2022 Draft Thread - July 7-8 (CBJ to pick 6th (via CHI) and 12th overall)

Status
Not open for further replies.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I thought that particular blurb highlighted Portzline’s biggest writing flaw: evaluating and projecting talent. But he’s a human-interest story writer, and not in hockey ops, so I guess that’s fine. The issue he had with taking Jiricek in that spot was that he sees him as a defensive defenseman without upside, “30 point defenseman, at most”, and doesn’t see Jarmo taking a safe pick like that at 6.

The whole podcast was a bit frustrating because the trio were discussing the percentage chances of drafting certain players. It was pretty much zeroes across the board, then roughly 10% Jiricek, 50% Gauthier, 10% Kemell, 10% Lekkerimaki. You know, basically just looking at McKenzie’s list and saying anything more than 1 away from 6 is impossible.

I listened as well and the first thing I thought of was that Jiricek looks to have more offensive acumen than Gavrikov and Gavrikov was a "30 point defenseman" this year. Don't get me wrong, I love Gavy but he doesn't have top pair upside and is a LHD so if that's the floor for Jiricek, the ceiling is still pretty high. Now I'm a Nemec and Mintyukov guy first but I wouldn't be upset with Jiricek. And when I think of LHD, Gavy as a "3rd pair" type guy would mean this team is very good on defense so I have no issue drafting another LHD high in this draft.

Reality is, I don't recall a draft this jumbled in quite some time. I think one could argue that a guy like Nemec could be worthy of 1OA or 2OA just as much as Cooley, Slafkovsky, Wright. Hell, Kemmel has some thinking he's a top 5 pick. There is a lot of talent and I just hope we came away with a top end of the draft this year like it appears we did last year. Ceuleman looks like he's got pretty good upside. I'm excited to see his sophmore year to see if the 2nd half was the real deal last year. If so, we have a really good one on our hands.

Update on Jarmo's mindset regarding the draft:

Sounds like he's got his eye on a player that he thinks will still be there at pick #6.

My big guess for the draft: I think David Jiricek falls. past #7. My reasoning for this is that while he's a big bodied RHD who is a decent skater, his ceiling may not be as high as you would want with a top pick. Seems more like a Marc Methot or an Eric Gudbranson who, while solid, isn't top-5 worthy.

I think Jiricek is far more more dynamic than some scouts are giving him credit for. He doesn't have the ideal smooth skating but he thinks the game in a dynamic way.

He might not be a high end puck carrier but the scoring upside is high. His slapshot and wristshot alone could net him 15+ goals a year from the blueline. If you put him on the top PP next to Laine, that R to R combination, I think we could be talking about 50+ or 60+ pt player. That's two cannons to respect and a QB that can ably change angles and has an arsenal of fakes, the possibilities really open up.

Reactions: Hemsky001 and LJ7

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Update on Jarmo's mindset regarding the draft:

Sounds like he's got his eye on a player that he thinks will still be there at pick #6.

My big guess for the draft: I think David Jiricek falls. past #7. My reasoning for this is that while he's a big bodied RHD who is a decent skater, his ceiling may not be as high as you would want with a top pick. Seems more like a Marc Methot or an Eric Gudbranson who, while solid, isn't top-5 worthy.

So we know that at least one of the presumptive top 6 is not in Jarmo's top tier of 4 or 5 players.

He also probably doesn't have any consensus top 15 player from outside that top 6 in his top tier (not like I have Mintyukov), or he would just take them at #6. There is a possibility that he has a player from much lower on consensus lists (like Ostlund, Firkus, etc..) ranked very high, and that's why he is talking about maybe trading down from 6.

Most likely Jarmo has a top tier that includes 4 or 5 of the presumptive top 6, and then there is a deeper tier after that where they expect they could get guys they really like maybe even late in the round. For example, in the simulator, I traded 6 for 10+22, and took Mintyukov at 10, Ostlund at 12, and Mateychuk at 22.

Good. although moving up for Wright if he slips to 2 is tempting, I think the smart choice is to stand pat and see what falls to you. Is there really that big of a difference between Cooley and Gauthier? Clearly, Cooley is the better prospect,but is it enough to sacrifice a Nazar, Mintyukov, Kochinski, Lekkerimakki, Kemmel etc? I don't think so.

My preference at 6 is still Nemec or Jiricek, but I am perfectly OK with Gauthier if that's not possible.

You can ask the same thing about Wright and Gauthier, or at least I can ask it. Personally if you ask me now, I expect Gauthier to have the better career but Wright has a chance to overcome his challenges and become an elite player. I would pick Wright but it's not an easy question for me.

I wouldnt be surprised if Gauthier is Jarmo's guy and I also wouldnt be surprised if he misses out on him again. Im pumped for Johnson but part of me believes McTavish was the pick last year before Anaheim kind of surprised everyone.
If Gauthier is gone and there is even an ounce of truth to the Jiricek take Id have absolutely 0 idea of what to expect with that pick

I've been saying since the lottery that Gauthier screams Jarmo's guy.

And it's already been reported at least once that McTavish was Jarmo's guy last year, higher on the list than KJ. Sorry, I don't remember where that was reported.

Jiricek is 6'3 190? Kid is going to play in the NHL within two years for sure at that size.

Seider and Makar took two years after the draft to develop and that seems appropriate for Jiricek too. But then again I'm the bozo that would send Sillinger down.

So yeah, I've pretty much made up my mind that I want a center/blueliner combo. If that ends up being Jiricek/Nazar (OMG PLS), or Gauther/Mintyukov (enh, okay), or Cooley/Matcheyuk (shiny), or Nemec/Savoie (enh sure), or whatever, pretty much any way it works I'm okay. I have preferences but I don't have enough info about the other possibilities for those preferences to be usefully informed ones, so, whatever.

That's the sort of thing that I don't think matters in the long view. Like if we look back five years from now, are we going to care that we took FF in one draft and then DD in the next and then FF again? Or if it was DF + DF + DF? It doesn't matter to me, I just take the players as they come.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Good to hear this from Jarmo, now I'm little less upset about the latest trade. Ever since it became official our first round picks will be 6OA and 12OA, I've been in favor of staying put or trading down. To me this is a draft where it's better for us to have multiple 1sts and 2nds in the 6-60 range than only one top-6 pick and possibly no other picks in rounds 1&2.

Interesting that he's implying they aren't necessarily excited about everyone at the top of the draft. One or more of Wright, Slaf, Cooley, Jiricek, Nemec, Gauthier aren't really high on their wishlist. That made me wonder about Jarmo wanting to move back if they can't get one of the RDs.

Based on that I’m thinking he wants Gauthier to be there at 6.

He knows he’s not going at the top and Flyers is the question mark.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

This just really screams that moving up isn’t worth it when you have a top6 pick.

& they have a realistic chance for someone at 6 that some teams see as top3 talent in this draft

Last edited:

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Based on that I’m thinking he wants Gauthier to be there at 6.

He knows he’s not going at the top and Flyers is the question mark.
Assuming you're correct about CBJ dreaming of Gauthier at 6... then what do you think which player(s) of that top group could be the one they don't like (as much as they like Gauthier)? Nemec?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Assuming you're correct about CBJ dreaming of Gauthier at 6... then what do you think which player(s) of that top group could be the one they don't like (as much as they like Gauthier)? Nemec?

With the way that wrote I just can’t see how Gauthier would be the guy they wouldn’t be looking at from the top6.

I guess it has to be one of the Dmen, is the injury concerns or ceiling concern.

Reactions: majormajor

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
So we know that at least one of the presumptive top 6 is not in Jarmo's top tier of 4 or 5 players.

He also probably doesn't have any consensus top 15 player from outside that top 6 in his top tier (not like I have Mintyukov), or he would just take them at #6. There is a possibility that he has a player from much lower on consensus lists (like Ostlund, Firkus, etc..) ranked very high, and that's why he is talking about maybe trading down from 6.

Most likely Jarmo has a top tier that includes 4 or 5 of the presumptive top 6, and then there is a deeper tier after that where they expect they could get guys they really like maybe even late in the round. For example, in the simulator, I traded 6 for 10+22, and took Mintyukov at 10, Ostlund at 12, and Mateychuk at 22.
I'm convinced you deliberately made those selections to troll me. :( ;)
That's the sort of thing that I don't think matters in the long view. Like if we look back five years from now, are we going to care that we took FF in one draft and then DD in the next and then FF again? Or if it was DF + DF + DF? It doesn't matter to me, I just take the players as they come.
I don't care about the historical context, I care about where I think the strengths are and where we could use the prospect reinforcement. I know there's this theory that you can't lose if you always go BPA, but I look at the Preds' constant supply of epic badass defensemen and next to nothing at forward and go "c'mon, a sixth-grader could easily figure out the supply/demand imbalance there".

Don't stretch for positional need, for sure, but don't dismiss it entirely either.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'm convinced you deliberately made those selections to troll me. :( ;)

I don't care about the historical context, I care about where I think the strengths are and where we could use the prospect reinforcement. I know there's this theory that you can't lose if you always go BPA, but I look at the Preds' constant supply of epic badass defensemen and next to nothing at forward and go "c'mon, a sixth-grader could easily figure out the supply/demand imbalance there".

Don't stretch for positional need, for sure, but don't dismiss it entirely either.

If you have a big positional imbalance like the Preds did, where you have a lot of epic badass players on one end and none on the other, I get it. We don't have a big number of epic badass players on either end.

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
Is it just me but the more I watch Jiricek - the more I worry about his skating, especially his backward skating?

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
1. Logan Cooley
2. Shane Wright
3. Juraj Slafkovsky
4. David Jiricek
5. Pavel Mintyukov
6. Denton Mateychuk
7. Frank Nazar

8. Cutter Gauthier
9. Simon Nemec
10. Noah Ostlund
11. Marco Kasper

12. Joakim Kemell
13. Lian Bischel
14. Ivan Miroshnichenko
15. Matthew Savoie
16. Liam Ohgren
17. Danila Yurov
18. Jonathan Lekkerimaki
19. Isaac Howard
20. Kevin Korchinski

21. Owen Beck
22. Jimmy Snuggerud
23. Jagger Firkus
24. Brad Lambert
25. Conor Geekie
26. Lane Hutson
27. Jiri Kulich

28. Owen Pickering
29. Rutger McGroarty
30. Gleb Trikizov
31. Seamus Casey
32. Ryan Chesley

HM - Dimitri Buchelnikov, he's not top 32 but he's a fun MHL overager who has really fun highlights

* The top 3 is still hard to discern. I've tried to convince myself to have each of the 3 at #1 and have settled on that order for now. Cooley wins based on his dynamic puck skills, Wright stays 2nd because of his mind for the game, and Slafkovsky earns 3rd (over everyone else) with his physical gifts and approach. Wright has to become more tenacious somehow, whether it's a physical or mental issue he needs to fix. I think he could be the best player from this draft if he truly addresses whatever prevented him from absolutely killing his competition in juniors. Slafkovsky is the complete opposite in that regard. He is a dog and I am almost upset I couldn't bring myself to put him over Wright because I love the spirit he plays with.

* Mintyukov and Mateychuk may be my two personal favorite players in this class. Once Mintyukov is in an NHL system I believe we'll see the dynamic offensive skill with a much more focused defensive game since he'll not be tasked with doing absolutely everything on the ice. Mateychuk is probably the better tactical player of the two but it doesn't overcome Mintyukov's movement advantage. Jiricek edges both with his willingness to play a physical two-way game, and his frame which will likely allow him to do so. Also once Jiricek is strong enough for his frame I believe his skating will improve.

* #15 is not me saying Savoie sucks. He's good, but this draft gets very flat (and relatively good) from 12-20 for me. All of those guys are pretty interchangeable.

* I can put Miroshnichenko wherever I want because there are no consequences for my rankings, but if I worked for a team I'd probably take a safe bet over him. That said, he can PLAY. I hope he can have a nice career.

* Firkus and Hutson are both excellent hockey players trapped in terrible bodies for hockey. I'm not sure if Firkus getting to an acceptable weight to play his game or if Hutson's endocrinologist foretelling a surprise late growth spurt is more likely, but I honestly hope both of those things happen. They're both very fun players and would make the league more entertaining.

* Brad Lambert is a bad hockey player trapped in a good player's body. He does not have high end upside like many say but the right team could make him a useful NHL player if he's willing to accept any role they give him.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Just finished drafting using Draft Prospects Hockey’s NHL Draft Sim and I’m pretty happy with how it went:

(6) Simon Nemec, RD
(12) Cutter Gauthier, C
(44) Luca Del Bel Belluz, C
(96) Noah Warren, RD
(109) Cruz Lucius, RW
(203) Seamus Powell, LD

Reactions: Viqsi and Xoggz22

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Just finished drafting using Draft Prospects Hockey’s NHL Draft Sim and I’m pretty happy with how it went:

(6) Simon Nemec, RD
(12) Cutter Gauthier, C
(96) Noah Warren, RD
(109) Cruz Lucius, RW
(203) Seamus Powell, LD

Hmmm.. are folks using the draftpro list? Is that how they keep ending up with Gauthier at 12? You can use Bob's list now.

Cruz Lucius, by the way, always looks like a fun player to me. He's got a long way to go to get strong enough and fast enough but he's got so much patience and vision with the puck. Looks like good upside to me, I'd probably rank him around #50 if I was making such a list.

Reactions: CoachWithNoTeam

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
* Firkus and Hutson are both excellent hockey players trapped in terrible bodies for hockey. I'm not sure if Firkus getting to an acceptable weight to play his game or if Hutson's endocrinologist foretelling a surprise late growth spurt is more likely, but I honestly hope both of those things happen. They're both very fun players and would make the league more entertaining.

* Brad Lambert is a bad hockey player trapped in a good player's body. He does not have high end upside like many say but the right team could make him a useful NHL player if he's willing to accept any role they give him.

We already agree on all but a few players, so obviously I like your list. I will say though that I particularly enjoyed this juxtaposition at the end. Well said.

Reactions: LJ7

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio

(6) Simon Nemec, RD
(12) Cutter Gauthier, C
(96) Noah Warren, RD
(109) Cruz Lucius, RW
(203) Seamus Powell, LD

They have Noah Warren way too low In their list (which is also a couple months old). As the major said, use the Mckenzie 2022 list Instead.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Even though I know basically nothing about the class... I decided to hop in on the fun. Really focused on adding some size, physicality and smarts(according to McKenzie)

Just finished drafting using Draft Prospects Hockey’s NHL Draft Sim.

Columbus Blue Jackets

(6) David Jiricek, RD (6'3 190)
Big physical RHD with offensive upside

(12) Conor Geekie, C (6'4 205)
Big strong physical center

(44) Filip Bystedt, C (6'4 205)
Big strong center who went PPG+ in the j20 but didn't produce as much in the SHL(only 15 games)

(96) Ludwig Persson, C (6' 180)
Hardworking, speedy center with a good shot. 60 pts in 40+ games in j20, only 10 shl games.

(109) Hugo Havelid, G (5'10 174)
Excellent numbers, little on the smaller side

(203) Marcel Marcel, LW (6'4 219)
Huge winger that went PPG in Czechia u20, just hoping he puts it all together.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hemsky001

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
Even though I know basically nothing about the class... I decided to hop in on the fun. Really focused on adding some size, physicality and smarts(according to McKenzie)

Columbus Blue Jackets

Big strong center who went PPG+ in the j20 but didn't produce as much in the SHL(only 15 games)

Hardworking, speedy center with a good shot. 60 pts in 40+ games in j20, only 10 shl games.

Agree Jiricek rest njah, but Marcel Marcel is now my top pick, i want that shirt

Youngguns80

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio

Columbus Blue Jackets

No - Connor Geekie - no whammies 😂

Reactions: Xoggz22

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
No - Connor Geekie - no whammies 😂
What do you see that professional scouts don't?

McKenzie has him at 13.

If it's his skating that's worrying..

NHL Central Scouting director Dan Marr said at the combine that he expects Geekie's skating to improve, and it's worth noting that his older brother Morgan had similar concerns in his draft year but has held his own at the NHL level.

"His skating is not going to get any worse," Marr said. "It’s only going to improve. We can definitely factor in that he’s going to get stronger. And then, when he gets some proper coaching and gets some help with his technique, then his skating is only going to improve. But his skating is not a liability. His skating doesn’t stop him from going out, playing his game and getting the job done."

Geekie is able to compensate for the skating deficit, to a degree, through his vision and intelligence, which enable him to be in the right spots the majority of the time. That's an encouraging sign as he continues to develop.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
1. Logan Cooley
2. Shane Wright
3. Juraj Slafkovsky
4. David Jiricek
5. Pavel Mintyukov
6. Denton Mateychuk
7. Frank Nazar

8. Cutter Gauthier
9. Simon Nemec
10. Noah Ostlund
11. Marco Kasper

12. Joakim Kemell
13. Lian Bischel
14. Ivan Miroshnichenko
15. Matthew Savoie
16. Liam Ohgren
17. Danila Yurov
18. Jonathan Lekkerimaki
19. Isaac Howard
20. Kevin Korchinski

21. Owen Beck
22. Jimmy Snuggerud
23. Jagger Firkus
24. Brad Lambert
25. Conor Geekie
26. Lane Hutson
27. Jiri Kulich

28. Owen Pickering
29. Rutger McGroarty
30. Gleb Trikizov
31. Seamus Casey
32. Ryan Chesley

HM - Dimitri Buchelnikov, he's not top 32 but he's a fun MHL overager who has really fun highlights

* The top 3 is still hard to discern. I've tried to convince myself to have each of the 3 at #1 and have settled on that order for now. Cooley wins based on his dynamic puck skills, Wright stays 2nd because of his mind for the game, and Slafkovsky earns 3rd (over everyone else) with his physical gifts and approach. Wright has to become more tenacious somehow, whether it's a physical or mental issue he needs to fix. I think he could be the best player from this draft if he truly addresses whatever prevented him from absolutely killing his competition in juniors. Slafkovsky is the complete opposite in that regard. He is a dog and I am almost upset I couldn't bring myself to put him over Wright because I love the spirit he plays with.

* Mintyukov and Mateychuk may be my two personal favorite players in this class. Once Mintyukov is in an NHL system I believe we'll see the dynamic offensive skill with a much more focused defensive game since he'll not be tasked with doing absolutely everything on the ice. Mateychuk is probably the better tactical player of the two but it doesn't overcome Mintyukov's movement advantage. Jiricek edges both with his willingness to play a physical two-way game, and his frame which will likely allow him to do so. Also once Jiricek is strong enough for his frame I believe his skating will improve.

* #15 is not me saying Savoie sucks. He's good, but this draft gets very flat (and relatively good) from 12-20 for me. All of those guys are pretty interchangeable.

* I can put Miroshnichenko wherever I want because there are no consequences for my rankings, but if I worked for a team I'd probably take a safe bet over him. That said, he can PLAY. I hope he can have a nice career.

Good list, well done!

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Today’s simulation. Traded back at 6 with Buffalo and then traded back with Minnesota at 12. Ended with 3 firsts and 3 seconds - 9, 19, 24, 41, 44, and 56.

I could see a scenario where we like one right D more than the other, but the wrong one falls (and Buffalo wants him). And we think we can trade back a couple of spots and still get a left D we want.

Then if the people we want are hoping for at 12 (Kasper, etc) are gone, move back and see what pieces are available.

1656950408248.png

Youngguns80

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
What do you see that professional scouts don't?

McKenzie has him at 13.

If it's his skating that's worrying..
Hockey‘s Black Book has him at 23. They were high on him top 5 with his possibly in the 1st part of the year. After some in person viewings they dropped him and said his skating and pace is a problem. He can’t puck handle with skill at high speeds as well And his compete is meh. They rate his skating as a 5 and his compete as a 6 on a scale from 3-9.

As a center you have to work down low and get back to help with the defense. He constantly trails the play and his pace is wayyy off. That is the problem I have with him. I value skating as one of he most important traits for centers and defensemen. Compete is second on my list for Centers and he is lacking both.

Just for comparisons let’s compare him to Marco Kasper as a 2C/3C. Geekie has a higher offensive upside but that is the only thing he beats Marco Kasper. Kasper beats him in skating, compete, etc. Which would you choose? I would rather pick Marco Kasper. This is based on the rankings inside the simulator you are using that would be available.

Last - I see him as another version of Kevin Stenlund.

418049BC-CFAE-423C-9731-BE015A459BBB.jpeg
DA0F244A-8A3B-400D-9547-55B60FE62A14.jpeg

Reactions: Viqsi and LJ7

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Hockey‘s Black Book has him at 23. They were high on him top 5 with his possibly in the 1st part of the year. After some in person viewings they dropped him and said his skating and pace is a problem. He can’t puck handle with skill at high speeds as well And his compete is meh. They rate his skating as a 5 and his compete as a 6 on a scale from 3-9.

As a center you have to work down low and get back to help with the defense. He constantly trails the play and his pace is wayyy off. That is the problem I have with him. I value skating as one of he most important traits for centers and defensemen. Compete is second on my list for Centers and he is lacking both.

Just for comparisons let’s compare him to Marco Kasper as a 2C/3C. Geekie has a higher offensive upside but that is the only thing he beats Marco Kasper. Kasper beats him in skating, compete, etc. Which would you choose? I would rather pick Marco Kasper. This is based on the rankings inside the simulator you are using that would be available.

View attachment 564551View attachment 564552
Was reading this earlier and this stuck out

Geekie can make scouts salivate since he is one of the best centers on the 200 feet of the ice in this draft. As just mentioned, he was the player I’ve seen made the best backchecks this season. His underestimated speed allows him to catch players but this is not the only factor that allows him to regain possession of the puck, there are two other elements that come on top of that: his physical game and his work with his stick. Geekie knows how to position his body in front of his opponents to gain position against them and maximize the force he can generate with his body to shove his opponents. He is a master in the art of stealing the puck from his opponents. His play with his stick without the puck quickly made me think of that of Mark Stone. I saw him show great ingenuity to cut passes in the neutral zone by coming to lay his stick completely on the ice. He also has excellent ‘Hand-Eye’ coordination allowing him to prevent the opponent from leaving or entering the zone when he threw the puck in the air (this also served him several times to catch passes that would otherwise have been impossible to receive). He also supports his defenders behind his own net. In several games, Geekie was the center for Winnipeg who inherited the big defensive responsibilities to face the opposing team’s best players.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007

View attachment 564551View attachment 564552
I'm not a huge fan of Geekie but I think he's better physically than Stenlund, who is really poor along the walls and in puck battles despite his size.

I like Geekie as a scoring 3rd liner. But a top 20 pick is just barely too rich for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad