Prospect Info: [2022 - 62nd] Lane Hutson (NCAA - Boston University)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Get bigger and stronger or go home .
Cale Makar is 5'11"; 187 lbs. If Hutson reaches that height, which isn't inconceivable currently, his playing style will draw comparisons with the former, which would have struck this forum as a bombastic statement last summer, but is not so absurd right now. A lot of teams would happily take Makar at 5'11"; many more will regret letting Hutson slip to #62.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
The 150 lbs soaking wet is a bit far from the perfect size imo.
Patrick Kane is 5'10 and 175 lbs and Hutson is already almost 5'10 and around 160 lbs. Hutson is going to add another 10 pounds for sure but he's almost the perfect size already.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Patrick Kane is 5'10 and 175 lbs and Hutson is already almost 5'10 and around 160 lbs. Hutson is going to add another 10 pounds for sure but he's almost the perfect size already.
Patrick Kane is a forward though

Size is more concern for Defenseman because they are getting hit more often, need to win more physical battle and the reach is something valuable

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
There are several smallish D that are thriving in this era of the NHL. The days of Dmen clutching, hooking and holding are gone.
Lane will get bigger and stronger as he matures into a young man.

Makes no sense that no team wanted to take a flier on him until 62nd.
Reminds me of 14 teams passing up on an elite young goal scorer because he was 5'7.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Get bigger and stronger or go home .
giphy.gif

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
You should have been more specific, Kane is a winger. We saw many elite wingers that were small. No real complete elite D at 170 lbs. It's harder for a coach to "hide" a small D, even more if he is supposed to play top-4. Hutson should not be compared to short Ds like Bouillon and Krug. Yes they were short bu not small, both were around 200 lbs. Hutson project to have the size of Samuel Girard, but for all the talent Girard has, in the playoffs the last two years it was hard for him physically. He was overmatched and last year was injured with a broken sternum. I am not saying it will be impossible for Hutson to become a complete and elite D in the NHL, but if he he cannot go beyond 175 lbs, it will be very though.

Patrick Kane is a forward though

Size is more concern for Defenseman because they are getting hit more often, need to win more physical battle and the reach is something valuable

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
There are several smallish D that are thriving in this era of the NHL. The days of Dmen clutching, hooking and holding are gone.
Lane will get bigger and stronger as he matures into a young man.

Makes no sense that no team wanted to take a flier on him until 62nd.
Reminds me of 14 teams passing up on an elite young goal scorer because he was 5'7.

depends though, you can be a smaller D if you are surrounded by a big core back there.. its a challenge to be an effective small blueliner. Forwards can totally get away with a lack of height/weight. Elite skill trumps the size factor, remains to be seen how it will evolve here.

Reactions: Vachon23

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Karlsson is listed at 6'0 190. He's pretty jacked now but I imagine in his earlier days he was 15-20 pounds lighter. He didn't need size to be, uh, effective for the senators.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
You should have been more specific, Kane is a winger. We saw many elite wingers that were small. No real complete elite D at 170 lbs. It's harder for a coach to "hide" a small D, even more if he is supposed to play top-4. Hutson should not be compared to short Ds like Bouillon and Krug. Yes they were short bu not small, both were around 200 lbs. Hutson project to have the size of Samuel Girard, but for all the talent Girard has, in the playoffs the last two years it was hard for him physically. He was overmatched and last year was injured with a broken sternum. I am not saying it will be impossible for Hutson to become a complete and elite D in the NHL, but if he he cannot go beyond 175 lbs, it will be very though.
All of our young defensemen except Harris are big and massive, and Harris isn't really small, so we can afford to have a smallish player like Hutson.

Regardless of his size Hutson is going to be Hutson, he's going to keep doing Lane Hutson things for our viewing pleasure for a long time.

Karlsson is listed at 6'0 190. He's pretty jacked now but I imagine in his earlier days he was 15-20 pounds lighter. He didn't need size to be, uh, effective for the senators.
Karlsson fell off in the draft because he was 165 lbs, which is close to what Hutson is right-now.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Tbh if he's 5'10 or 5'11 it doesn't matter much if the rest of our Dcore is:

AX 6'4
Mailloux 6'3
Guhle 6'2
Barron 6'2
Kovacevic 6'4

Like 5 big boys can help shelter the one small lad.

(I'm assuming Harris is part of a Dubois deal)

Reactions: Redux91

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
The kid is having a terrific FRESHMAN season, he's filling out and even gaining an inch or two.
Why can't this fan base ever just sit back and enjoy it.
For ever Caufield we've had 10 Scherbacks.
You think we'd learn to just enjoy the kid's progress, period.
Does it look like we're not enjoying it?

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
The kid is having a terrific FRESHMAN season, he's filling out and even gaining an inch or two.

I think we are all enjoying it but some posters are taking it too far and simply need to be brought back to reality. Hutson is hella fun to watch when he has the puck but there are still very legitimate concerns with his game. He is super young and is a tenacious competitor so I would not bet against him but until he proves that his game will translate against bigger faster players like the one's who gave him a terrible time at the WJC's in his own end I will suppress any over the top enthusiasm.

For some reason people get their panties in a knot when faced with objective analysis but they shouldn't as I was glad when we picked him and am just as happy with the pick today. I just consider him more of a project than others who think he is on the verge of NHL stardom. If Lane can add significant mass and make significant improvement to his explosiveness/acceleration and pivots/backskating. He may very well be a star in the making but he is not very close to NHL calibre in these areas at this point. I expect him to play at least another season of college hockey and is likely 3 years away from the NHL if he can make enough gains on his weaknesses.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
I think we are all enjoying it but some posters are taking it too far and simply need to be brought back to reality. Hutson is hella fun to watch when he has the puck but there are still very legitimate concerns with his game. He is super young and is a tenacious competitor so I would not bet against him but until he proves that his game will translate against bigger faster players like the one's who gave him a terrible time at the WJC's in his own end I will suppress any over the top enthusiasm.

For some reason people get their panties in a knot when faced with objective analysis but they shouldn't as I was glad when we picked him and am just as happy with the pick today. I just consider him more of a project than others who think he is on the verge of NHL stardom. If Lane can add significant mass and make significant improvement to his explosiveness/acceleration and pivots/backskating. He may very well be a star in the making but he is not very close to NHL calibre in these areas at this point. I expect him to play at least another season of college hockey and is likely 3 years away from the NHL if he can make enough gains on his weaknesses.

As if there’s no big, fast and even older player in the NCAA compared to the WJC…

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013

I think it's Lane Hutson who is taking this too far. As long as he's posting record numbers the hype will continue.

He's playing today I think, must watch.

Reactions: Toene and nicehiss

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
As if there’s no big, fast and even older player in the NCAA compared to the WJC…

Put the strawman back in the closet.....the difference between top WJC teams is there are no crappy players to exploit. Each NCAA team has at least a handful of bonafied sh***ers to take advantage of.

And for the record Lane has consistently struggled against top college players with size and speed, it was just greatly magnified at the WJC where he was not trusted after numerous poor showings in the dzone.

Why is it so hard to admit the truth? He is still a great prospect but still has alot of development ahead before being considered for the NHL. That is not an attack on the kid as he is a freaking freshman and was a year younger than most of the top WJC kids. We should all be excited but the over the top homer hyperbole is nonsensical at this point.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
And for the record Lane has consistently struggled against top college players with size and speed, it was just greatly magnified at the WJC where he was not trusted after numerous poor showings in the dzone.
18 years old players almost never play a prominent role in the WJC unless they're phenoms like Bedard or Michkov. Lane Hutson did not struggle at the WJC, what are you talking about? He should have been used more, then his team might have had a chance to win the gold.

This is what it looked like for defenders under 19 years old at the WJC:

And before you accuse me of stat watching, I'll pre-emptively tell you that I watched all of the games.

Last edited:

Nova_Scotia_Vees

Jun 1, 2004
Thank you- Its so nice to see this kid flourish and progress. I think sometimes people forget that these are just kids and developing.

Reactions: bopeep
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad