2022 Draft Thread - July 7-8 (CBJ to pick 6th (via CHI) and 12th overall)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

Latest projections have Jackets drafting #6 and #7.

As the season has been progressing I kinda have been wanting this scenario to play out similar to this. One more draft with two more top 10 picks should really set this organization up beautifully.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
If we could get one of those two top defensemen and Lambert and a couple #1's for next years draft in trades at the deadline that would be a helluva rebound. I also have to say I do not like getting drubbed, but I did expect it, and on the whole this season has had some entertaining moments. I would like to catch fire next year like St Louis did. To do that you need a few guys to really overachieve and you need some trade surprises like ROR. but mostly you need a goalie to just play out of his mind. Columbus loves a winner.

Reactions: majormajor

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
It seems like a pretty solid top 10 with some variety and interesting players. If we can manage to get two in the top 10, I think we could expect prospects better than anyone we have in our system. There are a handful of top end prospects and it will be interesting to see how the final rankings shake out as the season goes on. Wright, Nemec, Cooley, Savoie… Lambert was making noise at the brief WJC… Jiricek seemed to get hurt and could drop. And there are 5-6 other players in the conversation for a top 5 selection. If we can have Chicago plummet and get a little luck with our pick and somehow end up with two in the top 5 or so, look out.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I was looking at some mock drafts today. Two had us taking Kemell and Jiricek at 6 and 10. I don’t see it playing out that way, but I could live with it. @majormajor would love this.

Post-World Juniors Way-Too-Early 2022 NHL Mock Draft

Wright
Savoie
Lambert
Nemec
Cooley
Kemell
Yurok
Nazar
Jiricek
Slafkovsky

2022 NHL Mock Draft | 2022 NHL Draft | NHL Draft

upload_2022-1-8_13-0-31.jpeg

Reactions: ColumbusTrill

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I was looking at some mock drafts today. Two had us taking Kemell and Jiricek at 6 and 10. I don’t see it playing out that way, but I could live with it. @majormajor would love this.

Post-World Juniors Way-Too-Early 2022 NHL Mock Draft

Wright
Savoie
Lambert
Nemec
Cooley
Kemell
Yurok
Nazar
Jiricek
Slafkovsky

2022 NHL Mock Draft | 2022 NHL Draft | NHL Draft

View attachment 496656

I would love it.

Currently I have Lambert and Geekie a bit ahead of Kemell - I would be taking them at 6. But any draft where you get any of those forwards AND Jiricek on top of it is a massive coup.

My current list:

Wright
Lambert
Geekie
Jiricek

Yurov
Kemell
Savoie

Slafkovsky
Nemec
Cooley

Miroshnichenko
Pickering
Casey
Trikozov
Mesar

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Haven't really looked too hard at the draft but I'd think we'd go with the big center (Geekie) over an undersized winger (Kemell), but maybe Kemell is a play driver like Panarin.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I'm not an expert by any means but to me I am a bit disappointed in what I read about this year's prospects. For a draft that was supposed to be very deep, I don't get that feeling. Seems like there is a pretty good top 6 to 8 or so and then it kind of falls off a cliff. Maybe (hopefully) it is being influenced a lot by Covid and lack of playing and scouting opportunities.

AmishLandJackets

Jun 5, 2021
I have just started to step my feet into looking at the Top 10-15 picks in the NHL draft this year. Mainly, I'm just looking at reviews by Scott Wheeler and Corey Pronman. But, There does seem to be "more natural" centers at the top of this draft compared to last year. I mean- Last year, After the Ducks took McTavish- There really weren't any natural centers on the board until Sillinger. I'm not saying that we will solve our center ice problems and draft a #1 Center this year... But, it should theoretically help our chances of deepening our Prospect/NHL center depth charts if Kent Johnson just stays on the wings, rather than making the transition.

Also, I'm really intrigued about the idea of grabbing one of Nemec/Jiricek in addition to a forward.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
If 6th ends up being the highest one and neither of RDs are there, that means a damn good forward slipped, snag him and maybe ship the 10th or whatever the lower one is for more immediate RD help.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
The knock on Geekie is his skating. How big of a concern is that, draftniks?
I'm not an expert but I don't see it as a major issue on his game. For sure not the fastest or the most agile player out there on the highlight videos that I've seen but his strides look effective. Much better than Sillinger for instance. I'm more concerned about his inconsistent passing, there are a few examples on this video:

1:59 - An opportunity to pass to #23 on a 3vs2, decides to dangle instead which doesn't lead to a high danger scoring chance
6:00 - Linemate is wide open in the middle of the ice on a zone exit, decides to carry the puck himself on left wing and almost turns it over in neutral zone
6:13 - 3vs2, a cross ice pass going too behind which ruins the whole rush
7:08 - another 3vs2, pass gets intercepted
7:24 - kind of desperate and hard of a pass to the teammate's skates
8:04 - inaccurate back door pass attempt that goes wide
8:15 - another inaccurate pass, difficult for teammate to handle

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The knock on Geekie is his skating. How big of a concern is that, draftniks?

No concern for me. He's an awkward skater but he gets there, and he might get there even faster with improved technique.

It's the puck decisions, like @tunnelvision says, that are more of the concern. But that just reminds me of PLD, it might stop him from being a big star but he'll still be a really good center. I have Geekie in my top group of 4. I see a 1C there, but maybe not a guy that helps the PP. He's not even on his team's top unit, if I remember correctly.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Interesting thing about Slafkovsky as a center. Words of Craig Ramsay, the coach of Slovak team after the game against Czech republic where Juraj played there.

"I asked several players if they played center. Slafkovsky said he has no problem with it and I like that he's willing to do what we want him to do. It was a good experience for him. Both Pospisil and Cehlarik went to FO one by one. The system we play requires us to go back on defense and offense, so everybody has to be able to play that position. Slafkovský did it well."
Ramsay chválil. Slafkovský ukázal, ako vyriešiť problém s centrom

By the way, Craig Ramsay is a systems coach.

EDIT: I`m afraid I can`t find that game although our others are here so if anybody wants he can watch Knazko. Of course Nemec and Slafkovsky too but Juraj only as a winger. Hledejte: slovensko cesko ms 2021 riga

Last edited:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Central Scouting just listed Geekie as #4 NA player in their mid -season rankings.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I made this projection for us, based on point percentage, then compared it back to averages for the last 3 full NHL seasons to get the high/low bands.

Interesting but 2 caveats: 12-6-1 start unlikely to reoccur in 2nd half and schedule is much tougher on paper. Of course if last night is any indication maybe it is not.

I still see the Jackets with between 75-80 points and somewhere around 8-10 in draft position pre-lottery.

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
Am I the only one who would bet a fairly significant amount of money that Chicago wins the Draft Lottery leaving us with their 2023 pick (which of course would be after they make a playoff run)? That would be just our luck. When will the ping pong balls finally bounce our way!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad