Prospect Info: 2022 NHL Draft Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Goaltenders are the toughest prospects to project as teenagers, that's for sure. There's a reason why there are a greater percentage of elite or near-elite players at that position who were late round picks than any other position. I like the philosophy of drafting a goalie every year in the mid to late rounds whom your goaltending scout likes the most.

its early for them but both Daws and Schmid and even Malek are proving this theory at least has promise.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I'll say it again with Gauthier, I don't think he's a "Tkachuk brother" so much as a "Tkachuk cousin". I like how he's always crease crashing and combines skill and power. He doesn't have anywhere near the elite hands of Matt Tkachuk, but Gauthier's shot is certainly high end. Gauthier's high compete level is what you need out of an interior forward, while his high awareness is far better than you would expect out of one... also, well, "Tkachukian".

Ultimately, I'm not sticking my neck out and ranking a kid with a consensus ranking in the middle of the first round in my top 7 unless I'm really, really confident in his abilities and potential. What I like the most about Gauthier (and I think @Guadana agrees with me on this) is that he's not simply a "complimentary forward" like most interior forwards. The US-NTDP seems to deploy him as a human jump start for any struggling line. They shift him all throughout the top three lines, usually as a spark plug to get them going. I feel both Cooley and Nazar have played their best hockey when Gauthier was the third member of the unit. He is just so good at creating space and havoc and allow pure skill players' skill to play up.

I think it also bears mentioning that Gauthier is currently leading the US-NTDP in goals. While I'm not as stat-obsessed as some draft analysts, we're talking about a team with 4 other forwards who are likely 1st round picks and 3 more who are likely 2nd round selections. That's pretty impressive production.
Meh.
They just didn't watch games. He is the best US-NTDP forward overall. He can create by himself. He doesn't need no protection, he is the man who is protect, create space and store. I don't know is he on the level of M Tkachuk, but he scores on his level without Auston as a partner. And the only thing why he is on the middle of the list because he did start as a middle liner. Now his ratings is growing and we will see how high he will be drafted.
I'm pretty convinced Slafkovsky is going to disappoint people who expect a lot from him. He'll probably end up as like a solid middle 6er
Can't agree here. He is very smart player. One thing I study from the past draft - compete level and work ethic is the one or even the most meaningful aspect you should ask from the prospects.
His shot is questionable still for me, and if he will be 15-20g 60p player, who play hard minutes, is it middle 6 player? But I truly believe with good scoring center he will be great.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Meh.
They just didn't watch games.

You do realize this makes no sense right? If someone was just stat watching, it wouldn't make sense to say they don't believe Gauthier is an elite 1st liner because based on points, signs point to that. I am basing my opinion on his games. Doesn't mean I'll be right with my assessment.

Unless you were referring to something else.....

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
You do realize this makes no sense right? If someone was just stat watching, it wouldn't make sense to say they don't believe Gauthier is an elite 1st liner because based on points, signs point to that. I am basing my opinion on his games. Doesn't mean I'll be right with my assessment.

Unless you were referring to something else.....
Naturally, this is a kind of dramatic exaggeration on my part. We have to warm up the degree of discussion. In the end, this is not a Bratt's, Nico's or Jack's trade, there is something to argue about here.
I assume you want another Swiss goalie, right?
I heard Dannish hockey made a couple of steps forward.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

LD Jeremy Langlois, Cape Breton QMJHL

Langlois is another player who has flown under the proverbial radar, but offers a combination of size (6'1-185), speed and offensive skill which gives him the upside of a mid-pairing, 2PP QB who can put up impressive offensive totals if he approaches his talent ceiling. The caveat is, as with many young offensive minded defensemen, his defensive play is well behind his offensive play and as such he represents a lot of risk on draft day. With 30 points in 36 QMJHL games, he's still a likely mid-round pick, but the Quebec native might also represent an argument that looking at point totals is just a mere fraction of the story when assessing amateur defenders.

First, the good: Langlois can skate. Though not explosive or elite, he has excellent acceleration and can get up to high speeds in open ice quickly. This can make him a weapon in transition, as you give him a step and he's gone, rushing the puck over the center line. He displays the same aggressiveness and confidence in the offensive zone, where he is quick to activate and rush in from the point in order to generate offense. Langlois is also a very good passer in space, and he features an excellent shot. Though none of these talents are elite, they are all very good qualities which are certain to attract attention from NHL scouts.

The downside is that Langlois is not nearly as aware, aggressive or even interested in the defensive zone. He can get dreamy and distracted waiting for the puck to come to him, he can be beat one-on-one with regularity, and he can lose his positioning and float. Right now, there is no way to categorize his defensive play as adequate.

The question is, is this a result of playing on a doormat Cape Breton team with almost no talent around him, or is Langlois simply a poor defender? When you are a draft-eligible player who is relying on offensive production to be noticed to achieve your dream of being drafted in the NHL and your team pretty much loses every night anyway, would you sacrifice defense to create more offense? I think the common psychology might say yes. But again, this is the million-dollar question, because if Langlois played two ways with consistent intensity on a good team, he'd probably be a 2nd round pick with upside. As it stands, he's a defensive liability putting up impressive numbers but not helping his very bad team even remotely in the win/loss column.

I don't know where you draft Jeremy Langlois. The highest ranking I've seen for him is at #79 (FC Hockey), and several draft writers and bureaus do not have him ranked whatsoever. But the abilities are clearly there, so someone is going to take him in the late rounds, I would assume. I do not think it will be the Devils, as they are loaded at LD in the prospect pool. But he's certainly a player to note come draft day, because although it's cloudy there is true sleeper potential in this young player.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

RW Jordan Dumais, Halifax QMJHL
At first look, Jordan Dumais represents the ultimate contradictory fulcrum between stat-based and scouting-based assessment of draft-eligible prospects. His scoring totals are eye-popping: 19 goals and 58 points in 38 QMJHL games, putting him on an 104-point pace for the entire season. With an April 15 birthdate, he's also doing this as one of the younger draft eligibles for 2022. And he's leading a team in scoring which also features two top high-end prospects, Zachary L'Heureux (Nashville) and Elliot Desnoyers (Philadelphia). But, he's also 5'9 and an average skater at best, a damning combination which has left him with draft rankings generally in the #75 to #85 range, pegging him as a late 3rd round pick.

Though Dumais is quick and agile, he just doesn't have the extension or explosiveness to hit any reasonable top speeds expected for smaller, scoring forwards by the draft consensus. There is no way to sugarcoat this. This affects his ability in transition, to be certain. Combined with a lack of power in both his skating and frame, it makes him below average in the defensive zone despite high levels of awareness and compete. Aside from a very late growth spurt and a redefinition of his entire skating mechanism, it's tough to see how these flaws will be overcome.

Conversely, we're looking at a kid with several high-end, even elite, skills. His passing ability is top 10 in the entire 2022 draft class. Dumais is brilliant in his vision and creativity, able to see passing lanes where there seemingly are none, one of those "eyes behind his head" players with an almost uncanny sense of where his teammates are and where they are going. Once set up in the offensive zone, you want the puck on Dumais' stick, because he's going to generate scoring chance after scoring chance. He's a very good stickhandler who uses his one skating attribute -- agility/quickness -- in tandem with his quick hands to make himself extremely elusive with the puck, even in tight spaces. Though Dumais is certainly a pass-first player, he also features a quick release on an accurate shot and makes good decisions in when to fire away; he's capable of scoring in tight if the defense is too concerned with defending his brilliant passing acumen.

What makes me really a fan of this kid are his intangibles. Dumais' slight size does not affect his courage, and he's willing to battle even against much larger defensemen he stands nary a chance against. He tries to go to the greasy areas, although he often winds up on his ass as a result. He's incredible smart, and I'd rate his offensive awareness as pretty elite -- absolutely first-round caliber.

So, where do you draft a Jordan Dumais? His physical limitations would seem to ceiling him as "second-line scoring forward" despite his formidable strengths as an offensive generator. And there is not a lot of bottom six potential here, for obvious reasons listed above. We're basically talking a "second line or bust" player, though you'd also have to concede he could be a very high scoring 2nd liner if his development progresses to an optimal degree. Again, Dumais represents a true sleeper with significant finger-crossing. The stat-based scouting bureaus will probably be touting him as a worthy first-round pick come June, but that's just poor judgement. The "old school, draft big/fast" teams like Ottawa and Anaheim will probably be crossing him off their draft boards altogether, but that's even worse judgement. I'd say Jordan Dumais is a kid you take a flyer on from the 4th round on, hoping he builds his core strength and improves his straight-line speed enough that his brilliant hockey abilities manifest at the higher levels.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

C/LW Ivan Ivan, Cape Breton QMJHL

The, uh... redundantly named Czech pivot is the first overeager I'm writing up for the 2022 draft. He's a hard-working center who was passed over last year because of questions of his production for a poor Eagles team and further questions about a combination of lack of size (5'11-170) and high end speed. However, Ivan has seriously improved his skating and leads his Cape Breton team by a whopping 9 goals with just 35 games played, with 20 thus far. He plays a competitive and responsible 200-foot game and might represent a nice pick with bottom 6 upside who will likely be available as late as the 7th round.

Ivan Ivan is one of those oft-overlooked "no particular strengths but also no particular weaknesses" players. He's a decent skater, passer and puck handler. I'd say he's a good shooter, his best physical tool, which may leave any NHL future on the wing rather than center. But he does play a strong two-way style and is very responsible. His awareness in all three zones in commendable. I'd rate his compete level as high, which is even more impressive when you see how utterly weak his team and linemates are.

The question we should ask ourselves with Ivan Ivan is, what if he were a second liner on a talented team instead of pretty much the entire offense on a lamentably poor one? Essentially, the only thing opposing coaches have to do is gameplan against this kid, who is good offensively but not exactly a dynamic scorer. He sees the best shut-down D and C face-off against him every game, and still produces with little help in his own line-up. This makes me feel Ivan might have some upside at the higher levels.

Again, you're not drafting an overager with Ivan Ivan's resume in the 3rd or 4th round. But he is a kid who, 180 picks into the draft, would certainly represent a player of intrigue for me. The fact he can also play center would up his value.

Last edited:

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
2022 Draft Profile:

The, uh... redundantly named Czech pivot is the first overeager I'm writing up for the 2022 draft. He's a hard-working center who was passed over last year because of questions of his production for a poor Eagles team and further questions about a combination of lack of size (5'11-170) and high end speed. However, Ivan has seriously improved his skating and leads his Cape Breton team by a whopping 9 goals with just 35 games played, with 20 thus far. He plays a competitive and responsible 200-foot game and might represent a nice pick with bottom 6 upside who will likely be available as late as the 7th round.

Ivan Ivan is one of those oft-overlooked "no particular strengths but also no particular weaknesses" players. He's a decent skater, passer and puck handler. I'd say he's a good shooter, his best physical tool, which may leave any NHL future on the wing rather than center. But he does play a strong two-way style and is very responsible. His awareness in all three zones in commendable. I'd rate his compete level as high, which is even more impressive when you see how utterly weak his team and linemates are.

The question we should ask ourselves with Ivan Ivan is, what if he were a second liner on a talented team instead of pretty much the entire offense on a lamentably poor one? Essentially, the only thing opposing coaches have to do is gameplan against this kid, who is good offensively but not exactly a dynamic scorer. He sees the best shut-down D and C face-off against him every game, and still produces with little help in his own line-up. This makes me feel Ivan might have some upside at the higher levels.

Again, you're not drafting an overager with Ivan Ivan's resume in the 3rd or 4th round. But he is a kid who, 180 picks into the draft, would certainly represent a player of intrigue for me. The fact he can also play center would up his value.

I Like Like Ivan Ivan if looking for a bottom 6 player with skill , however I think Id prefer boom or bust with last couple of picks personally. Just me but after our 1st rounder , if there is no slam dunk RHD to take with our 2nd , Id love to draft bigass / nasty / gritty forwards with skill. Or Stillman type players. They don't really have to be large in size but rather have a non stop motor and high compete level mixed with some snarl . If we go RHD with our 1st , Id go heavy on the "interior" ( trademark Steve Ives) forwards . Mix in a goalie yet again in later rounds if possible. Some mutant kid thats 6'9" and athletic lol .

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
2022 Draft Profile:

RW Jordan Dumais, Halifax QMJHL
At first look, Jordan Dumais represents the ultimate contradictory fulcrum between stat-based and scouting-based assessment of draft-eligible prospects. His scoring totals are eye-popping: 19 goals and 58 points in 38 QMJHL games, putting him on an 104-point pace for the entire season. With an April 15 birthdate, he's also doing this as one of the younger draft eligibles for 2022. And he's leading a team in scoring which also features two top high-end prospects, Zachary L'Heureux (Nashville) and Elliot Desnoyers (Philadelphia). But, he's also 5'9 and an average skater at best, a damning combination which has left him with draft rankings generally in the #75 to #85 range, pegging him as a late 3rd round pick.

Though Dumais is quick and agile, he just doesn't have the extension or explosiveness to hit any reasonable top speeds expected for smaller, scoring forwards by the draft consensus. There is no way to sugarcoat this. This affects his ability in transition, to be certain. Combined with a lack of power in both his skating and frame, it makes him below average in the defensive zone despite high levels of awareness and compete. Aside from a very late growth spurt and a redefinition of his entire skating mechanism, it's tough to see how these flaws will be overcome.

Conversely, we're looking at a kid with several high-end, even elite, skills. His passing ability is top 10 in the entire 2022 draft class. Dumais is brilliant in his vision and creativity, able to see passing lanes where there seemingly are none, one of those "eyes behind his head" players with an almost uncanny sense of where his teammates are and where they are going. Once set up in the offensive zone, you want the puck on Dumais' stick, because he's going to generate scoring chance after scoring chance. He's a very good stickhandler who uses his one skating attribute -- agility/quickness -- in tandem with his quick hands to make himself extremely elusive with the puck, even in tight spaces. Though Dumais is certainly a pass-first player, he also features a quick release on an accurate shot and makes good decisions in when to fire away; he's capable of scoring in tight if the defense is too concerned with defending his brilliant passing acumen.

What makes me really a fan of this kid are his intangibles. Dumais' slight size does not affect his courage, and he's willing to battle even against much larger defensemen he stands nary a chance against. He tries to go to the greasy areas, although he often winds up on his ass as a result. He's incredible smart, and I'd rate his offensive awareness as pretty elite -- absolutely first-round caliber.

So, where do you draft a Jordan Dumais? His physical limitations would seem to ceiling him as "second-line scoring forward" despite his formidable strengths as an offensive generator. And there is not a lot of bottom six potential here, for obvious reasons listed above. We're basically talking a "second line or bust" player, though you'd also have to concede he could be a very high scoring 2nd liner if his development progresses to an optimal degree. Again, Dumais represents a true sleeper with significant finger-crossing. The stat-based scouting bureaus will probably be touting him as a worthy first-round pick come June, but that's just poor judgement. The "old school, draft big/fast" teams like Ottawa and Anaheim will probably be crossing him off their draft boards altogether, but that's even worse judgement. I'd say Jordan Dumais is a kid you take a flyer on from the 4th round on, hoping he builds his core strength and improves his straight-line speed enough that his brilliant hockey abilities manifest at the higher levels.
Dumais sounds intriguing but we have a few pass first prospects that lack size . His skating is worrysome. Combination of small in size and skating issues makes me pause. If he drops then by all means he is worth a look. However id not want us to use a 3rd on him.

PS - Thank you Steve for this writeups. Amazing as usual. I have not watched a second of these kids play and Im just basing my opinion of them going off of how you see them.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
I Like Like Ivan Ivan if looking for a bottom 6 player with skill , however I think Id prefer boom or bust with last couple of picks personally. Just me but after our 1st rounder , if there is no slam dunk RHD to take with our 2nd , Id love to draft bigass / nasty / gritty forwards with skill. Or Stillman type players. They don't really have to be large in size but rather have a non stop motor and high compete level mixed with some snarl . If we go RHD with our 1st , Id go heavy on the "interior" ( trademark Steve Ives) forwards . Mix in a goalie yet again in later rounds if possible. Some mutant kid thats 6'9" and athletic lol .

The write up sounds like one of those late round Lou picks where you don't have anyone of particular interest left and just grab a guy who is going to give you a lot of AHL games.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
2022 Draft Profile:

This draft profile needs more IVAN.

489F33B5-DB6B-4DE7-A7CC-1F91BF367B63.jpeg

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

Just a reminder that if I say I like a player, it's not necessarily meaning "I want the Devils to draft this kid". I'm just saying that as a draft analyst, I find this player intriguing for XXX reasons.

I will say Ivan Ivan is intriguing for the Devils because there is no center depth in the system, and it tends to be hard to find anything of any quality at C or RD in the last 60 picks of the draft. But I'm also pretty certain there will be available players I have ranked higher when the Devils make their final pick or two.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Dumais sounds intriguing but we have a few pass first prospects that lack size . His skating is worrysome. Combination of small in size and skating issues makes me pause. If he drops then by all means he is worth a look. However id not want us to use a 3rd on him.

PS - Thank you Steve for this writeups. Amazing as usual. I have not watched a second of these kids play and Im just basing my opinion of them going off of how you see them.

I always suggest that everyone reads myriad scouting reports on the players, not just mine. Granted, it's sometimes tough to find well-written reports on players likely to be taken in the 5th-7th rounds, and I hope my write-ups of lesser-known players like Ivan or Langlois or whomever are helpful for those Devils/draft fans who wish to familiarize themselves with more than simply the big names on draft day.

Reactions: Guttersniped

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
The write up sounds like one of those late round Lou picks where you don't have anyone of particular interest left and just grab a guy who is going to give you a lot of AHL games.

Just a reminder that Lamoriello drafted Steve Sullivan in the 9th round.

But Ivan Ivan is of interest in that he's a guy you can probably find in the 7th round that has a solid floor as an AHL center. Centers and RD tend to go earlier than their projected draft position, and the pickings get very slim late in the draft. His lack of discernible weakness combined with a good shot and compete level make him intriguing.

Again, I'm not saying we need to draft this kid, as there's likely to be a kid in my top 75 who falls late, like there is every year. If there's a player who I am ridiculously high on whom I feel is overlooked, I'll bang the drum harder, as I've done with prospects like Ethan Bear or Tristen Robins or whomever. Ivan Ivan is not that guy, but he's certainly worth taking a close look at late in the draft.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
Just a reminder that Lamoriello drafted Steve Sullivan in the 9th round.

But Ivan Ivan is of interest in that he's a guy you can probably find in the 7th round that has a solid floor as an AHL center. Centers and RD tend to go earlier than their projected draft position, and the pickings get very slim late in the draft. His lack of discernible weakness combined with a good shot and compete level make him intriguing.

Again, I'm not saying we need to draft this kid, as there's likely to be a kid in my top 75 who falls late, like there is every year. If there's a player who I am ridiculously high on whom I feel is overlooked, I'll bang the drum harder, as I've done with prospects like Ethan Bear or Tristen Robins or whomever. Ivan Ivan is not that guy, but he's certainly worth taking a close look at late in the draft.

It was more of a thing in the 2000s and 2010s.

Its funny. If you go though the draft picks you'll find a lot of guys with no professional games surrounding the Devils pick that has 300 AHL games. Its not necessarily a bad thing because Lou was able to squeeze out some value from the picks where the majority of the teams get nothing at all.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Just a reminder that if I say I like a player, it's not necessarily meaning "I want the Devils to draft this kid". I'm just saying that as a draft analyst, I find this player intriguing for XXX reasons.

I will say Ivan Ivan is intriguing for the Devils because there is no center depth in the system, and it tends to be hard to find anything of any quality at C or RD in the last 60 picks of the draft. But I'm also pretty certain there will be available players I have ranked higher when the Devils make their final pick or two.
Yes I understand that you are writing these up not necessarily as what palyers you want to draft yourself but ones that could be of interest.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

LW Yoan Loshing, Moncton QMJHL

I hate to call any player "prototypical" because all players are unique. But Yoan Loshing combines several of the top qualities commonly associated with a speedy and skilled undersized forward with several of the concerns which often plague them. His numbers have been pretty good, as he is precisely on a 30-goal pace in the QMJHL as a 17 year old. But one can't help but think that his production would be more in tune with his outstanding skill set were he more willing to pay a price in and play with greater overall compete.

As you'd wish for from a smaller, offensive-oriented forward, Loshing is an explosive skater. He accelerates quickly, stops on dimes, and his shifty and agile in all directions. When combined with his outstanding puck control, Loshing can maneuver the puck through tight areas and make something out of nothing with regularity. His speed and offensive awareness also make him deadly in transition, and he is quite impressive at offensive zone entries. Once in the offensive zone, Loshing is a very good passer and an even better shooter, with a quick and economical release which also commands deadly accuracy. This is an exciting offensive player who can score to a degree which might give him the upside of a second-line point-producing forward at the NHL level.

Then we must ask, why is his consensus ranking not even in the top 100? Well, Loshing is not a small guy who is willing to pay the price down low and near the opposing net. He shies away from physicality at all costs. He eagerly gives up on loose pucks when physical defenders from the opposition are present, and it only takes the slightest contact while he possesses the puck to send him hurtling to the ice. Loshing draws a tremendous amount of penalties this way, but when the penalties are not called it often just leads to an exchange of possession and an odd-man rush in the opposite direction.

Loshing is tough to pin down for the draft. On one hand, he could fall to the bottom rounds and be the player with the most offensive upside when you're picking in the 5th or 6th rounds. On the other hand, he is the very definition of a perimeter forward and a whole lot will have to change in his compete level if he is going to come even close to achieving his ceiling. Because, make no mistake -- if this kid learns to pay the price and play with more gumption, he has 25+ goal upside at the NHL level. But if he continues along a similar path, he'll probably being scoring his goals in a less physical European league.

I like the high upside kids in the 6th/7th rounds. Everyone wants to catch lightning in a bottle, and I might take a flyer on him very late in a draft. But I'm not sticking my neck out too early for a player with compete/courage problems.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

LW Justin Cote, Drummondville QMJHL

Justin Cote is a freak. He's 5'6-145, but the reason you draft him is not what you'd expect. He's not the typical smaller speedy, shifty point producer. No, the reason you draft Cote is his shot. It's not just a quick release, accurate shot -- it's an absolute cannon blast. I'd compare the power on his shot to the average 6'5 NHL power play trigger-man. Cote just crushes the puck with such authority you can scarcely believe it's coming from a kid that size. All he's got to do is round out the rest of his game to an average level, and he'll have some value for an NHL team.

Cote is not just a shooter. He's a good -- not great -- skater with good puckhandling and passing abilities. He possesses the courage in tight to battle for pucks and crash creases, but he does not usually come up on the winning end of those battles. He's a very small kid who gets bounced around on the regular, and of course this bleeds into his defensive game, which is below where it will need to be if he is to make the big show.

But Cote is scoring at a PPG pace in the QMJHL, so he certainly warrants some late round attention come draft day. He's also a smart kid with good offensive awareness, and with some development it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility to envision him one day topping 20+ goals in an NHL middle six role. I haven't seen him ranked anywhere... by anybody whatsoever... so I'm guessing this is a kid you consider in the 7th round, simply because he can fire the puck. The problem is his closest comparable I can think of is Reid Boucher (in terms of play style, not character) so there's certainly also a very low floor. But I'm writing up Justin Cote as a possible intriguing pick in the last round, because he can really fire the puck and has some other nice offensive attributes.

Reactions: My3Sons

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

C/LW Markus Vidicek, Halifax QMJHL

Vidicek is not a complicated player, he's just a guy with solid skills across the board which all play up because of a good compete level and an extremely high hockey IQ. He'll give you two way hockey in all situations, can play on the PP or PK, and is good but not spectacular both offensively and defensively. Despite one inordinately high ranking (#49, Dobber Prospects), he's generally seen as a 4th round-area pick and would be a smart add for any team in that region or thereafter.

Vidicek is not big at 5'10-155, but a strong competitive drive and team ethic sees him playing a bit bigger. He's not a complex or flashy player, as defensively he makes the smart play and offensively he makes the effective, high-percentage ones. The Kirkland, Quebec native is an above average skater, but he plays faster because of his excellent anticipation which sees him a step ahead of plays mentally. His finest attribute is his puck-handling, he's a kid who can dangle a bit, especially to create lanes, which plays up his efficient passing talents. Vidicek is an okay shooter.

Defensively, Vidicek is a high effort guy who is positionally extremely sound. He's more of a cerebral defender than a kid to use his body. He rarely makes mistakes or takes unnecessary risks, and he's the kind of player who makes you feel safe when he's out there. He's very active off the puck, but very calm with it.

I think Vidicek is a high floor player who makes sense for a lot of teams. Were he a bit bigger or a bit faster, I think he'd be talked about a lot as a third, or even second, round pick. As it stands, he's a hard-working kid who plays with a lot of intelligence and represents a sensible pick for the late rounds of the 2022 draft.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

C/RW Alex Blais, Chicoutimi QMJHL

Here's another player who is not ranked anywhere by anyone who is interesting for several reasons. Alex Blais is scoring at a pretty good rate in the Q (21 points in 27 games) and combines excellent skating ability with a projectable frame (6'0-160). His speed is really the most attractive quality, with some tremendous edges and dexterity. He's also a pretty good passer with some decent hockey awareness and a nice compete level. These qualities lead me to feel that, with work in other areas of his game, he can become a very good 3rd line forward at the professional level.

Like any unranked player, Blais has a few warts which are probably the reasoning behind his lack of attention. His hands are a bit problematic, as he's a bit of a sloppy puck handler and sometimes has trouble corralling passes and loose pucks. Though he's competitive, he is not physical at all and can be manhandled a bit by stronger defenders. But I think if he builds up his core strength and works hard on his puck skills, his high level of skating and decent hockey sense might give him intriguing professional upside.

Blais is not a player you take before the 5th round, but in the 6th or 7th round you would be getting a kid who, at the very least, should inject a ton of speed into your AHL lineup in the future. He'll probably be leaned on a ton next year by Chicoutimi, so maybe we'll see some helium in his development arc.

Reactions: My3Sons
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad