HF Habs: 2022 FIFA World Cup: Argentina World Cup Champs, France runner-up, Croatia 3rd, Morocco 4th

Does Canada qualify?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Yeah he needed help and didn’t get it. One heck of a player though. He’ll only be 27 at the next one with a still young midfield (Tchouameni, Camavinga) and young defenders (Kounde, Upamecano). They will be heavy favourites.

Plus let’s not forget, while Ronaldo was great in the tournament, he didn’t even play in the final of the Euro because of an early injury sub.

France has been doing it for 30 years now.

You just kind of expect them to be contenders each time the world cup rolls around because that's just what they are.

They have made 4 of the last 7 world cup finals, and have only lost in that zidane headbutt game, and this one in penalty kicks.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Well deserved for Messi. Love Mpabbé. Kid has about 3 more World Cups to go. He'll win one.

He already won one.

1671390226849.png

He'll have a chance to win another.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
France has been doing it for 30 years now.

You just kind of expect them to be contenders each time the world cup rolls around because that's just what they are.

They have made 4 of the last 7 world cup finals, and have only lost in that zidane headbutt game, and this one in penalty kicks.
A lot of focus is on the generational talents of their teams (Zidane and Mbappe), which ignores the incredible players around them. The 1998 France team had an incredible back line (Lizarazu, Desailly, Thuram), with Petit and a young Vieira (in the 2000 Euros)

The 2018 squad had Pogba (beast for France), Kante, Griezmann, Varane.

They have really really good teams to go with that one generational player. It’s like putting McDavid on the Lightning.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Argentina's coach is still lucky. Can't imagine them losing while he took out the best player by a mile from the game. Unless Di Maria was insanely injured or sick.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I don't like the narrative that a single player needs a championship to cement their greatness especially in a sport like soccer.

I mean, look at that amazing save by Martinez late in extra time. If he hadn't made that save, its supposed to somehow degrade messi's legacy?

It's like mcdavid on Edmonton. It's not fair that his legacy is downgraded simply because the guys around him aren't good enough.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Not a big football fan but I just realized Mbappé and Messi play on the same team in France (as well as Neymar)

That team must be dominant.
Messi wasn’t performing at the same level. Heck, there were ‘rumours’ of him coming to the MLS after his stint with PSG.

Mbappé is now the richest football player in the world I believe. The contract he signed is obcene.

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
Mbappé 19 years old have Cup, Messi have Cup after 35 years old loll
Sigh that's just off. Check out their achievements by 23 and then come back.

I don't like the narrative that a single player needs a championship to cement their greatness especially in a sport like soccer.

I mean, look at that amazing save by Martinez late in extra time. If he hadn't made that save, its supposed to somehow degrade messi's legacy?
For me Messi has been the GOAT since 2017. Unfortunately, players are always judged by team awards. This world cup should now cement it.

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
Messi wasn’t performing at the same level. Heck, there were ‘rumours’ of him coming to the MLS after his stint with PSG.

Mbappé is now the richest football player in the world I believe. The contract he signed is obcene.
He has 25 goals and assists in 17 matches at PSG despite playing primarily has a provider. He's not done but he's definitely lost a step.

To each his own. Mbappé has been almost GPG in most seasons.
I've seen every PSG match this season and most last. Mbappe is spectacular but very selfish at PSG and he wastes so, so many prime opportunities. There's a reason he has been labelled egotistical.

Reactions: MadMslm

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad