Olympics: 2022 Germany Roster Talk

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Since NHL participation is looking more and more likely; I decided to take a crack at the olympic roster.

We’re in a brutal division with both Canada and USA so the odds are stacked against us but with we definitely have some upset potential.

Stützle - Draisaitl - Kahun
Peterka - Reichel - Tiffels
Michaelis - Sturm - Rieder
Kühnhackl - Müller - Noebels
Wolf, Pföderl

Abeltshauser - Seider
J. Müller - Gawanke
Seidenberg - Holzer
Nowak

Grubauer
Greiss
Niederberger

Reactions: HockeyWooot

colonia

Sep 2, 2021
You did a solid job with that roster. Just a few objections: Greiss officially retired from the national team a while ago. And I really don't see Konrad Abeltshauser as top-pairing defenseman at this level. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't get an invitation from Söderholm at all. Oh, and I suppose that Müller on your fourth line is Marcel Müller? Yeah, uh-uh. No chance, not in a million years. This guy hasn't been a serious contender for a roster spot in a long time. There is probably a full line-up of young German forwards ahead of him right now. Plus a few Pyeongchang veterans like Mauer and Hager.

I'd take a look at Stefan Loibl playing in Sweden this year. Germany desperately needs players who compete at the highest European level on day-to-day basis to fill the gap between (future) world-class players like Draisaitl or Stützle and the traditional core unit of DEL players.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Since NHL participation is looking more and more likely; I decided to take a crack at the olympic roster.

We’re in a brutal division with both Canada and USA so the odds are stacked against us but with we definitely have some upset potential.

Stützle - Draisaitl - Kahun
Peterka - Reichel - Tiffels
Michaelis - Sturm - Rieder
Kühnhackl - Müller - Noebels
Wolf, Pföderl

Abeltshauser - Seider
J. Müller - Gawanke
Seidenberg - Holzer
Nowak

Grubauer
Greiss
Niederberger

You did a solid job with that roster. Just a few objections: Greiss officially retired from the national team a while ago. And I really don't see Konrad Abeltshauser as top-pairing defenseman at this level. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't get an invitation from Söderholm at all. Oh, and I suppose that Müller on your fourth line is Marcel Müller? Yeah, uh-uh. No chance, not in a million years. This guy hasn't been a serious contender for a roster spot in a long time. There is probably a full line-up of young German forwards ahead of him right now. Plus a few Pyeongchang veterans like Mauer and Hager.

I'd take a look at Stefan Loibl playing in Sweden this year. Germany desperately needs players who compete at the highest European level on day-to-day basis to fill the gap between (future) world-class players like Draisaitl or Stützle and the traditional core unit of DEL players.

I agree with most of the objections. If they leave out veterans like Hager, Mauer and Ehliz, which could happen, Müller still would not be on the team, in my opinion.

I made two rosters, or at least two different forward groups, one more vet oriented and one with a bit more emphasis, on some younger options. Obviously injuries will occur, so the actual roster will surely look different.

Veterans:
Kahun - Draisaitl - Tiffels -> The 95 line
Stützle - Reichel - Peterka -> The 02 line
Kühnhackl - Sturm - Rieder
Ehliz - Hager - Noebels
Mauer, Michaelis

"Slightly" younger players:
Kahun - Draisaitl - Tiffels
Stützle - Reichel - Peterka
Kühnhackl - Sturm - Rieder
Michaelis - Pföderl - Noebels
Wohlgemuth, Bergmann/Loibl

Brandt/Seidenberg - Seider
J. Müller - Gawanke
Wagner - Holzer
Akdag/Brandt

Grubauer
Niederberger
Aus den Birken/Brückmann

But no matter which way you go, the final 3-4 forward spots and the final 3 dman spots as well as 3rd string goalie are really up for grabs with many options that are pretty much interchangeable, without a significant drop in quality.
Especially on defense (I am not sure if Y.Seidenberg still plays for the national team or not), there could be major changes depending on the DEL season up to the Olympics.

About Abeltshauser: I think he is certainly one of the best defensemen we have in the DEL, but he just does not seem to fit into this team with his playstyle.

Reactions: Leaves34

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
germany have a chance against usa. usa is better on paper, but usa sometimes play worse than they should in best on best tournaments

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
germany have a chance against usa. usa is better on paper, but usa sometimes play worse than they should in best on best tournaments
But Germany won never a single game in a best on best tournament since 98. Exception 2002 vs SVK(Qualifier).

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
But Germany won never a single game in a best on best tournament since 98. Exception 2002 vs SVK(Qualifier).

Yes, and ? Belarus reached semis in 2002. by beating Sweden, and in 2022. they won't play at Olympics, so I don't see the point in your post.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Yes, and ? Belarus reached semis in 2002. by beating Sweden, and in 2022. they won't play at Olympics, so I don't see the point in your post.
Well, it is said that the USA sometimes does not reach their highest level in Best on Best tournaments. I have just replied that Germany has never won a game. Hence my answer is appropriate.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden

that belarus win was miracle on ice. this german team is much better than belarus team was in 2002

DieSendungmitderMaus

Apr 14, 2018
Man our D looks f***ing terrible compared to the forwards, which isn't exactly what I'm used to, still. Seider has to be leaned on quite a bit, I really don't want them to throw Holzer out there as a "shutdown guy". Still obviously a big step up from what the team used to be, mind, just that the forwards have progressed more than the D.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Man our D looks f***ing terrible compared to the forwards, which isn't exactly what I'm used to, still. Seider has to be leaned on quite a bit, I really don't want them to throw Holzer out there as a "shutdown guy". Still obviously a big step up from what the team used to be, mind, just that the forwards have progressed more than the D.

imagine this d (all in their prime) with todays forwards:

D.Seidenberg - Ehrhoff
Sulzer - Schubert
Ludemann - S.Goc

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007

Yes, I have been watching Germany closely because I think they have real dark horse potential, but the main concern here is their 2nd/3rd D Pairings. How can they possibly survive against the elite teams rolling 4 elite lines back to back to back to back?

Grubauer will have to be outstanding.

With the lack of quality depth at defence, I am surprised no one is projecting a younger player like Munzenberger onto the roster? Surely there have to be some skilled younger prospects that could contribute? If Seidenberg can still play at a reasonable level it would be a huge boost but it seems implausible.

EDIT: Also can anyone explain why Florian Elias doesn’t get any respect? He looked incredible to me at the WJC, I was kind of expecting a career surge based on that similar to Dominik Kahun. Is it just his size that is keeping interest low? Is his brother (I assume its his brother) the other young/small Elias coming up in the next draft better/worse/similar?

Thanks

Last edited:

DieSendungmitderMaus

Apr 14, 2018
Did Kahun get much of a career surge from the WJC? He played there with Draisaitl in 2013 and 2014 (IIRC) and only got NHL attention after the 2018 Olympics

SportsFan94

Jan 11, 2017
Cambridge, Ontario.
Kahun-Draisaitl-Bokk
Tiffels-Stutzle-Kuhnhackl
Plachta-Sturm-Rieder
Noebels-Macek-Reichel
Peterka

Holzer-Seider
Muller-Gawanke
Nowak-Bittner
Brandt

Grubauer
Greiss
Niederberger

Taxi Squad 5:
Pfoderl (W), Bruckmann (G), Wagner (D), Ehliz (W), Bergmann (C,W)

Michaelis could easily get into the taxi squad, and even the 23 man roster if he does well with the Marlies.

Last edited:

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Loibl been great in SHL so far.

Kunhackl not really showing anyhing offensivly so far, be we all know he got good grinding and pk skills.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Im still not sure about Bergmann and Michaelis. So far Bergmann dont look better than top DELers and Michaelis is a 26 year old AHLer with just 15 pro games in his belt.

If Bokk has a monster season in AHL i guess he could make the team.

Whats the status on Macek? He should be good enough, but im unsure if he wants to play for Germany.

Kahun - Draisaitl - Tiffels
Stützle - Reichel - Peterka
Noebels - Sturm - Plactha
Kühnhackl - Loibl - Rieder
Eisenschmid, Pföderl

Y.Seidenberg - Seider
J. Müller - Gawanke
M.Muller - Holzer
Abeltshauser - Brandt

Grubauer
Niederberger
Aus den Birken

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Kahun-Draisaitl-Stuetzle
Rieder-Reichel-Bokk
Tiffels-Sturm-Kuhnhackl
Noebels-Macek-Plachta
Michaelis

J. Mueller-Seider
Gawanke-Holzer
Seidenberg-Nowak
M. Mueller

Grubauer
Neiderberger

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
This stuff with Greiss is childish. The man said he was sorry. No idea why people think he is a nazi. Its the opossite, He is a leftists who dislike Merkel and her right-wing party. Germany cant rely on only Grubauer, he might get hurt or be in bad shape. Greiss is needed.

Also, Germany needs to do anything to get Macek on the team. The guy is a very good KHLer.

Grubaur
Greiss
Niederberger

Seider - Gawanke
M.Muller - Seidenberg
Abeltshauser - Holzer

Stutzle - Draisaitl - Kahun
Peterka - Macek - Reichel
Tiffels - Sturm - Noebels
Kuhnhackl - Loibl - Rieder

iginlafan77

Dec 5, 2014
This stuff with Greiss is childish. The man said he was sorry. No idea why people think he is a nazi. Its the opossite, He is a leftists who dislike Merkel and her right-wing party. Germany cant rely on only Grubauer, he might get hurt or be in bad shape. Greiss is needed.

Also, Germany needs to do anything to get Macek on the team. The guy is a very good KHLer.

Grubaur
Greiss
Niederberger

Seider - Gawanke
M.Muller - Seidenberg
Abeltshauser - Holzer

Stutzle - Draisaitl - Kahun
Peterka - Macek - Reichel
Tiffels - Sturm - Noebels
Kuhnhackl - Loibl - Rieder

I don't think he's a leftist at all, not sure how you can say that. He posted a pro Rush Limbaugh post on Insta. He also has a bit of a history of sharing PragerU content.
Then there's the time he liked a post comparing Hillary Clinton to Hitler, and the fact that one of his masks contains what conveniently looks quite a bit like the SS logo.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
I don't think he's a leftist at all, not sure how you can say that. He posted a pro Rush Limbaugh post on Insta. He also has a bit of a history of sharing PragerU content.
Then there's the time he liked a post comparing Hillary Clinton to Hitler, and the fact that one of his masks contains what conveniently looks quite a bit like the SS logo.

Wtf ok. Did not know that. But no matter his political views he is still a good goalie.

Reactions: wetcoast

Reindl87

May 18, 2012
I am a bit suprised about the high regard for Bokk. He did play well in the WJC a few years back but his club career has been a total train wreck. I think he should come to the DEL. All this SHL, AHL nonsense is pretty unseres for him.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
I am a bit suprised about the high regard for Bokk. He did play well in the WJC a few years back but his club career has been a total train wreck. I think he should come to the DEL. All this SHL, AHL nonsense is pretty unseres for him.

He was not bad in SHL. Keep in mind that he was very young. And yet he did good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad