I'm taking a hard look at from the 4th round on. His speed/size/skills combo alone make him extremely attractive in terms of sleeper upside, and when you add in a good effort level and hockey mind? Well, there's no reason he cannot fulfill his potential as a middle six scoring LW at the highest levels. Keep an eye on this kid, he's a terrific young talent.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

LW Alex Bump, Omaha USHL

I don't know what to make of this kid, because one game he'll look like an early second round pick and the next he'll leave you scratching your head wondering why he did pretty much everything he did. But Bump's talent level is extremely high, and though there will be a whole lot of finger-crossing if you draft him, he's the type of player with very real NHL scoring upside who can make you look like a genius for taking him in the 6th round.

Bump started the season in the Minnesota USHS circuit for Prior Lake High and absolutely shredded it for 37 goals and 68 points in just 26 games. He then moved on to the Omaha Lancers, where he has scored at a fairly impressive pace of 11 points in 14 games. My analysis is based on his play in Omaha, as I did not get to watch him in any of his high school games.

Bump offers a good combination of size and speed at 6'0-195 with very good skating ability and directional mobility. He's a flashy stickhandler who can turn defenders inside out with a litany of moves. The problem is, he's always trying to do this. Alex Bump plays hockey like a live-action video game, and when it works for him it's extremely impressive, but when it doesn't he can leave his team in a bit of a lurch. When Bump does get into shooting position, he's deadly. He's utterly mastered the "toe-drag then snap it", as he's deftly able to hold the puck out as almost a decoy, before quickly changing the angle to fool the defenders and goal-keepers. His shot is both heavy and quick on the release, and his combination of puck skills and shooting ability would have to set his upside as a 2nd line scorer at the professional level.

I'll just be straight here -- Bump needs a ton of work on his two-way game and in his decision making. This could simply be the result of having been the best player on the ice every single game in a high school league and then having to adjust to playing in the far more competitive USHL. When you're scoring 68 points in 26 games, you're pretty much allowed, and probably encouraged, to try every single dangle in your bag of tricks. But he needs to learn puck management and team play over the next few years at the University of Vermont. If he does? Well, this is an extremely talented kid.

It's tough to say how much guts it would take to draft Alex Bump in the 2nd/3rd round, though his talent dictates he belongs in that range. I would certainly take a hard look at him in the late rounds, because why not? He's probably going to be available late anyway, as no one has given him any reasonable ranking aside from Central Scouting which lists him at #69 for North American skaters.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

RW Davis Burnside, Dubuque USHL

Davis Burnside is a projectable 6'0-180 forward who skates well and forechecks hard and possesses the potential to be a bottom six forward at the professional level. He was recently traded from Des Moines -- one of the doormats of the USHL -- where he represented pretty much one-third of the team's offense. Though the Illinois native is a very good passer and features a decent shot, he is not close enough to high-end in any particular skill to ever be considered a candidate for a top 6 role at the highest levels, and going to a better team where he can play more of a support role might be beneficial to his overall development.

Burnside's best attribute is his motor, which is why I've decided to write him up. He is a high-compete player who never gives up on a puck and, though I've yet to see him in Dubuque, he was clearly the leader for his Des Moines team. However, his hockey sense, especially offensively, is a bit two-dimensional and that could set a lower ceiling in the future. He loves rushing the zone, chipping it in and winning the puck battles himself, which he is very good at, but sometimes he'd be better off making safe passes where he takes individual chances.

Defensively, I'd say Burnside is downright excellent, especially considering his age and level. He's relentless on the puck and unforgiving in his pursuit. Positionally he needs some work, but he's committed to Ohio State University in the fall and will likely have four years at the NCAA level to round out his game. He's not ranked anywhere by anyone, so he's a guy you look at in the 6th/7th rounds to add future depth to your AHL team with the hopes he can progress to the level of an NHL bottom six, defensive minded forward with a high compete level.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

LW Michael La Starza, Sioux Falls USHL

Michael La Starza is an outstanding skater, and will certainly represent one of the fastest players available from the mid-to-late rounds of the 2022 draft. His acceleration is explosive, his agility is dextrous and his top speeds are stupendous. He adds to this high end passing vision and playmaking abilities along with good puckhandling acumen which gives him very real NHL scoring-line upside. However, this is also a player with a ton of work to do over the next several years at Boston University in order to reach his considerable potential.

La Starza's speed and skating make him deadly on transition and in space, but in tightly checked battles he can be a bit predictable. La Starza's shot needs a lot of work, making him a heavily pass-first player, which his opponents are keen on. Well-coached opponents know they can back off on him outside the circles, as his shot is no threat and he'd rather not rely on it, anyway. La Starza is not small at 5'11-185, but most of his game is on the perimeter. He likes to dictate play by using his shiftiness and quickness to maneuver around with the puck until a passing lane opens, but when the defense plays him for exactly this, sometimes he's just be better off firing away and rushing the crease.

Defensively, La Starza needs work, but I'd have to say his awareness and effort levels are promising enough. I feel going to a great BU program, we will certainly see La Starza improve dramatically in the coming years. The Montreal native has to be intriguing for his speed and puck skills alone, and I feel he's been a bit overlooked with a high ranking of #96 (Draft Prospects Hockey). I'd consider him a flyer with upside from pretty much the 5th round on.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Slafkovsky or Jiricek, with Nemec not too far behind.

Slafkovsky is a rare player with incredible skill but also a significant power element -- which the Devils desperately need. Slafkovsky on a line with Hughes and Bratt would represent the perfect blend of skill, while the amount of room Slafkovsky could create for those two down low would greatly accentuate Hughes and Bratt's speed and ability.

Jiricek would solve the problem at RD and offer a rare package of a unforgivingly physical defender who can also accumulate excellent offensive numbers; the idea of a LD/RD pairing of Hughes and Jiricek is intoxicating -- a 6'3 thunder and 6'2 lightning dup with one of the best skaters and puck-handlers in the world lined up alongside a shut-down, hitting machine with a howitzer of a shot.

Nemec is just a steady defender who is so good at transitioning and passing the puck, he'd also immediately help alleviate the Devils organizational weakness at RD -- one which is soon to be greatly exacerbated by the impending loss of Subban this year and Severson the following one.

If the Devils drop in the draft to the #8-#10 range, they might lose the chance to get one of these three, but there are other players who could really help. Cutter Gauthier and Danila Yurov in particular are both interior forwards with power elements and scoring abilities who could produce in the top 6. My personal favorite 2022 draft player might be Alexander Perevalov, an incredibly skilled kid with an off-the-charts compete level who may be available as late as the end the first round -- I'd love to see the Devils find a way to grab him, too.
I’m really hoping for Slavkovskh or Jiricek . Not sure which oit of the two I’d take if both were still available with our pick

Reactions: StevenToddIves

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Would the devils consider Jiricek at 1OV if no trade down offers were available?

I'd say the Devils would trade down from #1 overall, especially considering the number of teams beneath them desperate for a franchise #1 two-way center like Shane Wright has the potential to become.

Arizona, for instance, is desperate for both a top center and a gate attraction, and has two late first-round picks as well as a likely top 3 pick. Montreal needs a top center and some positive PR after a disastrous year, and would clearly offer their own top 3 pick-plus-plus. Columbus is has been sorely needing a top-line center and will likely have two picks in the top 15.

If -- and this is a big if -- the Devils both won the lottery and could not find a good trade offer, I feel their decision come draft day would come down to Wright or Slafkovsky. I do not feel that Jiricek -- as much as I love the kid -- has a shot to be the #1 overall pick, especially coming off a season-ending injury in his draft-eligible campaign.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad