2022 Draft Thread - July 7-8 (CBJ to pick 6th (via CHI) and 12th overall)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Interesting but 2 caveats: 12-6-1 start unlikely to reoccur in 2nd half and schedule is much tougher on paper. Of course if last night is any indication maybe it is not.

I still see the Jackets with between 75-80 points and somewhere around 8-10 in draft position pre-lottery.
Take it with a grain of salt. When figuring the high/low spread, I averaged the current CBJ/CHI winning % with the historical winning percentage of the 1st and last place teams. They really should not be equally weighted because their games played are not equal, and I also did not factor in the strength of schedule. Maybe that would be fun :) I don’t have math to back it up, but I would wager that there is a decline in non-playoff team’s winning percentage after the TDL as well.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Am I the only one who would bet a fairly significant amount of money that Chicago wins the Draft Lottery leaving us with their 2023 pick (which of course would be after they make a playoff run)? That would be just our luck. When will the ping pong balls finally bounce our way!?

Ironically, the best case scenario (although incredibly unlikely) is they win the lottery this year and then win again next year. So the Jones (and Nolan Allan) trade gets us Sillinger, Boqvist, Bean, and Bedard/Michkov.

But yes, I half expect them to win the lottery this year and then make the playoffs next year. Because Jackets.

LoneFunyan

Proud of all the points
Nov 11, 2015
But yes, I half expect them to win the lottery this year and then make the playoffs next year. Because Jackets.

Troo CBJ fans know the scenario is Backhawks win the lottery this year, win the Cup next year.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Troo fans are trying so hard to be pessimistic here.

There's two obvious MVP talents next year and none this year. And the Hawks aren't just randomly bad this year.

Reactions: Xoggz22

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Sportsnet's 2022 NHL Draft Prospect Rankings: January Edition

Interesting tidbits from the rankings

Brad Lambert rated #2. Back to where he was rated a year or so ago?

Nemec & Jiricek ranked 12 &11 respectively. That's the lowest I've seen them ranked

RE: Jiricek "Difficult to see him suffer a serious knee injury in Czechia’s first WJC game. Injured players such as Morgan Rielly and Brett Connolly still found their way into the top 10 despite draft year injuries." Hadn't heard this.

Edit: According to posts on the mains he had to have surgery and needs 2 to 3 months recovery time.

Maye that will cause him to fall a bit in the draft. If he does I'd take a chance he recovers 100%.

Last edited:

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Sportsnet's 2022 NHL Draft Prospect Rankings: January Edition
Yesterday I watched some Moose Jaw Warriors' game highlights that included goals or assists by Jagger Firkus. Now I'm a little surprised to not spot him in any of these top 32 lists.

I guess he's not a pure C or RD but very intriguing prospect nonetheless. Offensively plays kind of like a hybrid of Bjorkstrand and Gagner but seems to have even quicker release and better hands than Bjorkstrand. Have any of you seen him play?

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Yesterday I watched some Moose Jaw Warriors' game highlights that included goals or assists by Jagger Firkus. Now I'm a little surprised to not spot him in any of these top 32 lists.

I guess he's not a pure C or RD but very intriguing prospect nonetheless. Offensively plays kind of like a hybrid of Bjorkstrand and Gagner but seems to have even quicker release and better hands than Bjorkstrand. Have any of you seen him play?

I would love to hear Rimer try to say Firkus several times per game.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

He's listed at 5'10 and 154 lbs, probably why he is not considered a potential 1st rounder.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
Take it with a grain of salt. When figuring the high/low spread, I averaged the current CBJ/CHI winning % with the historical winning percentage of the 1st and last place teams. They really should not be equally weighted because their games played are not equal, and I also did not factor in the strength of schedule. Maybe that would be fun :) I don’t have math to back it up, but I would wager that there is a decline in non-playoff team’s winning percentage after the TDL as well.
I haven't done the work to analyze the data, but my recollection as a long time fan - since day one- is that the CBJ once out of the playoff hunt tend to improve their winning percentage.

I'd expect Chicago to finish around 26th-27th and the Jackets to finish around 23rd-24th. That would leave the Jackets first round draft picks 5-6 and 8-9. Picks that build good depth but not likely to bring a superstar franchise player they can build around.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
That would leave the Jackets first round draft picks 5-6 and 8-9. Picks that build good depth but not likely to bring a superstar franchise player they can build around.

This year the draft is a total mess. There might not be a superstar. But if there is, they might be there at 6 or 10 even. I'll be more nervous about getting a top 2 pick next year.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
upload_2022-1-17_11-49-20.png

Chicago on a mini-heater having won four in a row. They're up to 8th-worst in the league by points %. The Hawks are 7 points out of the playoffs with a game in hand and might get Jones back tonight if he's asymptomatic or however the protocol rules are now.

Montreal and Arizona are putting on all-time tanks right now. As is, I think the bottom 5 are just about "uncatchable" for either the Jackets or Blackhawks . The most ideal situation - of the realistic possibilities - is Chicago and Columbus finishing 7th and 6th worst, respectively.

If Chicago sells at the deadline I'm not sure who they can move. Calvin de Haan is on an expiring contract and that's basically it? Both of their goalies go UFA, too.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
@majormajor you might have already saw, but Brad Lambert has terminated his contract and will be signing with Lahti Pelicans. His ice time and production should go up (if he wants to help his draft stock). I know his production was a concern you had. Something to keep an eye on.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
@majormajor you might have already saw, but Brad Lambert has terminated his contract and will be signing with Lahti Pelicans. His ice time and production should go up (if he wants to help his draft stock). I know his production was a concern you had. Something to keep an eye on.

Is Brad Lambert’s dad the LaVar Ball of hockey? Does Brad have brothers? Is Brad going to end up on some weird Lithuanian team?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
As is, I think the bottom 5 are just about "uncatchable" for either the Jackets or Blackhawks . The most ideal situation - of the realistic possibilities - is Chicago and Columbus finishing 7th and 6th worst, respectively.

I think there's a decent chance that Ottawa has a strong second half (their usual), and New Jersey and Philly are both capable of passing the Jackets. So I'd say 5th worst is in reach, with perhaps 9th on the high end for the Jackets. Chicago will be more likely between 6th and 11th.

Reactions: AmishLandJackets

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I think Lambert is too talented to not score if he gets the ice time. I could see him playing his way back to the top of the draft.

Edit: Funny enough considering some of our recent conversations here - there are some prospect watchers that have called Lambert "a slightly more talented Jack Roslovic". And I think there's some truth to that description. He is an incredible puck carrier in the neutral zone but hasn't figured it out yet in the two ends.

Last edited:
Reactions: AmishLandJackets

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
I think Lambert is too talented to not score if he gets the ice time. I could see him playing his way back to the top of the draft.

Edit: Funny enough considering some of our recent conversations here - there are some prospect watchers that have called Lambert "a slightly more talented Jack Roslovic". And I think there's some truth to that description. He is an incredible puck carrier in the neutral zone but hasn't figured it out yet in the two ends.

"A slightly more talented Jack Roslovic". Lmao that's a good one :laugh:. It will end up as accurate as the classic 2020 "Lundell has no offensive upside" take, but I like it

pled

Sep 7, 2009
The year the draft isn't deep at all and the 1st overall ends up being Nail Yakupov 2.0?
pretty good year not to tank. I don't like the idea of drafting mid round usually but I wouldn't mind that much. pretty sure the team will draft same guy 5th or 15th

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014

Style wise, maybe you could think that. However Lambert is a much better prospect than Roslovic was at that age AINEC tbh.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
"A slightly more talented Jack Roslovic". Lmao that's a good one :laugh:. It will end up as accurate as the classic 2020 "Lundell has no offensive upside" take, but I like it

I think it's apt and I also would potentially take Lambert top 5. It doesn't mean that he isn't good.

pled

Sep 7, 2009
I think Luneau would be good next to zach but he isn't ready next year. if picks aren't top 10 I guess.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
upload_2022-1-20_11-55-34.png

Chicago sits at 8 and Columbus at 9, but moving in opposite directions at the moment. Vancouver and the Islanders have clawed pack to Bettman-.500.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
I watched London vs Guelph today (from the 2nd period onwards). Guelph had two draft-eligible, relatively high ranked centers in their line up, Danny Zhilkin (31st in McKenzie's mid-season rankings) and Matthew Poitras (41st). Zhilkin (6'2") has good reach, and puck handling skills looked pretty good as well for a player of his size. Also thought the skating was fine. Wasn't very involved in parts of the game I happened to see though. All in all I felt like I didn't get a proper grasp of his talents from this game, hopefully I'll get to see more of him later this year.

Poitras (5'11") had two assists on the game and was in my opinion the best offensive player for the Storm. Great offensive instincts, he seems to know where to get on the ice to wait for breakout passes, handles the puck well (not super quick hands but fast enough for OHL), also has patience and makes smart decisions with the puck. Skating speed and body strength in general did not impress particularly but I didn't see any flaws on the plays that can be hard to fix or which could prevent him from becoming an NHL player one day.

Reactions: majormajor
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad