Alexander Holtz
Luke Hughes
Shakir Mukhamadullin
Simon Nemec
Nikita Okhotiuk
Chase Stillman
Tyce Thompson
Fabian Zetterlund

As usual, after selecting a player, request a player to be added to the next poll.

Last edited:

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Eligible Players:
Zakhar Bardakov
Cole Brady
Jack Dugan
Josh Filmon
Jeremy Groleau
Brian Halonen
Peter Hauser
Viktor Hurtig
Charlie Leddy
Daniil Misyul
Daniil Orlov
Nikola Pasic
Nikita Popugayev
Jaromir Pytlik
Samu Salminen
Artem Shlaine
Aarne Talvitie
Topias Vilen
Michael Vukojevic
Yegor Zaitsev
Ripshot 43

In Poll:Selected Previously:
Artem Barabosha
Tyler Brennan
Graeme Clarke
Ethan Edwards
Jakub Malek
Case McCarthy
Patrick Moynihan
Samu Salminen
Akira Schmid
Reilly Walsh
Tyler Brennan
Seamus Casey
Nico Daws
Nolan Foote
Arseni Gritsyuk
Alexander Holtz
Luke Hughes
Shakir Mukhamadullin
Simon Nemec
Nikita Okhotiuk
Chase Stillman
Tyce Thompson
Fabian Zetterlund
Daniil Orlov is in the poll. Tyler Brennan was already voted.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Malek is better than Schmid.
Curious as to why you think that. Not saying you're wrong at all, I'm just interested in your opinion on this. Schmid had a pretty damn good AHL season, Malek had a good season too, but it was in Czechia's 2nd division. I'm excited to see what he does in Liiga this year.

Why do you think he's better already?

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
Walsh not getting nearly enough love here. He has made some great progress from the start of his career in college to his 2nd year of pro hockey.

Reactions: HBK27

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Walsh not getting nearly enough love here. He has made some great progress from the start of his career in college to his 2nd year of pro hockey.
I like to think of these polls more as a representation of fan opinion than a useful scouting tool. It can be that as well, but the fact is that Walsh had a lackluster rookie pro season and after the Marino acquisition, is way down on the depth chart.

I think he has plenty of NHL potential, but even i’ll admit it’s unlikely the Devils will need a small puck moving D with only moderate skill and defensive question marks (even if he made big strides last season) any time soon. That’s why he’s way down on the hype chart.

Reactions: Stephen Gionta

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Clarke, add Talvitie.

Probably the last prospect I see with a better than decent chance to have a significant impact - assuming that the remaining Russian defensemen stay in the KHL.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Yeah, voted Walsh. At some point you have to vote for a guy that's performed very well at the AHL level.

Probably Schmid after that.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Yeah, voted Walsh. At some point you have to vote for a guy that's performed very well at the AHL level.

That’s very fair. I was leaning Schmid since he was killing it earlier in the season and was actually called up before Daws. He got torched in thr NHL which took away some of his mojo based on how did in the AHL after that. Being able to hit that high is not a fluke in my view. He was very good in thr USHL when he wasn’t injured. If Walsh was younger I’d have more confidence he will translate to the NHL game but Zetterlund has also taken the long road and looked good in his last stint with the Devils so I have not written off Walsh. Every year there is probably a guy low on the prospect totem pole that claws his way up to the team even if only in a fringe role so it’s certainly plausible that Walsh could make that jump this season if someone gets hurt or traded.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta

Agreed, I've started voting Walsh not because I think he has a shot at playing for us much, but I can't honestly say I expect any of these other guys to stick in the NHL more than him. Basically every name on the list at this point is someone that would have been in our top 10 in 2015 though, so that's fun.

lol add Popugayev. He just needed some time away and now he’s gonna turn into the star he was meant to be.

Hasn't he spent the last year trying to turn into the star he was meant to be?

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Agreed, I've started voting Walsh not because I think he has a shot at playing for us much, but I can't honestly say I expect any of these other guys to stick in the NHL more than him. Basically every name on the list at this point is someone that would have been in our top 10 in 2015 though, so that's fun.

Hasn't he spent the last year trying to turn into the star he was meant to be?
I could see Schmid being an NHL goalie. Not necessarily a great one, but he flashed enough game that last season he was called up before Daws. He flopped in the NHL but given he was in his first pro season and probably very nervous it's understandable. He's only about 6 months older than Daws and has had some injuries along the way that probably pushed back his development curve a bit. You can see the basic skills are there. He has pro size. He needs to learn to focus and maintain his form over longer stretches but he can reasonably project to an NHL goalie in today's world. Look at how guys like Hammond hang around and of course a guy like Gillies. For whatever reason, goalies are not great across the league so the bar is a bit lower at that position right now. I can see Schmid being an NHL backup for a bit with more chance of playing for NJ than Walsh. Walsh needs a chance this season. If he plays well enough maybe it pushes NJ to move Severson to let Walsh play on the third pair? He will likely be the first injury call up for a RHD. I hope he succeeds but long term they have Dr. Evil, Marino, and now Nemec ahed of him. It won't be easy for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad