Olympics: 2022 Beijing Olympics: Cross Country thread

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Felt for Manificat a bit. Another bronze. Niskanen had an amazing leg but Chevotkin did the damage early on. RUS, NOR and FRA sharing the medals. Again. It's a shame this sport does not get the coverage it should as it is so tough. Nice to see some genuine snow at the games as well.

Yeah, Niskanen is a monster, it's just other Finns are sheeps... or rather cows on skis.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Generally studies have shown a world class sportsperson in a particular event does not lead to a new generation of world class stars from that nation. It seems counter-intuitive but there it is.

I didn’t necessarily expect many world class German skiers, but they had for a time a relay team that was competing with the best. And they had top class guys like Angerer and Teichmann. You would think that would at least lead to some more interest from kids? And with volume you will always get some new decent talents at least.

Fair enough that cycling in Norway might not always be the story. But we now got so many good cyclists even if we haven’t got anyone as good as Hushovd or Kristoff from some years back. That is what I was expecting from Germany. Better volume without necessarily that many world class talents (those are a bit more random - Cologna used to be the best even if the Swiss got hardly any depth etc).

Somehow they just got worse after having that fantastic generation in Germany.

Reactions: BMann

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
Yeah, Niskanen is a monster, it's just other Finns are sheeps... or rather cows on skis.

Well it has been a little underwhelming watching Team Russia in some events and particularly what is happening around Valieva although Trusova and Scherbakova can win gold and silver still. But Bolshunov has been at last turning silver and bronze into gold. Awesome effort from him. And young Stepanova leading the women home the other day. She's just a kid in terms of the sport. And the young ski jumper Danill Sadreev.

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
I didn’t necessarily expect many world class German skiers, but they had for a time a relay team that was competing with the best. And they had top class guys like Angerer and Teichmann. You would think that would at least lead to some more interest from kids? And with volume you will always get some new decent talents at least.

Fair enough that cycling in Norway might not always be the story. But we now got so many good cyclists even if we haven’t got anyone as good as Hushovd or Kristoff from some years back. That is what I was expecting from Germany. Better volume without necessarily that many world class talents (those are a bit more random - Cologna used to be the best even if the Swiss got hardly any depth etc).

You would expect some upturn in youth performances Havre but maybe and sadly cross country skiing does not grab the kids as there is so much competition for youngsters to choose from and a decline in kids playing sport unfortunately. I had a couple of articles on this subject Havre but have lost the links about how a star performer does not necessarily create more young superstars in their wake. I agree with you that it seems that it cannot be but these sports scientists and statisticians analyzed large amounts of data and multiple sports. One example I do recall was Federer and a lack of young Swiss players coming in his wake.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
You would expect some upturn in youth performances Havre but maybe and sadly cross country skiing does not grab the kids as there is so much competition for youngsters to choose from and a decline in kids playing sport unfortunately. I had a couple of articles on this subject Havre but have lost the links about how a star performer does not necessarily create more young superstars in their wake. I agree with you that it seems that it cannot be but these sports scientists and statisticians analyzed large amounts of data and multiple sports. One example I do recall was Federer and a lack of young Swiss players coming in his wake.

I can see that. Norway have had two of the world’s best in javlin, but of course that is such a niche event one wouldn’t expect a huge number of Norwegians suddenly dominating that event.

I cannot comment on tennis in for example Switzerland, but considering the size of the sport I wouldn’t expect them to have many top class talents regardless, but has the number of kids playing changed?

Cycling has definitely completely changed in Norway. Credit to the federation as well. They have been good at keeping the momentum up. Handball for women another good example. Norway had some profiles coming through in the late 80s and 90s and we saw a massive improvement in recruitment among girls - which has led to Norway being among the best for years and years 10-20 years after.

It might be that biathlon completely took over? Not sure. And even if Germany are solid in biathlon they aren’t amazing there either. I haven’t checked this, but to me it seems like Germany in general are weaker in winter sports than they used to. Still strong in skeleton etc I guess. Stats might prove me completely wrong though.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
If you would have bet on that women's team sprint result, you'd be a rich man. I can't freaking believe it.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Didn't expect that of course, but late in the games, high altitude, tough conditions etc.

Even Johaug seem to have emptied out - which makes things a bit more unpredictable. Hening has been rock solid and that sprint was so good. To beat the Swede like that takes something.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Very impressive by Valnes - keeping up with Niskanen and Bolsjunov.

Klæbo is just a machine.

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
What about Joni Mäki aka Jonah Hill? Does look like a horse. Terentjev looked like a sheep there, silver to Finland.

Very annoying for Finland though, four 4th places..painful.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Frida Karlsson out for the 30k.

I really hope she is not ruining her career. For a young athlete she has had a couple of troublesome seasons now. She has the potential to be one of the best ever - so it would be a shame if she can't stay healthy.

That is the art of these extreme endurance sports I guess. Much bigger risk training too much than not enough (Emil Iversen clearly ruined his season training too much).

Bure80

Jun 27, 2011

There are different reasons for the decline of skiing in Germany. One is the climate. In the last 10 years the most winter were very mild with not much snow. A huge difference to years when Sommerfeldt, Teichmann or Angerer growing up. In general you can do cross country skiing only in mid mountains. Also there is not to much interest for this sport. Dont know how many kids didnt even knew these athletes.
Most of these sportsmen in cross country skiing and biathlon where spotted and promoted in East Germany too. Obviously sport had a much higher importance for GDR. The support for young athletes was one of the best in the world.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Can’t complain with Bolsjunov winning, but what crap skis Krüger had. Not that Krüger would have beaten Bolsjunov in a sprint anyway. Røthe could have, but he also clearly had slower skis.

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
Bolshunov won it and became the ski king of this Olympic games with 3 gold medals 1 silver and 1 bronze (5 total medals).

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
Klæbo sick. A shame. In a 28k he clearly could have won.
LoL no. He is a sprinter. Moreover, he would not won the actual 50km race.

By the way it was really an embarrassment on part of the organization of the games to reduce the distance to help one individual against all others athletes. Real shame.

Bolshunov right now in the interview is saying that the weather is ok to run 50km.

Last edited:

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
LoL no. He is a sprinter. Moreover, he would not won the actual 50km race.

By the way it was really an embarrassment on part of the organization of the games to reduce the distance to help one individual against all others athletes. Real shame.

Bolshunov right now in the interview is saying that the weather is ok to run 50km.

LOL? Talk about clueless post.

You are aware he was first in the World Championship 50k last time around?

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
Bronze for Kepa! Diggins finally got a medal with the silver.
That's actually her second medal of these games. She got the bronze in the individual sprints as well. Not bad for an American skiier adding those to the team gold medal she got at the last Olympics.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Not bad, but unfortunately this was not peak Diggins for the Olympics I think.

Might not have gotten a gold regardless of course as Sundling is something else in the sprint. And Johaug is also quite unique.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
There are different reasons for the decline of skiing in Germany. One is the climate. In the last 10 years the most winter were very mild with not much snow. A huge difference to years when Sommerfeldt, Teichmann or Angerer growing up. In general you can do cross country skiing only in mid mountains. Also there is not to much interest for this sport. Dont know how many kids didnt even knew these athletes.
Most of these sportsmen in cross country skiing and biathlon where spotted and promoted in East Germany too. Obviously sport had a much higher importance for GDR. The support for young athletes was one of the best in the world.

We are seeing the same in Norway with much shorter winters, but cross country is probably as popular as ever. Both in terms of people going themselves and the attendance at events. Before Covid the Holmenkollen-weekend was insane. Racers were complaining about losing their hearing during the race - and not at the stadium, but at spots out on the course.

In terms of getting people interested cycling, cross-country and I guess golf have been by far the best over the last 20 years. Golf is a bit different as it isn't a big sport among kids, but cycling and cross-country is (CC much much bigger than cycling, but often something kids combine - Fossesholm as an example is also among the world's best MTB-cyclists).

Even here for most of the year cross-country skiers train mainly under "summer" conditions. Not sure if that in itself is that much of a limiting factor. Of course it helps being on snow for at least some months, but the main part of the training for kids would be without regular skis.

I think you have to make it "sexy" somehow. I know a lot of people both in Belgium and Holland having spent many years working there - and so many of them will go to the Alps to do alpine skiing. They are probably all better than me at it - even if I grew up just kilometres away from a hill. For Norwegians you might take your family to the mountains to do cross-country. That is what happened when I grew up. We went more often to the mountains to do cross-country than alpine skiing.

In Norway cycling have managed to develop a new "sexy" culture. When I grew up hardly anyone had road bikes and the idea of racing on bikes was completely foreign to us (at least road - one guy I grew up with did MTB racing). Now you see road bikes everywhere - even if the season here of course is shorter than in most other places.

Time will tell, but it seems like cross-country is a dying sport. I do think it is possible to "fix", but not with the current leadership in FIS etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00