Olympics: 2022 Beijing Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
They were never going to catch Graabak.

Pretty sure Germany will take silver. But difficult to say when they aren’t racing at all. For all I know the Japanese is brilliant in 500m.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
They were never going to catch Graabak.

Pretty sure Germany will take silver. But difficult to say when they aren’t racing at all. For all I know the Japanese is brilliant in 500m.
They never even tried to catch him. If they were working together, who knows. 5km are short, though. Perhaps under the old format.

Last edited:

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
They never even tried to catch him. If they were working together, who knows.

I think we know. He is among the best at cross country and he is clearly in very solid form. I don't think Germany would have gotten any help. Germany might have been able to catch up some seconds, but not all that in 5k (unless Graabak suddenly had gotten a "Tandrevold" or something).

A bit surprised how solid Norway were. Without Riiber Norway would normally have needed some fantastic effort from Graabak to win, but this time it wasn't needed. Nordic has been rock solid through these Olympics. Definitely the best team effort Norway has had in any discipline. The only team where it feels like everyone were in top shape (except Riiber for obvious reasons).

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
The gambled - somewhat the same as with Riiber. Riiber didn't know, but clearly he thought he was going to do better than he did.

This is the reason why I think Norway didn't want to gamble for the relay. If Riiber couldn't do it in the individual race at least it only hurt himself.

Germany could obviously have taken gold with someone else than Frenzel, but most likely I think they would have ended up with silver regardless.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
The gambled - somewhat the same as with Riiber. Riiber didn't know, but clearly he thought he was going to do better than he did.

This is the reason why I think Norway didn't want to gamble for the relay. If Riiber couldn't do it in the individual race at least it only hurt himself.

Germany could obviously have taken gold with someone else than Frenzel, but most likely I think they would have ended up with silver regardless.
I think so too. With Rydzek not in his best shape as well, gold was never on the table.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Agreed, her coaches will have to ask themselves whether getting to watch that was worth it all. Hopefully they'll draw the right conclusions and let Valiyeva come back as a clean athlete some day with different people around her.

Reactions: Jussi

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Such a crappy situation for all. It says something when all the skaters waiting in the winners room were shocked and muted afterwards.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
I get where Lipinski and Weir are coming from, but jesus chist show some compassion. Pompous ***holes. Valieva is the biggest victim of this all.
Poor kid had the weight of the world on her shoulders.

Tutberidze is a bad person. That's all.

Reactions: Jussi

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Damn. Canada vs US for bronze in curling. Sweden just too strong. :(

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Have to think there is a come to jesus moment for Curling Canada if they come away from these Olympics empty handed....something needs to change.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Have to think there is a come to jesus moment for Curling Canada if they come away from these Olympics empty handed....something needs to change.
I don’t know what they’re supposed to do, based on the discourse Canada still has 4 or 5 of the best teams in the world on both sides, but only one can go to the Olympics.

USA lost handle of their weights late in the game. Chris and Matt had it on their faces that things weren’t making sense later in the game. The British commentator was awful by the way.

Reactions: Uncle Rotter

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I don’t know what they’re supposed to do, based on the discourse Canada still has 4 or 5 of the best teams in the world on both sides, but only one can go to the Olympics.
I have heard suggestions to have the Olympic teams decided in the spring the year before so they have more time to actually prepare and change some of the residency requirements to allow stronger teams to form. Whatever it is, I don't think you can just do nothing and run it back exactly the same.

RedLeader

Feb 13, 2008
Canada lost to Edin, it´s not like they are the favorites against him being 5 time world champion with 3 in a row coming into this olympics.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I have heard suggestions to have the Olympic teams decided in the spring the year before so they have more time to actually prepare and change some of the residency requirements to allow stronger teams to form. Whatever it is, I don't think you can just do nothing and run it back exactly the same.
Prepare for what? They play all season together anyways. Teams from other countries come there to train and play Canadian tournaments because that’s the toughest competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad