2022 Free Agency Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
This is why I'm pretty firmly in the "trade and sign" Klingberg camp. There's nobody better than that coming along so call up your buddy Nill for his rights and see if you can't work out a deal.

If that makes Hronek expendable, you cross that bridge.

Yeah, I don't know how you materially improve the defense without actively participating in the trade market. Klingberg is a viable option in that respect although I am sure there will be plenty of action for his services.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
My god is the UFA market for defensemen bad. Even if you just set your targets on "competent" you have a hard time coming up with many options. I knew it was bad, but holy hell is it bad.
Maybe there’s some truth to the Petry talk. The Wings have shown interest in the past. Cap space won’t be an issue for the duration of his contract.

Reactions: Winger98 and Bench

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Yeah, I don't know how you materially improve the defense without actively participating in the trade market.
I heard that Werenski wants to come home. :sarcasm:

so-youre-telling-me-theres-a-chance.jpg

Hoog

Feb 4, 2021
You put Forsberg and Lindholm on this team next year, we are Stanley Cup contenders. We have the money and the Swdish connections to do it. Lets go Stevie.

Reactions: evolutionbaby

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Maybe there’s some truth to the Petry talk. The Wings have shown interest in the past. Cap space won’t be an issue for the duration of his contract.

Not sure how you can say that when Petry’s last year will coincide with the new contracts for Seider and Raymond, with literally every other big name on this roster - Larkin, Bert, Vrana, Ned, Hronek - costing more by that time, assuming they’re still around.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I remember he gave an exit interview telling other UFA goalies not to sign in Detroit because they wouldn't give him a chance.
That was the tank season where neither Howie or Bernie could stop a beach ball, so the complaint is probably warranted. Then again, it wasn't like Rybar had stellar stats in the AHL.

None of it really matters since that was Holland. My mind is fried this week, but Rybar signed for 2018-19 season, Stevie signed in April 2019.

Stevie played Brome for half a (shortened) season even though he sucked. It really looked as though he promised Brome that he would at least break even financially. So Stevie has that to show, but at this point I doubt he signs an Euro FA because the team has so many prospects.

Reactions: Stony Curtis

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
I've seen a few people mentioning Copp lately. I can see why it makes sense but I'd be concerned for a few reasons:

- He's on a good team and scoring at a solid pace so far. If the Rangers make a run and he does well, he'll get overpaid. Those guys always do.
- He seems to get hurt a lot. He hasn't played more than 69 games in his last four seasons.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
I've seen a few people mentioning Copp lately. I can see why it makes sense but I'd be concerned for a few reasons:

- He's on a good team and scoring at a solid pace so far. If the Rangers make a run and he does well, he'll get overpaid. Those guys always do.
- He seems to get hurt a lot. He hasn't played more than 69 games in his last four seasons.

I tried posting this earlier but it looks like HFBoards is back to auto refreshing the page on mobile! Yay!

Yes, Copp is on a good scoring pace for the Rangers. He was also on a good scoring pace for the Jets. Part of it is linemates, part of it is usage. He was used more in a shutdown role in Winnipeg because nobody else in their top 6 seems to know they have to backcheck from time to time. It's also a great sign that in a role where he's given better linemates and more offensive leash that he can create. This is not a negative.

The last 2 seasons it was impossible to play over 71 games, so that's also not a negative. At least not as much as you think it is.

Also we're at the point where overpaying isn't the problem. Not making any real moves to improve is the problem. Larkin and Bertuzzi are 2 big pending UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS! Larkin has been to the postseason once. Bertuzzi not at all. They're in their mid-late 20s heading to their 3rd contracts. They will both want to get paid, and they will want to start playing winning hockey.

If Detroit doesn't make any big moves this offseason to improve then I really worry that these guys will take that as a sign to move on. And I can't blame them. 6-7 years in an organization spinning it's tires in the dirt? I'd be heading out the door as well. And not to make this a "fire Blashill!" gripe, but also keeping the same terrible head coach that the players have obviously quit on is sending that message to them as well.

Reactions: Rzombo4 prez

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

Yeah, I think folks will end up feeling about him how many seem to feel about Suter now. A guy we line up at 2C but really want at 3C or somewhere on the wing. But if we're paying him center money we're not going to be happy to have him as (another) middle6 wing.

I'm not really up for any forward unless it's in some way tied to fixing the left side of our blueline. If we sign Copp and deal Bert for someone to fill that hole I'd be for it, but our blueline has far bigger issues than our forwards.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Yeah, I think folks will end up feeling about him how many seem to feel about Suter now. A guy we line up at 2C but really want at 3C or somewhere on the wing. But if we're paying him center money we're not going to be happy to have him as (another) middle6 wing.

I'm not really up for any forward unless it's in some way tied to fixing the left side of our blueline. If we sign Copp and deal Bert for someone to fill that hole I'd be for it, but our blueline has far bigger issues than our forwards.

Dude, Copp is a far superior player to Suter. Much better defensively. More physical. Not pushed around nearly as easy, and uses his linemates better. Suter is the epitome of a bad team 2nd/3rd line tweener. The guy is an NHLer but he's not going to make it on a playoff roster.

Reactions: Ed Ned and Leddy

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Dude, Copp is a far superior player to Suter. Much better defensively. More physical. Not pushed around nearly as easy, and uses his linemates better. Suter is the epitome of a bad team 2nd/3rd line tweener. The guy is an NHLer but he's not going to make it on a playoff roster.

Remind me of how Copp has elevated Winnipeg in the playoffs.

Reactions: nbwingsfan

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020

Copp is a 2C that only started playing as a 2/3C as of last season. If you remember last year Winnipeg's 1C made a dirty play and got himself suspended and the team as a whole shit the bed against Montreal. Do you really want to make the argument that because Copp didn't win a series by himself that he's not going to be a better center for Detroit than Suter?

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
If you want a true 200ft center Copp is far superior, especially on the defensive side of the puck. For some reason no one wants to talk about Suter's defensive deficiencies, which are super obvious. Even when he establishes relatively good defensive positioning in relation to his assignment, he still gets muscled out of the play in the low slot very, very easily. Copp is the complete opposite as a player.

I honestly don't see how we materially improve the team without improving our talent at the number 2C spot. Improving the backend will improve the goal differential, but I am not sure it will produce a ton more wins.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
If you want a true 200ft center Copp is far superior, especially on the defensive side of the puck. For some reason no one wants to talk about Suter's defensive deficiencies, which are super obvious. Even when he establishes relatively good defensive positioning in relation to his assignment, he still gets muscled out of the play in the low slot very, very easily. Copp is the complete opposite as a player.

I honestly don't see how we materially improve the team without improving our talent at the number 2C spot. Improving the backend will improve the goal differential, but I am not sure it will produce a ton more wins.
I’ve talked about it a bunch, lol.

My issue with Suter/Copp is you are going to want more from Copp in the offensive zone, just like you want more from Suter in the defensive zone.

Trocheck is a guy that is an upgrade on both ends.

Reactions: Winger98

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Copp is a 2C that only started playing as a 2/3C as of last season. If you remember last year Winnipeg's 1C made a dirty play and got himself suspended and the team as a whole shit the bed against Montreal. Do you really want to make the argument that because Copp didn't win a series by himself that he's not going to be a better center for Detroit than Suter?

I'm saying I wouldn't bash one guy as a guy you can't win with in the playoffs when the other guy has been in the playoffs and hasn't exactly been a difference maker.

You really think we're better off finding someone better than Suter while running the equivilant of Staal/Juolevi/Walman/Oesterle out down the left side? We're going to win more games that way? I don't think so.

I'm not saying Copp isn't a good player or that he doesn't have strengths. He will give you a different game from Suter. If you prefer him over Suter, okay. I think there's anywhere from 6-9 other centers still looking at UFA this summer who fit that bill. Hell, Veleno might fit that bill. Copp is just a guy I don't see as a legit 2C on a contender. It might work in NY because they can put Panarin on his line, but we don't have a Panarin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad